Thread: Garlic Soup (awesome!) page

DeeEm is offline Junior Member

Garlic Soup (awesome!)

Hi everyone. I'm very new here and don't hang out often, but I've been making this one a lot lately (cold season here) and wanted to share it, 'cause it's pretty awesome. I'm not sure just how it is primal, but on the other hand I can't see anything UNprimal about it, so here it goes...

Garlic Soup (Spanish 'Sopa de Ajo'):

This is dead simple, really quick to make, and tastes great (to me anyway).

Chop up or slice 2-3 large-ish garlic gloves (this is more or less for one person, BTW)

Put a small amount of oil in a medium-sized pot and heat it up. When the oil is hot, throw in the garlic and sauteé (sp?) it just a bit. Don't even let it change color; when it's right there throw in a pinch of pimentón (I don't know a proper translation for this, I suppose the closest thing would be paprika?) and stir once or twice.

Pour in about 600 ml of light vegetable stock (I hope this recipe makes sense, I'm not an English speaker), preferably already hot so it doesn't take too long to boil. Stir. When it starts to boil, set a timer for 10 minutes. At this point you can put a lid on the pot, but don't cover it fully or it may make a mess. Stir occasionally until you get to 5 minutes.

Now, here's where the original recipe (at 5 minutes) called for toasty or plain stale bread; I don't expect many of you will be doing that. But it also calls for 1-2 beaten eggs, and that makes it hearty enough, so we can pass on the bread. Make sure you stir for a while right after pouring the egg(s) in. Watch it for the remaining 5 minutes and it's done.

And... that's it! Ten minutes, dead simple, no mess. Taste it when you take it out of the fire in case it needs a pinch of salt - I would advise not adding it prior to this.

The recipe itself admits a lot of variation - I've done it with onions, leeks (great!), etc. Also, I left out spices, but there's a fair bit you can do there, too - I like a pinch of (dried, ground) rosemary or thyme along with the garlic at the beginning). It's a great first course during the winter months, and in fact I have seen it referred to as a 'cold remedy' more than once!

So, ... I hope this hadn't been posted before, and I hope you guys like it. Would love to know what you thought of it! Take care everyone.

PS: I did search the site to make sure I wasn't posting something that was already here, but couldn't find anything. I hope nothing too similar to this has been posted yet.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    This looks very easy, very tasty and perfect for winter. Thanks for posting!
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Thank you! I will definitely give this a go!

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    DeeEm, your instructions are perfectly clear, thanks for sharing!

I've been making garlic soup for a few years now. I used to toast the bread in the garlic-infused oil before putting it into a ramekin and pouring hot chicken stock over, topping with a whole egg, and putting under the broiler to finish. Top with fresh parsley or cilantro at the end, and lots of pepper. This is perfect hangover breakfast, if one is ever afflicted.

DeeEm is offline Junior Member
    I need to make a (hopefully small?) correction: where I said 'stock', I believe I meant 'broth'. I get them mixed up. Sorry about that!

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Oh.

Now it seems hard.

Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Sounds lovely and I shall try that. Pimenton - isn't it smoked paprika?

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    DeeEm: bienvenidos y gracias por la receta

Pimenton is ground cayenne pepper. Paprika or ground cayenne are good for the recipe.

Sometimes I had it prepared just about like the above recipe. Sometimes it was varied a bit.

Two quarts of water in a pot, with 5 or 6 cloves of garlic and a pinch of salt and a small touch of the red pepper. To this was added some butter or olive oil. About a third cup. Sorry, but I don't have exact quantities. Boil that until the garlic is soft. Crush the garlic. Sometimes my mom would roast the garlic and crush it into the pot instead of boiling it. Cooking was always a venture, not a ritual in stone.

In a small fry pan, heat a bit of olive oil then put some thinly sliced garlic in that--one clove---and a small taste of the pepper. When the garlic just starts to change color but not brown take off heat and stir. Then add to the pot of boiled garlic and stir. It should be hot--temperature hot. Then add eggs. Either poach them or stir up like in egg drop soup. Small bits of toast--croutons?--were also added.
    Sometimes it would be served with thinly sliced scallions or mushrooms that had been heated, but not boiled, in the pot when everything was boiling.

This method didn't have broth but it had a richer buttery taste. Also, it isn't exactly the traditional Spanish way.

Sopa de ajo is delicious and healthy. For some it is equivalent to drinking a quart or two of magnesium. If you never tried it make sure you will be close to a bathroom the next day or two.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha