Thread: London Primals: Where do you get your grass fed beef... page

OG Bobby Johnson is offline Junior Member

London Primals: Where do you get your grass fed beef...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello,

I just moved to London and I want to know where to get my grass fed beef, I'm near Paddington. So far, I've only gone to Whole Foods, Kensington, I assumed that would be a sure bet. But, it's seems like no one there gives me the same answer. I ask what is grass fed/grass finished, one person says everythig is, another person says only the organic, another says that everything is grass fed but grain finished. Ugh! What does organic beef in the UK mean, are they fed organic grains or organic grass?

Also, is it possible to get grass fed beef lard?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by OG Bobby Johnson; 12-06-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Flexi is offline Member
    I am sure there is more than one organic butcher in London I get my meat from a butcher in SE London (www.williamrosebutchers.com).

I am just starting to eat meat again - sorry, got no idea about grass-fed v organic. Ask the butcher!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Ask the butchers. Most will know and will tell you.

I find it almost impossible to get organic beef lard, but my local butcher (Sussex) has organic grass fed beef, pork and lamb. When I need some, he gives me bags of either beef or pork fat which I render into lard myself. It is really easy - chop very fine (or mince), place in slow cooker with about a mug of water, switch on and leave for about 12 hours. One good lot of lard lasts me months - then I do some more!

Can you get to Smithfield Market? I'm sure some of the butchers there will be doing organic grass fed beasts.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    There's a farmer's market in Notting Hill Gate, not far from the Wholefoods you shop at. It is right by the station behind Waterstone's and is open each Saturday from 9am to 1pm. I go there and love it!!! Grass fed organic unpasteurised dairy, grass fed organic meat, organic veg, free range organic eggs and really great value for money. Better quality and price than Wholefoods IMO.

Check out http://www.lfm.org.uk/ for other farmer's markets in London
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

OG Bobby Johnson is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies, Ill check out the markets. I spoke to the meat manager at Whole Foods. The organic beef is grass fed/finished, its from Cornwall farms. The regular beef is also grass fed, but its grain finished.

Texan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Bobby Johnson View Post

I ask what is grass fed/grass finished, one person says everythig is, another person says only the organic, another says that everything is grass fed but grain finished.
    Hi OG,

The only way to know for sure about any animal is to ask specific questions. A grassfed and grass finished animal should never have eaten any grain at any time. Organic cattle can be either grass finished or grain finished simply using organic pasture or organic grain. Most grain finished animals have had at least some of their lives on pasture but that is not a guarantee. Again, you have to ask the questions to get the answers you need and grassfed and finished is what you want and what has the most health benefits. I hope that helps. By the way, this is true regardless of country and I have heard of grain fed animals being purchased and put on pasture for a few weeks and sold as grass finished, so ask specific questions and if possible, buy direct from the farmer/rancher.