Vitamin D article---check the RDA

Shop Now
    Just read this and thought it might be worth passing on

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller25.html
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

aktres is offline Senior Member
    For a person who already has MS, would D3 supplementation help?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aktres View Post
    I imagine it would. I've read anecdotal stories of MS summer seasonal "remission", which leads me to believe that D3 may be what is causing the improvement. Higher blood levels may be necessary to get benefits when you already have MS--read more on the Vitamin D council website.

Here's a letter I found in a 2009 newsletter (with a search for "Muliple Sclerosis" on the site:

Vitamin D and Multiple Sclerosis

Dr. Cannell: I have been a subscriber since the early days, six years ago, and have been following your work with great admiration. I am a medical malpractice attorney in Seattle, Washington diagnosed with multiple sclerosis three years ago. I was told there was no effective treatment. I read hundreds of articles and studies. I read last week where an MS gene has been isolated that is regulated by vitamin D.

I have stopped the progression of my MS by getting my 25(OH)D level to approximately 80 ng/mL (200 nmol/L) and keeping it there for a little over 2 years now. I just had another gadolinium MRI (18 months after the fist "clean" MRI) and I still have no active MS lesions. I have maintained my 25(OH)D level >80 ng/mL throughout, and have obtained serial 25(OH)D levels and blood calcium testing, and have had no increase in blood calcium or other side effects.

The research I have attached strongly suggests that vitamin D may stop the progression of MS, and I have 3 gadolinium MRIs that show that it does work. There are hundreds of thousands of individuals in just the U.S. that will benefit from this therapy, and research shows that there are no side effects to this therapy. There is good science behind this—can you help me get the word out? Kate, Seattle

Dr. Cannell replies:
    Yes a number of epidemiological studies suggest vitamin D has a treatment effect in MS, such as fewer exacerbations in the summer, not just a preventative effect. However, we now have more direct evidence that vitamin D helps treat MS. In an open study of 12 patients by Kimball, et al, the number of lesions per patient (assessed with a nuclear magnetic brain scan) decreased in the treatment group from the initial mean of 1.75 to the end-of-study mean of 0.83. Kimball SM, Ursell MR, O'Connor P, Vieth R. Safety of vitamin D3 in adults with multiple sclerosis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Sep;86(3):645–51.

The question is what do you do if you have MS, while we are waiting for more studies? If you have MS, do you wait and see if your MS is going to progress? Does your doctor? In my opinion, it is unethical for doctors to ignore vitamin D deficiency in serious diseases, such as MS, and most doctors do. MS patients should take the initiative themselves, getting their 25(OH)D into the high range of normal (70–90 ng/mL) while we are waiting for more science. This may require up to 10,000 IU/day in some people, an indoor UV light, or a sun tan parlor.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 12-05-2010 at 10:18 PM.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Excellent article. I'm currently taking 2,200 IU vit D3 daily - I shall start taking 1 one day, 2 the next, 1 the next etc. And wait for summer. I hadn't realised that UVB isn't there at all in the winter - I imagined there was just less of it.

Roll on summer!

Grizz is offline Banned
    @ Periquin,
    many thanks for that GREAT article on Vitamin D. It answers a LOT of questions. I am forwarding that article to everyone on my email list.

@ aktres,
    YES ! ! The most well known person with Multiple Sclerosis that was mostly cured by Vit D is Montel Williams. He still has MS, but you would never know by looking at him. He is always promoting Vitamin D to anyone and everyone who will listen.

@ Breadsauce,
    You are not taking nearly enough Vitamin D. Most normal adults require a minimum of 5,000 IU daily to 10,000 IU daily per Cardiologist Dr. Davis AND the Vitamin D Council. Take this amount for 3 months, then get your blood tested. Adjust your Vitamin D to achieve a blood level of 60 to 70 ng/ml. Overdose does not occur until > 40,000 IU Daily. The wife & I take 10,000 IU daily of D3 gelcaps.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-06-2010 at 04:57 AM.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone! Great information.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Thanks everyone! Great information.
    The wife just reminded me that when we lived in Florida for 4 years, we did not suffer the cold or flu, also my asthma was gone. That is because we were always laying around the pool, soaking up sunshine.

Grizz