Thread: How long does it take to retrain your body to burn fat first? page

sford75 is offline Junior Member

How long does it take to retrain your body to burn fat first?

Shop Now
    I started eating primally almost 2 weeks ago. I have to admit that it's been fairly easy for me, because I have Celiac Disease and already ahead of the game. I have since eliminated quinoa and rice and increased my fat intake (something I'm finding to be challenging). My question is, how long does it take for your body to relearn to burn fat first as fuel and not carbs? I've switched my workout to Crossfit and am monitoring my calories and have seen no difference in fat loss. I have gained 2.5 pounds, but according to my bodyfat scale, it is lean muscle mass. That is good, but I'm not losing any fat.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    It's not a matter of training your body to burn fat FIRST. Because excess blood glucose is toxic, and carb consumption results in increased blood glucose, your body is obliged to either burn or store carbs as they come in. In brief, carbs will pretty much always be used preferentially.

What you're trying to do is limit carb intake so there isn't extra blood glucose to store, plus train your body to access fat efficiently so you don't have energy dips when the blood glucose from carb intake runs low. Eating low-carb forces your body to run on SOMETHING other than sugar, which is where burning bodyfat comes in. Most bodies will figure out how to do that within a week or two. Some people, including me, take a lot longer (think 6-8 weeks) to transition.

2 weeks is nothin.' A lot of people lose *weight* that quickly when they go primal, but most of it is water weight (because carbs make you retain water) rather than fat. If you weren't retaining water for whatever reason, you wouldn't see that dramatic drop. Give yourself some time!
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 12-06-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    It's not a matter of training your body to burn fat FIRST. Because excess blood glucose is toxic, and carb consumption results in increased blood glucose, your body is obliged to either burn or store carbs as they come in.

What you're trying to do is limit carb intake so there isn't extra blood glucose to store, plus train your body to to access fat efficiently so you don't have energy dips when the blood glucose carb intake runs out. Eating low-carb forces your body to run on SOMETHING other than sugar, which is where burning bodyfat comes in. Most bodies will figure out how to do that within a week or two. Some people, including me, take a lot longer (think 6-8 weeks) to transition.
    I really appreciate this clear explanation--thanks!!