Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast help please page

Barney Rubble Guest

What do you folks eat for breakfast? I am starting to grow weary of the 100 ways to enjoy eggs. Some alternates I have been using are :

apple with almond butter

collard greens and bacon

ham and cheese roll up

Is cottage cheese ok... dont want to load up on the dairy??

skip the meal all together... Grok goes hungry today

any help is appreciated...

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I almost always have a huge spinach salad (4-6 cups of greens) with mixed raw veggies (broccoli, carrot, jicama, cauliflower, sprouts, whatever I have on hand), some fats (avocado, olives, salmon, hard boiled eggs), and homemade dressing. Very healthful and filling, lots of opportunity for variety, and a great way to get odd looks from coworkers.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I ate dinner leftovers for breakfast today, beef and cabbage stew. I usually eat at home, but wasn't hungry until I got to work today, so that one got a couple of funny looks I like dinner leftovers a lot actually, especially if it's a piece of steak or a pork chop. No eggs necessary! Though I do love eggs and bacon...

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

maba is offline Senior Member

Check out the coconut pancake recipes in the forum.

JamieBelle is offline Member

I know whey powder is just "ok", but honestly I don't have a lot of time in the morning for cooking and cleanup. I tend to make a whey shake using fruit, water, one scoop of whey protein, and sometimes I'll throw in a handful of almonds if I'm feeling really frisky. I can drink it while I get ready for work, and it keeps the morning from being overly hectic. Full time job and full time mom, here.

grandma is offline Member

Hard Boiled eggs this morning -- grab and go.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

ahhgrr is offline Junior Member

I fast for breakfast. Easier that way what with lunch prep and getting kids ready to go, etc.

erstad17 is offline Junior Member

Pancakes are always great and like others posted, leftovers, salads, greek yogurt with berries are always good. I'm eating almond pancakes with bacon as I'm writing this.

Mick Guest

[quote]

Is cottage cheese ok... </blockquote>

It&#39;s perhaps lower in fat than you might prefer - 1% fat or so, I think.
    [quote]

any help is appreciated...</blockquote>

Seafood?

Smoked fish used to be quite commonly eaten at breakfast in Scotland (England, as well) - kippers, bloaters, that sort of thing. Natural undyed smoked haddock or cod is good, too. You can poach it in a little water.

Another cooking method for haddock is to put it in the oven in a buttered dish with a little milk and water mixed, cover it, and cook it for 20 to 30 minutes in a hot oven. It can be served with some of the cooking liquor and a pat of butter. With a poached egg on top that was a traditional supper in some areas.

Potted fish, potted shrimps, and potted meat also used to appear as part of breakfast in some Victorian households - and much later, too. They&#39;d eat herring roes, too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/traditionalpottedshr_11395.shtml

"Potting" food was really a food-preservation method in the days before refrigerators. The layer of clarified butter on top of the food kept the air out.

Maybe some of these seafoods could do with a breakfast-time revival.

There&#39;s also offal, such as kidneys and liver. Kidneys could be "devilled" -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/devilledkidneysontoa_85068.shtml

Then I guess there are cold meats. I think cheese and ham are eaten in the Netherlands for breakfast.

I suppose there&#39;s soup, too. At one time that was traditionally eaten in France by many people for breakfast. Why not? A bowl of hot soup would go down very nicely on a cold day. There seems to be a notion at the WAPF that modern people don&#39;t eat real, stock-based soups, made from slowly simmering bones and carcasses, enough. It&#39;s said that the gelatine in these broths helps one digest protein food better, and that they supply a lot of minerals - particularly ones important for building strong bones.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I seem to never get bored of eggs and bacon. I sometimes have a couple of big bites from a smoked Polish kabasa, a teaspoon of almond butter or a big chunk of aged cheese as well.

If I am expecting a very bussy day, I&#39;ll have like 6 eggs and 6 strips of bacon with some fried ground meat in lots of lard and tomatoes. That will keep me going until late at night with no hunger or energy issues whatsoever throughout the day.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast