Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help eating more page

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member

Need help eating more

I'm convinced that I need to be eating more, but I'm not quite sure how. My typical breakfast used to be 3 poached eggs but now I'm trying to add something more caloric. I've had success with the almond pancakes (with butter cut in as they were too dry otherwise) and fresh breakfast sausages. Lunch used to be a big salad: wimpy even with 1-2 T of oil so I'm trying to add some meat to it. Dinner's fairly standard, meat and veggies of some sort.

My problem is that even with the breakfast and lunch modifications I'm barely pushing 2000 kcals a day, and I'm convinced it's the reason I'm seeing zero progress in my work-outs. When having lunch and dinner I get up from the table full, so the ways I would get more from the meal are have more meat and less veg, which I don't want to do for micronutritional reasons, or add more fat to the veggies, which I'm trying to do but doesn't always work. It's not that I'm fat-averse (169g yesterday), but without something to sop it up I just don't like the feeling of oil-coated broccoli.

The solution that suggests itself to me is to have snacks available but I don't really know what would work. It would ideally be something that requires minimal prep time and is portable -- those attributes would enable me to take it to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: For completeness' sake (and because they came up some posts down), my stats: Male, 5'11", 128lbs. Don't know my bodyfat but I'm one of those terminally skinny guys.
    Last edited by AndreaReina; 12-07-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Do you drink coffee or tea? Coconut milk is a wonderful caloric addition.

For portable snacks- pork rinds and nuts come to mind. I like to treat myself to good VERY dark chocolate. That's usually good for about 180 calories and it's mostly fat if you get really good dark stuff.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    Nuts.
    I have nuts and dried fruit as a snack.
    Also, you can easily add nuts to a salad and they are packed with calories.
    Or nut butters. Almond butter and apple slices - minimal prep time and portable.

I get my daily caffeine from espresso -- no cream for this boy. But pork rinds, now there's an idea. And it just so happens, I have the raw material in my freezer.

I'm concerned about the Omega-6 content of nuts, so I'm keeping my consumption moderate. That's actually the one thing that really bothers me about the almond meal pancakes, 12 grams of O6 is a lot!

Diana, how dark is your choc, and where do you get it? Trader Joe's 72% dark has something like 5g sugar per square so though I like it, I don't eat too much. Then again, it's not like I started eating primally to fix insulin resistance, so I can probably handle some sugar.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    Diana, how dark is your choc, and where do you get it? Trader Joe's 72% dark has something like 5g sugar per square so though I like it, I don't eat too much. Then again, it's not like I started eating primally to fix insulin resistance, so I can probably handle some sugar.
    Trader Joe's doesn't make anything darker than 72% in the "pound plus" bars, but they do stock some 86% by the checkout. I find that the darker the chocolate, the less likely I am to overeat on it - I don't think I'm insulin resistant, but sugar seems to override all my natural hunger signals.

Anyway, try tossing half an avocado in your salad at lunch if you want to get your calories up. Delicious and nutritious!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    for just about any woman here, 2000 kcal is plenty. Mark's wife, Carrie eats about that daily and lifts heavy with a personal trainer multiple times a week.

What is it that you are and aren't seeing in your workouts. In other words, specifically, in terms of performance, what are you trying to change?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    If you ate 169 grams of fat yesterday then that is over 1500 calories just from fat. If you are shoring that up with meat and veg I can't understand how you're having a hard time coming up with more than 2000 calories.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Liquid calories are the easiest way to increase your daily intake, if that's your goal. For example, mix equal parts coconut milk and whole milk, add a dash of cream and either a banana or some chocolate or something. That right there is a big daily caloric surplus. Drink before bed, you'll add weight.

My grand total yesterday was 2125 according to FitDay so I'm able to exceed it but I need to make a particular effort to really include those fats. I've only recently made these changes so it may be that I'll be seeing better results just with that but everything I've read and heard tells me that I still need more.

I'm doing the bodyweight routine from the ebook and haven't seen any increases in my rep count; I go until my muscles physically can't do the next rep. (Knee) Push-ups actually just went up last night (after weeks of stagnation) so I'm hopeful but my jacknife press and pull-ups have been stuck ever since I started. I'm a guy by the by, my name's the italian version of Andrew. 5'11", 128 lbs if that helps.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    as un-appetizing as it sounds, downing a tablespoon or two of EVOO before bed helps.

i also use a smoothie if i'm lacking in KCals for a day. 1 cup of berries (17 carbs), two scoops or more of protein powder (27g protein minimum), and as much heavy cream as i need to get the KCals i'm looking for. that smoothie can be taken with you to work frozen and allow it to thaw until you need it.

otherwise, keep some beef jerky handy.

not sure what kind of time you have for breakfast (i suppose you could make this any time though), but my breakfast today clocked in at 787 KCal.

3 eggs
    2 Tbl heavy cream
    1 slice of turkey breast in my omelette
    1 cup spinach
    five strips of side pork
    1/4 cup of Kraft mexican four cheese
    2 tbl of the leftover pork grease
    1 tbl heavy cream in my coffee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast