Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dayna's Primal Journey page

zsadie is offline Senior Member

Dayna's Primal Journey

Primal Fuel
    I love the concept of primal eating. It just absolutely makes sense! Plus I love the idea of natural living and sustainability. I've taken small steps, but starting tonight, I'm taking the full plunge into a better way of life. I had a wonderful start a couple of weeks ago, but then slipped into bad habits again. Only a few meals over the course of 3-4 days in the past week or so has been truly primal. The rest has been all grains and sugary processed junk food.

I started gradually gaining weight when I began a desk job back in 2000. Before that I was physically active in the jobs I held from grocery store clerk to restaurant server and never had any trouble with my weight. I always felt healthy, but given that I was younger I probably didn't notice the true effects that my eating habits inflicted. With starting a desk job I didn't stop the eating habits and when I moved from my parents place (22), fast food became a staple, with the occasional home made meal, but I really wasn't that much of a cook. I just didn't know how back then. In 4 years I went from 130lbs to 155lbs at 5' 2.5". I stayed at that weight for another 2 years, knowing I wanted to lose weight, but didn't really think seriously about it. In 2006 I then met my wonderful boyfriend and moved to the Chicago area, where in 2 years I gained another 20lbs from experiencing Chicago sized grease and proportions. At one point I weight 178, the highest I've ever weighed. I've been hovering around 172-175 over the past 3 years, and never experienced any significant weight loss. After a trip to Co to visit my best friend in April, my activity level went up and when I got home afterwards I found I weighed 166lb, which was a huge deal for me! It wasn't to last though, I gained back up to 175 which is where I'm at right now.

Only in the past couple of years have I learned what I need to do to be truly healthy and I always ask myself why I could never discipline myself to complete a program or make a full on lifestyle change. I always say it's so hard, but I know deep down that if I truly believe that it isn't hard at all, that it will become simple, but even believing that has been a challenge. I haven't been able to find the switch in my mind to tame or lock up the monster in me that I allow to give into addicting processed and fast foods. It is not only physically hurting me, but emotionally it's been killing who I am as it's all I can think about! That is how much I've disappointed myself, and how many times I've broken promises to myself. Mark's Daily Apple has been a true inspiration for me, coupled with my friend who lost 300+ pounds on The Blood Type diet within 1 year. Seeing her lose the weight was the most phenomenal thing I've witnessed (outside of television and the internet). To see it in the flesh is truly remarkable. That said, I have nowhere near that much to lose, in fact 40 pounds seems tinsy in comparison, but it has been no less difficult as if I did weigh 300+ pounds. I need to retrain my brain and nothing has inspired me more than MDA to do so.

Right now it is a more expensive way of life and with the groceries I have bought thus far and I've purchased at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. These purchases make a difference in one's budget especially buying organic meat. But to me it's worth the cost. Heck, I've dumped enough in the fast food industry over the past 10 years! Time to refunnel that spending into primal groceries and see the heath benefits which will save me medical bills to boot!

So here it is, I'm starting again on the wonderous everday effort of going primal. This journal will help me. It all starts tonight, with a bit of chuck roast and a hefty green salad and for desert a small piece of a dark chocolate bar. Yummy!

Summary of stats:
    Weight: 170 (as of November 2010, haven't weighed myself since then)
    Height: 5' 2"
    Waist: 38"
    Hips: 43"
    Bust: 38"
    Belly: 39"
    Last edited by zsadie; 01-18-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Updating stats

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zsadie View Post
    It is a more expensive way of life and with the groceries I have bought I've purchased at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. These purchases make a difference in one's budget especially buying organic meat. But to me it's worth the cost. Heck, I've dumped enough in the fast food industry over the past 10 years! Time to refunnel that spending into primal groceries!
    Welcome back! Your dinner tonight sounds yummy. Chuck roast was one of the first things I cooked when I went Primal, and it was soooo good.

I thought PB eating was way more expensive at first, but I have found that maybe it's really not. For one thing, my appetite is so much smaller now that I don't graze all day long on snacks and sodas, which are cheap, but really add up. Unless we go out to eat at a good restaurant, I hardly ever spend money on food other than at the co-op anymore.

Also, I have spent so much less money on doctor visits and medications since I started (I was a migraine sufferer, and they have disappeared on PB.) While you may not have any health problems now, you probably would have on that diet. Not to pick on your diet in particular, all SADs are pretty unhealthy, and mine was way worse than yours, I bet. But in a few years or at some point in your life you (we, all of us) would have probably developed some really expensive diseases on the SAD. Sooo ... you are spending a bit more now in order to spend a lot less later, maybe you will more than break even monetarily, and for sure you will feel better physically!

So, yeah, way to go! We'll be here to cheer you on

Good point about the potential hospital costs associated with eating the SAD (Standard American Diet??? I assume that's what that stands for) for life. As I experiment more with different recipes and utilize left overs more readily (instead of letting them go to waste); then I'm sure it'll all balance out. I've tried to stick to a $250 grocery bill each month between myself and my significant other it's HARD TO DO! We usually end at $350, especially since my boyfriend will continue to eat his SAD favorites despite sharing my findings and beliefs. He's inherently cynical of everything, and won't eat whole vegetables or fruit (tomato soup, apple juice and orange juice, don't count!). As I become more adept at cooking healthy primal foods (he'll eat the meat and potatoes, pasta, etc, no questions asked!), I'd like to find more creative ways to incorporate veggies without him knowing. It's a psychological thing with him. I only hope to set an example eventually, as I continue to get healthier and have more energy, do more things with more gusto and stamina than he might have. My problem is he'll probably start chalking up his inability to keep up with me to old age! He only just turned 40! We'll see what happens I guess.

I just read Mark’s latest post on “The Psychology of Giving up Junk Food”. Very interesting read and I am among the many that give in to those temptations that plagues my mind everyday. My problem is getting into a routine and lasting long enough on a healthy eating lifestyle to curb bad habits and turn them into good habits. My fast food binges, random foraging for snack foods and simply ignoring why I cared to eat healthy in the first place prevail at most 3-4 times a week. I'd like to get into a routine of cooking and preparing my breakfasts and lunches for the next week on Sunday's, then freeze the food in containers so I can just grab and go throughout the week and then make a good easy meal for dinner or whenever I’m hungry, that my boyfriend and I will both enjoy. Of course I suppose my significant other isn't helping my healthy efforts. We're very much live and let live folks. He buys what he eats, and I buy what I eat and there are some foods we enjoy together. What he eats is typical of a modern teenage boy, but he's 40 years old (pizza, donuts, cookies, Hostess products, processed junk foods, Kraft Mac & Cheese and other pasta dishes, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and ham and cheese sandwiches). He absolutely won't touch veggies or whole fruit. With these processed junk foods in close proximately to me as we live together, it makes it that much harder for me when I'm trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle. When I allow negativity to get the best of me, I find myself not caring and grab for whatever I can or order take-out if nothing appeals. It seems as I’m in a constant start stop mode which is stressful and emotionally draining.

One of the mental exercises I know that will help me is retraining my mind for a more positive outlook. If I’m constantly dwelling on the past then past habits will always take precedence. If I’m focused on the future, I’ll continue to disappoint myself when I haven’t met that vision I have of myself after eating healthier foods consistently for a good length of time. I need to focus on the present moment, what is it my body truly needs when I crave something I know is unhealthy? How do I not wage a war in my head when my resolve is constantly challenged at work, at home and at family gatherings? If I’m craving a cheeseburger I should make a hamburger patty at home, pile some good goat or feta cheese on it and eat it on a bed of leafy greens. I’ve done this before and it’s quite satisfying. Sometimes throwing an apple slice in between with a drizzle of home made dressing over the top is even better! If I’m craving fries, roasting sweet potatoes in the oven is a much healthier choice. If I’m not sure what to eat and think about grabbing a frozen burrito or joining my boyfriend in a Mac & Cheese night then I should just walk away and find something motivating to help me make a better choice, such as a walk, or reading MDA, or talking to a friend, or even grabbing a healthy snack such as carrots or celery dipped in hummus. All these things and more are quite doable. I only need to make practice of them and eventually I won’t even consider the junk food!
    "Achievement begins with belief."

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27309.html

Starting over again today. Every hungry moment I'll remind myself why I'm on this journey to a better healthier life. I will listen to my body's needs and pay close attention to how different foods effect me.

My plan for the next week:

Avoiding all types of grains
    Eat when I'm hungry
    Drink when I'm thirsty
    Get some vitamin D

This morning, I started out the day with a hard boiled egg sprinkled with salt (would have loved freshly ground pepper too, but I forgot to bring it to work), sliced half apple and jasmine green tea. I feel satisfied, although a slight amount of uneasiness in my tummy after eating the apple slices, though it did pass quickly. Makes me wonder if my system rejects carbs in the morning.
    Last edited by zsadie; 12-10-2010 at 06:11 AM.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

A new day, and a new start!

This morning I had:

Scrambled eggs mixed with chunks of feta cheese and sprinkled with sea salt, pepper, and garlic and a side of 4 pieces of bacon and a cup of peppermint tea.

My goal today is to eat as little carbs as possible!

Okay...I cheated and had a small burrito for a snack topped with cheddar cheese, but for dinner I'm having roast chicken and broccoli salad. yummy!
    Last edited by zsadie; 12-11-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Okay, once again I got off track...I wonder how in the world I keep flipping back and forth between eating what I KNOW is healthy for me and what I KNOW is not. It doesn't make sense! I feel so much better when I eat healthy, so what gives? You would think the way I feel would be enough motivation to keep going! I don't understand it. Just keep moving on!

Today, I'm doing excellent! I had a hardboiled egg and sliced tomatoes for breakfast. for lunch I've had left over salmon from the night before with a spinach salad mixed with feta cheese, almonds, pecans, walnuts, cranberries, dried currants, and sliced apples. sounds like a lot I know but it really wasn't! all together it probably added up to be a cup of ingredients. It was absolutely yummy deliciousness! Tonight I'm having hamburger patties and some roasted sweet potatoes.

Feeling a little under the weather today. I've been having some neck and shoulder issues that are preventing me from getting a good night's sleep. If only I would have been able to call in sick to work when it started so I could give myself a good physical therapy session, (hot epson salt bath with lavender oils, cold packs, willow bark tea, and relaxing as much as my body needs), unfortunately, the nature of my work is such that I can't take any time off unless it's a dire emergency. *sigh* Frustrating....can't wait to see the benefits from working towards a much better way of life for me that fulfills me mind/body/soul.

One significant change over the last 6-7 months (even before I knew of the Primal Blueprint); is that I've begun to enjoy my teas completely sugar free, while before I would need a little something to sweeten it. I thought that would never change, but much to my great pleasure I find I enjoy the full bodied flavor of good herbal teas! Green Tea, different herb varieties, Jasmine green tea, fenugreek and more...Yummy stuff!

Today I started out the day with celery sticks coated with unsalted almond butter and little half pea sized dabs of agave syrup on them (yes I know the ugly side of so called "agave nectar" and rarely use it anyway, but after this bottle I won't be using it ever again). for lunch I had salmon with green beans and roasted almonds. I bought this at Brookhaven Market as I forgot to bring my salad dressing for my salad! The salmon was amazing, and the green beans with almonds were marinated in a butter sauce with herbs and spices. Yummy! Love that store! BTW, trying to find a salad dressing in the supermarket that doesn't have any canola oil, soybean product, or other added artificial GMO ingredients is near impossible! i also find that I have a sensitivety to vinegars for some odd reason so trying to find something without that is even harder! Time to make my own!

The New Year approaches and I'm ready for it! 2010 has been a difficult year for me in making promises to myself of adopting a healthier lifestyle and not meeting those promises. It's really set me on a path of further destruction, mind body and spirit. I tripped across the Primal Blueprint in November 2010 and I still haven't adopted the concepts fully and have fallen way off track already too many times. I was already getting thoughts in my head of going Paleo or following the BloodType diet, so coming across the Primal Blueprint seemed like the next step or advancement. I thoroughly believe that PB will work for me because I KEEP COMING BACK TO IT and that I absolutely love the concept! It makes sense and hearing all the wonderful inspirational success stories really motivates me! I've tried many of the recipes in the cookbook, and they have been amazingly delicious! I love the brownies! Very tasty! I love the nut butter bars, but they took me a LONG time to make because my blender had trouble grinding all those nuts!! I managed in the end, but it took me close to 4 hours!!! I know I can't sustain cooking like that for any length of time, so I hope to gather more useful cooking utensils in the coming year to help me speed the process up. I know the more I cook the better and quicker I'll get! Also keeping PB approved snack type foods available wherever I go will be a saving grace for me. Quick grab and go is my life right now and I'm having a hard time overcoming that, even by planning. I want to get to a point where I pretend I'm on a great journey and I have packed a supply of travelling foods to sustain me on my quest. Jerkies, dried fruit, nuts, veggies, etc.

Re-reading many of the posts that really turned me on to the PB lifestyle in the first place and sparked the WOW factor helps me too! I can't tell you how many times I've come to the site and a new blog was posted about precisely the thing I was wondering about. Or I'd just finish a CW meal and hop on the site and read more inspirational stories and reflect back on what I just ate and feeling the regret and then the inspirational fire to get back on track the next day.

2011 is going to be my year of successes! I WILL live a healthier lifestyle and see and feel those results! I WILL move back to Colorado! I WILL meet my career plans!!!

This week is starting out well! As of yesterday I've officially started on the path to better health and lifestyle. I'm starting with food and I'll work my way up to incorporating more exercising. I feel unbelieveably motivated right now and I hope to sustain it! I'm very proud of myself in that I resisted the tempations of left over pastries from Einston Bros that appeared in the kitchen at work today. Oh, they looked tasty, especially the cranberry cheese muffins....my absolute favorite!!! I ignored them, and reminded myself of what the ingredients within would do to my body and I then pretended they weren't there. I succeeded! Yaay for me! I've been tracking my meals on SparkPeople.com and found my carb intake for Monday was a little higher than my goal for that day. I was aiming for 80, but gave into to tempation just after dinner. I had TWO, a very yummy two I might add, Klondike Dark Chocolate bars! Oy! That little slip up added an additional 58 grams of carbs. Sheesh! What was I thinking! Well, actually, I justified eating them, just to be rid of them never to buy them again! I was really really good the rest of the day though!

YESTERDAY::-)
    Breakfast:
    greek yogurt
    raspberries
    blueberries
    coconut flakes (unsweetened)
    Almonds
    maple syrup

Lunch:
    Albacore tuna salad (onion, celery, salt, garlic powder, organic mayo)
    baby greens
    drizzle of olive oil
    walnuts
    feta cheese

Dinner:
    Ribeye steak (4 ounces)
    broccoli
    mashed parsnips

:-(
    2 Dark chocolate Klondike bars

:-)
    TODAY

Breakfast:
    Bowl of raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, banana slices, 1 tbs of maple syrup, shredded coconut (unsweetened), walnuts, and coconut milk (extremely yummy!)

Lunch:
    Same as yesterday, but without the olive oil, feta cheese and nuts. and I added the left over broccoli from last night.

Dinner:
    Planning on cooking up some patties for dinner. We bought a few at Whole Foods this past weekend. I wanted to try their bison burger and my boyfriend got two cheddar hamburger patties (he'll have his with buns, extra slices of cheese, and mayo, ketchup and mustard). With my bison burger, I plan on having it over spinach and leafy greens, and on top a slice of apple, feta cheese, almond slivers and some kind of home made dressing, (not sure what yet...have to see what I have).

For desert (if necessary), I'll have a few pieces of my 73% dark chocolate bar
    Last edited by zsadie; 01-04-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added formatting

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast