Thread: help -getting someone to stay primal after bad cholesterol #s page

WPD5 is offline Junior Member

help -getting someone to stay primal after bad cholesterol #s

Shop Now
    OK so I introduced my fiance to primal eating about 4 months ago. She doesn't follow as strictly as I do but she has gotten away from grains pretty well but still eats some processed sugars in candies/cookies, but she does eat less of them now. She is very active and fit and was a collegiate swimmer so has always been able to eat pretty much anything without any weight gain due to the amount of calories burned. Prior to her introduction to primal she ate CW "healthy" plus some extra sweets since she was still working out often.

She just had her cholesterol work done and it came back at
    LDL: 202
    HDL: 66
    Trig: 91
    TC: 285

TC was up from 195 last time she hand it done. She is now saying she wants to abandon primal eating all together. Is the 4 months time enough for her to freak out over these numbers and abandon primal eating. I think the jump in numbers is also likely do to an increased stress level in the past few months in dealing with a new job.

How long should someone be eating primally before they can expect to see numbers that will be accurate over time?

Also if anyone has had to deal with a similar situation with a friend/family member and has any ideas how to get them to stick with it for a bit longer please share. Also she is in med school but is taking this year off to do research work, so she is pretty sold on a lot of the CW that she is taught in school.

thanks for any help

Suse is offline Senior Member
    what would be most interesting is to see what her other results were before. If you havent already, read Griffs cholesterol primer thread. Although I cant recall off the top of my head at the moment, but I do think those trigs are quite high??? so would be interesting to know what they were before. TC is not the number that should be looked at.

At the end of the day though, what she decides to eat and put in her own body is up to her.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Suse is right, of course, that in the end it's her choice.

However, it may be worth making sure she understands that increasing fat without sufficiently reducing carbohydrate (resulting in a high-fat, high-carb diet) will indeed increase triglyceride levels. There's not enough info in your post to tell whether that's happening, but it may be worth considering.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

WPD5 is offline Junior Member
    I do not know the counts for HDL/LDL in her previous test only TC. I will have to get that info as I realize that TC is meaningless, however she views it as a bad indicator since her HDL was only 66 and Trig was high this time around. I do think that the high trig might be a result of her reluctance to give up some of the sugar/carbs she is used to eating. I ask what her previous #s for HDL LDL and trig were and post when I know. And I do agree that it is her choice in what she eats and am not trying to force her to stay primal just give it a fair go before deciding and not base the decision off this one result if it is indeed not an accurate representation or a misinterpretation of the info at hand.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Numbers can be screwed around with, which is why sometimes they're not the best "test". The best test is to go based on feeling, ie more energy, managing stress better, happier, ect...

On the other hand, different eating patterns work for different people, and if it was better before primal, maybe it's a sign.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Suse is offline Senior Member
    ok I just had a re-read of Griffs post myself

Ratio's are important, these are the ideals below:
    TC/HDL = 5 or below - she comes in at 4.3
    TG/HDL = 2 or below - hers 1.3
    LDL/HDL = 4 or below - hers 3.06
    She's coming in below all those numbers, so nothing to worry about but perhaps could be better still if she adhered to the plan..

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Erm... How come no one's noticing she is not actually eating primally?

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    I have noticed and so has the OP. So, the answer is her numbers look like that because she is not doing anything significant to change them.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    I noticed too. That's why I replied as I did. Eating "more primal" is usually better that CW...but not if it's not enough more.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Why not print out Griff's Cholesterol Primer and have her calculate her ratios - then look at some of his suggested readings... one's a cardiologist who touts Primal eating to get to good cholesterol ratios.... I "Freaked" when I saw my #s, but took a deep breath re-read Griff's Cholesterol Primer then did the calculations.... I had my test done only 2-3wks into primal eating, and it was non-fasting.....