Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol Question for Grizz page

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member

Cholesterol Question for Grizz

Primal Fuel
    Ok.. Grizz...just got my labs back and ran my #s using your equations in your Cholesterol Primer thread (BTW GREAT THREAD - shared it w/my mom)
    Wanted to get your take... and any one else's for that matter.

Here's what the lab reported (Non-fasting btw):
    Cholesterol: 270
    Trig 40.0 mg/dl
    HDL - 57 mg/dl (serum)
    dLDL -C 191.0 mg/dl

So I ran calculations using excel for both the Iranian Equation and the Friedewald formula

Iranian Equation for LDL:
    (270/1.19) +(40/1.19) -(57/1.10) - 38 = 158.12

Ratios using the Iranian Eqn
    270/57 = 4.74 (could stand improvement - but under 5 so ok)
    40/57 = .70 (Thumbs UP!)
    158/57 = 2.77 (Thumbs UP!)

Friedewald formula for LDL
    270 - (57 + (40/5))= 205

Ratios using the Friedewald eqn
    270/57= 4.47
    40/57 = .70
    205/57 = 3.60
    Still doing good on the ratios.... : )

What I don't understand is where the lab got the dLDL of 191. These labs were performed at the VA Medical Center (They do them in house and don't send the out to quest/labcorp)

I understand from your "Cholesterol Primer thread" that the Ratios are what's important - however I've been asked by my doctor to Lower the over all cholesterol - Using CW, which of course I'll avoid! so - in addition to lowering the over all cholesterol I would also need to lower my LDL. In addition to Lowering the LDL, do I need to raise my Trigs and HDL As well? I'm asking this b/c
    my VA Dr is "Threatening Stains" - I don't go in to see her for another 6mths - I plan on discussing how my ratios look as an indicator vs taking those crappy stains (I have such a problem with most drugs I won't take them) and I going to continue w/ the Primal WOL...

thanks!

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Not Griz: exercise and MODERATE alcohol intake will raise the HDL. Why do you want to raise your triglycerides? I see no point.

Up your carbs If you really do want to raise your triglycerides.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Shijin13,

I feel honored for your question, however I am not a cholesterol expert. Cillikat would know much more about your test numbers than I would. I suggest reading Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis for a better understanding of your test results. He is my BIBLE authority on all matters of health & nutrition.
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search?q=cholesterol

PS) DO NOT TAKE STATIN DRUGS, as you will see by reading Dr. Davis ! Also Dr. Davis is far more worried about small cell LDL than he is level of cholesterol. Also make sure your are taking 5,000 to 10,000 IU of Vitamin D daily and follow the Primal Diet, and your cholesterol will take care of itself, per Dr. Davis.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-06-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks for everyone's answers ... I was wondering if I needed to do anything with the Trigs - guess I don't need to worry about them... I'm occasionally having a small glass of red or white wine a1-2x/week w/dinner... I'm also focusing on continuing my transition to Primal eating, working out (walks w/ the kids in the evenings, body weight exercises and lifiting) Hoping to see a big improvement w/in the next year - not asking for miracle weightloss ect...

Grizz I'll check out Dr. Davis's stuff -- I'm taking 10000 IU Vit D3/day Thanks so much!

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's answers ... I was wondering if I needed to do anything with the Trigs - guess I don't need to worry about them... I'm occasionally having a small glass of red or white wine a1-2x/week w/dinner... I'm also focusing on continuing my transition to Primal eating, working out (walks w/ the kids in the evenings, body weight exercises and lifiting) Hoping to see a big improvement w/in the next year - not asking for miracle weightloss ect...

Grizz I'll check out Dr. Davis's stuff -- I'm taking 10000 IU Vit D3/day Thanks so much!
    Shijin,
    You will find THE MOST IMPORTANT topics promoted by Dr. Davis is to give up all grains, sugars & hydrogenated oils. This of course is the essence of the Paleo Diet. Do another search on the Dr. Davis web site for WHEAT.

Grizz

Will do - I've been Wheat/Gluten free for 5+ years... so its the other grains I'm giving up...though occasionally I'll have some rice - about 1x every 2-3wks... everything else is primal... though I'm still working on decreasing my coffee flavoring - I'll get there, slowly but surely!

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Hey Shijin13:

Just got my results in today and fairly similar to yours:

Total: 255
    HDL: 93
    Trig: 71
    LDL (friedenwald): 148
    LDL (Iranian): 129

Ratios:
    total/hdl: 2.7
    trigs/hdl: 0.8
    ldl/hdl: 1.4 - 1.6

From Griff's discussion on ratios, I should feel very good about the situation, I think. Of course, my doctor gave me the same talk that yours gave you: Need to get LDL levels down, eat whole grains, no eggs, dairy, red meat, pork, etc.

That nagging CW molecule in the brain resurfaces, etc. Next time around, I plan to get a VAP test to directly measure the different components of LDL. Griff's excellent post suggests that the Total/HDL ratio is a good predictor of large v. small LDL particples. If that is the case, then I have no worries. A direct measure of the different particple sizes in the LDL portion would make me feel a lot better, however.

Absolutely nothing else suggests a heart disease risk (ie, fine weight, good fitness, little family history, non-smoker) (Well, except for trying to do the right thing according to conventional dietary wisdom for most of my 52 year life span.)

One Delta Ten Tango

peril is offline Senior Member
    Your LDL has been measured. That's why it doesn't fit either Friedewald or Iranian, which are only approximations.

Goods news - HDL and Trigs. While you should always be looking to improve LDL, your trigs are excellent. Only caveat is that you said this was a non-fasting measurement. That usually means your trigs will be higher than when fasting. Just how low are your trigs when fasting?

Forget about the ratios which apply to fasting measurements. While your profile looks pretty good, you really need to have it measured while fasting before taking any intervention
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Griff is offline Senior Member
    The cholesterol thread is actually mine, not Grizz's. Just sayin'.

The LDL is almost certainly calculated. Do NOT try to raise your trigs - they are bad for you! High HDL = good. Moderate LDL = good. LOW trigs = good. Tell your doctor to stuff the statins where the sun don't shine. Your ratios are excellent.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast