Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get used to the idea of eating more fat and pork page

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member

Trying to get used to the idea of eating more fat and pork

I am loving the primal lifestyle so far after two weeks. I am gaining energy and feel more healthy. Previously I did Fat Flush by Ann Louise Gittleman. I feel like I learned a lot from her, but I couldn't deal with the anal structure of her original plan and the OCD nature of it. I was quite successful for awhile, however. Anyway, I'm finding some cognitive dissonance with fat being allowed so much more freely. On FF, it was very restricted. I suppose I would like to hear others experiences going from a lower fat plan and how you made the mental adjustment. I'm sure I will adapt in time. I just sauteed some spinach in bacon grease

Also, I was used to avoiding pork. Gittleman is very concerned with parasites and I had almost sworn off of pork totally. I never see any concern regarding parasites on here and lots of talk of rare meat (which I love, both sushi and rare steak).

Any thoughts on the above would be welcome.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    My only advice is to take it slow on a lot of fat at one meal--especially if you have been restricting fat until recently. My gallbladder complains if I eat too much-ouch! I get ~50% of my calories from fat--yum!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I had a "f- it" attitude towards adding or not subtracting fat from meals. At first I was like "this goes against everything I know... but wait I just realized I know nothing at all" and I jumped in, I didn't go too crazy right away, started eating more bacon, bought some coconut oil, etc. Take it slow if you need to. Eat avocados in salads, cook in bacon grease or coconut oil, etc. It's fun. Be wary of carbs not of fat.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I don't know who Gittleman is but 1) your body uses fat for all kinds of things, if you don't any at all eventually you'll die and 2) intestinal parasite from pork? That's really really rare. We are all *supposedly* buying our meats from local organic pasture-rich farms, where puppies never grow old and rainbows sprout from cow's asses everyday, so there can't be any parasites in our food!!!

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Actually factory farming is what has wiped out trichinosis in pigs... as much as I hate to admit it. Most of those pigs never touch dirt with their feet in their entire lives so they don't get the trichina worms passed on.

Trichinosis really is a thing of the past... I don't eat rare pork but I do it it slightly pink though.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    tfarny--haha. I do eat a lot of avocados which I do well with. I also am still on whole fat yogurt for smoothies and some cheese. I also eat nuts daily. I am slowly getting used to the idea that I can panfry again in animal fat. I haven't gone "hog-wild". I don't really know how much fat is optimal so I'm still being cautious.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    In circles where undercooked/raw consumption of game animals increases you also find an increased rate of parasite infections. Some animals you're just probably going to want to be sure to cook to 145F. All proteins denature eventually with enough temperature and time, parasites are no different. While I wouldn't think of eating a tenderloin that isn't nice and red on the inside you can take some simple steps to avoid parasites. At 145F all of the parasites will be dead, this is an instant sort of thing and cooked meat normally rises at least 3-5F for the few minutes following removing it from the oven/pan as part of the resting process. This means you can actually get away with cooking the item to 140F and just letting it sit for 5-10 minutes (which if you're a serious cook you'd always do anyways) before cutting into it. If you're looking at roasted ribs or something else that you know you're going to be cooking for a very long time (shoulder roast) then you can get away with much much lower temperatures even as low as 125F (internal temp) for 3 hours.

Enjoy the pig, savor the pig!

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jspradley View Post
    Actually factory farming is what has wiped out trichinosis in pigs... as much as I hate to admit it. Most of those pigs never touch dirt with their feet in their entire lives so they don't get the trichina worms passed on.

Trichinosis really is a thing of the past... I don't eat rare pork but I do it it slightly pink though.
    So this would mean wild pigs (which I hope to be trapping soon) could be a source of Trichinosis?

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcult View Post
    So this would mean wild pigs (which I hope to be trapping soon) could be a source of Trichinosis?
    Yep.

Cook dat shit yo!

I LOVE me some wild game but it's vital that you cook it properly to kill any parasites. No rare deer, wild pig, or moose for me! lol

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by shat View Post
    I don't really know how much fat is optimal so I'm still being cautious.
    70-80% of your calories coming from fat, and almost all the rest from protein, is optimal.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast