Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to proceed from here? page

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member

How to proceed from here?

Primal Fuel
    Hey there. Past couple of weeks I've been reading into this primal lifestyle thing and the more I do the more it makes sense. I'm cutting down on the carbs and upping the fat and veg intake. The thing is, I don't think I'm here for the same reason most people are. Sure, the CW diet wasn't working for either of us, but my problem is the opposite to what most people seem to have. Maybe it's not so serious, I don't know, but it's still a problem. Ectomorphism maybe? I don't know if it's my genes or my diet but I've never been able to put on weight, despite the years of following a standard CW diet and life.

In a nutshell I ate lots of grains, protein, dairy and fruit, some veg here and there and a few sugary snack type foods. And I had what most CW'ers complain of.. constant food cravings. Even after a large meal I was stuffing myself with dark chocolate. But, I was still very underweight. Even when I wasn't exercising for three months (following a knee injury) I couldn't gain any, and my diet hadn't changed. I was definitely eating enough. Maybe too much, I don't know.

I can't understand this, but something I should say is that I've never been able to have bowel movements frequently enough, and I think this is part of the problem, or rather a symptom of a deeper problem.. Twice a week would be average. Three times a week would be frequent. And it's rock hard as well. So maybe I wasn't really absorbing all the food I ate? Sorry if that's too much description!

I'd love it if someone could give me their theory on what the hell's going on with my body and explain a paleo solution. (Note, Ive already started on some things but I haven't noticed much change so far. Only been a couple of weeks though, if that).

There's so much information on the biology of weight gain, and how to lose weight, with everyone debating and contributing ideas. Unhealthy-skinny people like myself have next to no information because people will look at us and automatically presume we're healthy.

At 125lbs, 5'10", I feel pretty unhealthy..

p.s. IR = Insulin resistance? What does IF stand for??

Also, I should say I only drink water, lots of it, and get plenty of exercise.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Because paleo eating is what our bodies are designed for, it cures (or at least dramatically improves) nearly all health conditions. The more compliant you are, the better your results will be. Remeber that primal/paleo is not NECESSARILY low carb. You can eat 100% paleo and still be on the higher end of "safe" carbohydrate consumption -- just get them from winter squash, sweet potato, and maybe a little fruit instead of from grains and legumes. As top priorities, though, keep your protein intake on the high side (1+g per pound of bodyweight per day) and healthful fats adequate (at least 50% of intake).

Try a search for "gain weight primal" in the thread title; a lot of people title threads with this question something along the lines of "Can I gain weight on the primal blueprint?"

As far as the digestive issues, I've been reading up on gut flora lately, and have repeatedly come across the idea that constipation or dry, hard stool is an indication of insufficient or disrupted gut flora. Have you tried a probiotic or fermeted foods like saurkraut?
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 12-07-2010 at 07:24 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    following the PB isn't about losing weight; that's a byproduct for most of us, but the bigger issue is overall health. CW foods can cause a whole lot of other maladies besides weight gain, and eating fewer grains, and thereby gluten, lectins and other bad things, you are achieving your own ideal health. this diet can do a lot for helping with diseases and problems of the body, such as arthritis, alzheimers, heart disease, diabetes, etc....all of which you can suffer from while still looking healthy.
    eating primal foods will help your overall health, but you can certainly try to gain weight with these foods. if you eat more calories than you are expending, you will gain weight. you may be genetically predisposed to be pretty skinny and burn calories faster than others, but the math is pretty simple: eat more, weigh more.

you mentioned that you do plenty of exercise. what do you do?

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    This member has used PB for just this purpose to great effect. Even though I'm coming from the other side she is quite an inspiration and the blog is about as brutally honest as anything I've read:

Her MDA Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ghlight=MalPaz

Her blog: http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the replies everyone, lots of food for thought and the links were helpful.
    I hope to use this thread to track my progress and ask a few questions as I get into the swing of things.

Right now I'm feeling pretty dizzy, but I've heard that's fairly normal at the beginning. Yesterday was my first completely paleo day (except a bowl of oatmeal (with sugar, apricots and cinnamon) in the morning - I might phase that out as my body adapts to low carbs), and I've had a similar day today.

Chicken thigh with sauteed carrots, broccoli, mushroom and cherry tomato
    Haddock with peas, sweetcorn and a small onion
    King prawn salad
    Veggie frittata
    Egg salad

These are some of the meals I've had over the past few days, with fruit and nuts as snacks in between. I've switched to coconut oil as well for frying.

Should I be getting much more protein now, now I've cut out the grains and potato's etc?

Also would a baked potato with cheese, tonight, really knock me back as I try to adapt my body to paleo?

Primalrob, I'm going for 3-4 mile hikes every few days, doing a resistance band workout every four or five days and trying to Move Frequently more often.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Suggest you cut out grains completely right away--this will help you get through any sugar cravings faster.
    Replace carbs with FAT. Coconut oil or something called Coconut Manna works for me as a between meal snack.
    If dairy works for you, it's a great way for some to gain. Eat .7-1 gm of protein per lb of lean body mass per Mark's recommendation.

Also, if you want to gain lean body mass, then do Mark's PB Fitness workout (free download on the main page of the fitness forum.) A resistance band workout is likely not hard enough for you to grow more muscle.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 12-08-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Actually have an old bag of dessicated coconut that's been sitting in the cupboard and I was afraid to eat it because of the SFA, but now I think it'll make a good primal supper

So on Marks advice I'd be getting no less than 70 grams protein/day. I probably had 50 today. Eating primally seems so expensive though. Foods like nuts and prawns are dear, then we've got the carbs and sugars dirt cheap. Seems paradoxical that we're paying more for nature. I can already feel though, it's an honest reflection of their nutritional worth..

As far as the fitness side goes, I'm not concerned with gaining extra muscle, but at the same time I want to make sure I can keep what I've got. I've been doing more in the way of functional strength and flexibility training. Yoga gets me a decent core workout, and I enjoy the meditative side to it as well. I think really, most fitness programs have the same the basic principles, and will bring the same benefits.

pyrolimeade is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe more water filled fruits like berries, grapes, or citrus might alleviate your constipation issue (It seems like everybody has their own unique digestive system, so it may just be you). Removing SOME fat may help too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast