Thread: Confused? How much Protien do I need? page

brianne is offline Junior Member

Confused? How much Protien do I need?

Primal Fuel
    I am a 30 year old female weighing approximately 138 lbs. I workout 4-5 days a week, crossfitting 3 days a week, running 1-2 days a week and sometimes yoga. I am just getting into paleo/primal eating. But I am still confused by how much protien/carbs/fat I need. I've kept track of my food intake on Fitday.com for 5 years, so I don't mind the number crunching. Just trying to figure out what I should be eating in either grams or percentages. Any help? I feel like I am reading conflicting information. I should note that my goal is to lean out. Don't care about my weight so much, would just love to be a bit leaner.

batty is offline Senior Member
    1. protein: if you are athletic and know your BF%, i suggest getting in 1g per lb of lean body mass.
    2. pick the amount of carbohydrate per mark's carbohydrate curve. you might benefit more from staying closer to 100 rather than 50 since you are so active.
    3. the rest of your daily calories will come from fat.
    4. ??
    5. profit!

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Thanks, Batty! So the last time I got my body fat checked it was 18-19%. So below are my calculations.

138-26.22=111.78. So I will aim for about 112 grams of protein and about 100 grams of carbs. So the difference should be made up by fat - got it. But how do I figure out that difference?

Sorry - I am still new to all of this and despite reading The Paleo Diet, I am still a bit confused...

not a problem, ultimately you should not have to count calories, but sometimes it is helpful just to get a handle on how you are supposed to be eating.

total all depends on how much total calories you are shooting for daily. say, for instance, you're doing 1800 calories.

protein and carbs = 4 cals/g

protein: 112 * 4 = 448 cals
    carbs: 100 * 4 = 400 cals

adding those two up = 848 calories. at 1800 calories per day, 1800 - 848 = 952 calories from fat.

fat = 9 calories per g, so: 952/9 = 106 g of fat.

mind you, if you try to hit those EXACT NUMBERS every day, you will go apeshit. usually what will happen, if you are eating properly primal, that when you focus on hitting your protein and carb numbers, the fat will fall into place.

paleo version rundown: get in a good chunk of meaty protein at every meal [anywhere between 4-8 oz], a couple of cups of veggies, and a good fat like avocado or nuts.

hopefully all the math makes sense! let me know if it doesn't!

This is so helpful! And 1800 is exactly the amount of calories I aim for each day. This is definitely a work in progress, but I love nerding out on this kind of stuff and seeing how it affects my body and the way I perform. Thanks so much for your help!

xz123 is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    1. protein: if you are athletic and know your BF%, i suggest getting in 1g per lb of lean body mass.
    2. pick the amount of carbohydrate per mark's carbohydrate curve. you might benefit more from staying closer to 100 rather than 50 since you are so active.
    3. the rest of your daily calories will come from fat.
    4. ??
    5. profit!

Quote Originally Posted by brianne View Post
    This is so helpful! And 1800 is exactly the amount of calories I aim for each day. This is definitely a work in progress, but I love nerding out on this kind of stuff and seeing how it affects my body and the way I perform. Thanks so much for your help!
    anytime! i like treating myself as a human guinea pig as well. fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by xz123 View Post
    i am glad someone picked up on my old meme humor.

C2H5OH is offline Senior Member
    wow, lot's of protein. I would struggle to eat more than 80 grams of it per day
    I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
    Yeah!

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    ... usually what will happen, if you are eating properly primal, that when you focus on hitting your protein and carb numbers, the fat will fall into place.

paleo version rundown: get in a good chunk of meaty protein at every meal [anywhere between 4-8 oz], a couple of cups of veggies, and a good fat like avocado or nuts.
    I had a hard time having the fat 'fall into place'... I really had to work hard to get it up to the level I wanted/needed it to be; still do.

Karen