Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sublingual B12 page

Hedonist is offline Senior Member

Sublingual B12

Primal Fuel
    I haven't found a "definitive" B12 post. I have repeatedly heard (e.g. from Dr. Mercola) that anything besides sublingual B12 is useless. What is you folks' take on this? What do you take?
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Animals.

(Sorry, a bit abrupt... but why would you want supplemental B12 unless you're a vegan? I seem to be missing something here.)
    Last edited by Hilary; 12-06-2010 at 04:12 AM. Reason: being less rude

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Sorry, a bit abrupt... but why would you want supplemental B12 unless you're a vegan?
    Oh I dunno... maybe because over a third of the population, including young people, are in the low-normal range or below it for B12? And that's using the standard U.S. reference range which is thought by many to be way too low. The actual prevalence of B12 deficiency is thought to be much higher than reported. I was diagnosed deficient while eating a diet very heavy in 'animals' and correcting that deficiency has made a huge impact on my well-being.

Hedonist, I took 1000 mcg sublingual cyanocobalamin and it brought my B12 levels from 218 (not good) to over 1000 (very good) in just a few months. Now I take 500 mcg a day for maintenance. There is no known toxicity level for B12 so that is not a worry. I have read several studies that suggest oral B12 is just as effective as sublingual if taken in high doses because your body absorbs a small percentage of it regardless, however most folks opt for the sublingual for maximum absorption.

I'm frankly surprised that B12 isn't given the same consideration as Vitamin D on this board, given the prevalance of deficiency and the tremendous health repurcussions associated with it. Personally I get my B12 blood levels checked every year along with my Vitamin D.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2000/000802.htm

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    Some people used to think B12 helped prevent hangovers?

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JEL62 View Post
    Oh I dunno... maybe because over a third of the population, including young people, are in the low-normal range or below it for B12? And that's using the standard U.S. reference range which is thought by many to be way too low. The actual prevalence of B12 deficiency is thought to be much higher than reported. I was diagnosed deficient while eating a diet very heavy in 'animals' and correcting that deficiency has made a huge impact on my well-being.
    Glad I asked! Thanks for the correction. And huh, weird. Any idea how deficiency can arise despite a good diet?

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    My two cents on B12:

Here's a highly-rated book (which I haven't read yet myself, but has many good reviews on Amazon):

Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses
    http://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-E...1652074&sr=1-1

Here's the Linus Pauling Micronutrient Information Center's page with many details about B12:
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...ns/vitaminB12/

Having read that the methyl- form of B12 is by far the most effective (much more than the cyano- form), this is the form I've been using for the last few months:

Jarrow, Methyl B12 (check out the user reviews in each link):

5000 mcg
    http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas...enges/117?at=0

1000 mcg
    http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas...enges/129?at=0
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 12-06-2010 at 08:22 AM.

healthymama is offline Member
    I was diagnosed deficient while eating a diet very heavy in 'animals' and correcting that deficiency has made a huge impact on my well-being.
    [/url]
    JEL62 -- Me too!!! I was convinced I had a thyroid disfunction, had tests and found out thyroid was normal, but I had very, very low normal vitamin B-12. I have been supplementing with the sublingual tablets for about a month now, and am seeing improvement in my moods, energy and even weight loss.

HealthseekerKate: Great job recommending _Could it be B-12?_. I have read that book, and it is incredibly comprehensive and useful for someone with a B-12 deficiency or a low-normal like me. Very informative. From what I have read, it is better to seek out the methylcobalamine rather than the cyanocobalamine. That's what I've been using and what seems to be most highly recommended for oral supplementation.

I am happy to see this thread and I hope more people who know about B-12 will contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Animals.

(Sorry, a bit abrupt... but why would you want supplemental B12 unless you're a vegan? I seem to be missing something here.)
    No problem Hilary. I have two factors that might indicate extra B12. I am old. I take Metformin (which I do hope to get off of soon.)

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

healthymama is offline Member
    Just need to add one more thing: From my readings, I've learned that some people are genetically susceptible to B-12 deficiency because of metabolic problems involving intrinsic factor, a glycoprotien produced by the stomach. An impaired gene can lead to problems with intrinsic factor and thus, a hard time absorbing B-12 and the development of medical problems associated with low levels. Looking back at my family medical history, I can't help but wonder if that might be an issue, so I intend to have my children and myself tested via serum b-12 and urinary MMA. It's definitely not just a problem for vegetarians and vegans.

Oh I dunno... maybe because over a third of the population, including young people, are in the low-normal range or below it for B12? And that's using the standard U.S. reference range which is thought by many to be way too low. The actual prevalence of B12 deficiency is thought to be much higher than reported. I was diagnosed deficient while eating a diet very heavy in 'animals' and correcting that deficiency has made a huge impact on my well-being....

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2000/000802.htm
    "Oddly, the researchers [mentioned in Jel's link] found no association between plasma B12 levels and meat, poultry, and fish intake, even though these foods supply the bulk of B12 in the diet. “It’s not because people aren’t eating enough meat,” Tucker said. “The vitamin isn’t getting absorbed.”

In the elderly, it’s probably because they don’t secrete enough stomach acid to separate the vitamin from the meat proteins that tightly bind it. But Tucker can only speculate about the reasons for poor absorption of the vitamin from meat among younger adults or why B12 appears to be better absorbed from dairy products than from meats."

Hmmm. Could it be because of the grains the agency (USDA) pushes? Just asking.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 12-06-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    Ancestral Health Info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast