Thread: Low metabolism? page

Low metabolism?

Shop Now
    Hey folks! This is conpewter's wife again. I have my own account now! Woo hoo! Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to raise your broken metabolism? If you haven't read the story before, I lost 100 lbs. on the SAD diet and have kept if off for four years now with the exception of some pregnancy poundage. My metabolic rate is currently 1500 per day. I was having trouble with weight loss and inch loss until going primal.
    I started primal about two months ago and was still having trouble until asking for advice. It's been about a month since I've cut out dairy and nut butters. I've hit the weights more at the gym and I'm not as heavy on the cardio. I still have one hard core cardio day per week but otherwise I just walk on the treadmill after the weights. I have lost an inch and a half in my hips and half an inch in my waist in one month! Will this eventually raise the metabolism? Is this even possible or am I broken for life? Thanks!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    You've had some nice success! Congrats on your improvements.

I've been reading about this since I wonder if I have similar issues. I've got a visible thyroid nodule and have occasional hypothyroid symptoms. Sometimes I wonder if my low-cal, low-fat, high cardio weight loss pre-Primal may have damaged me a bit.

I read this article this morning. http://thescreamonline.com/essays/essays5-1/vegoil.html
    I tend to only really use animal fats and coconut oil in my cooking. I used to use olive oil but don't so much anymore. The more I learn about saturated fat, especially from coconut oil, the more I like the stuff. I'm hoping that increased use will help. I have noticed that since using CO, I've been able to keep my body temperature up in the normal range with less effort.

Maybe with extended use of saturated fats, your (and my) metabolism will improve?

Anyone else got thoughts on this?

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Raising muscle mass and lowering bodyfat percentage will raise metabolism. One of the reason CW yo-yo diets fail is that most people lose muscle mass together with weight and then end up with a lower resting metabolic rate. This is also the reason that on primal, you should lift heavy things, ignore the scale and assess progress on strength gains and inches.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Do you do any HIIT workouts? Those did it for me. In a two year period, I raised my maintenance calories from 1400 a day to 2600 a day. (I think I was 46-47 years old at the time.

Type Turbulence Training on youtube for various examples.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Do you do any HIIT workouts? Those did it for me. In a two year period, I raised my maintenance calories from 1400 a day to 2600 a day. (I think I was 46-47 years old at the time.

Type Turbulence Training on youtube for various examples.
    Cool! I watched a couple of those. Now, do you rotate the six selected exercises for 25 min. and then do the cycling or kettlebell, etc. . . the last 20 min.? It looks like it would take the guess work out of exercising. Which is great!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Agree about the CO -- this stuff burns fat/boosts metabolism like crazy and is also healing to your thyroid. Excellent book: "Coconut Cures" by Fife.

Yeah, slow metabolism/thyroid was my excuse for years. But when I can manage to stay away from the dairy, things start happening at a rapid clip, even despite my thyroid and adrenals. Lifting weights, climbing hills, walking a lot = all excellent. When I was doing all three of those together, my body composition was changing so rapidly that it actually scared me and I had to back off because I couldn't handle it. The climbing hills in particular seemed to be the real catalyst.

You're definitely on the right track!! So happy you're staying off the scale and going by pants/inches instead. You're doing all the right things!~

Please keep us posted of your progress.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by trebleclef01 View Post
    Cool! I watched a couple of those. Now, do you rotate the six selected exercises for 25 min. and then do the cycling or kettlebell, etc. . . the last 20 min.? It looks like it would take the guess work out of exercising. Which is great!
    I would do workouts like that maybe 3 days a week, and that's all I would do. Then I lifted weights twice a weight, then on another day I would do all sorts of random stuff like biking, long walks, gardening, etc.

My workouts nowadays tend to be longer, simply because I really enjoy being at the gym and trying new stuff. Yesterday I played a couple of basketball games, followed by going to the gym and doing random stuff with gym buddies.

But I do consider it essential to be by myself and focus on busting my butt for a minimum of 20 minutes a few times a week. Doing the stuff like burpees, push-ups, etc. is way more effective for revving the metabolism than running on a treadmill for 20 minutes.

Hello folks! Thanks for the HIIT workout suggestion. My arm muscles have certainly gotten bigger since starting these work outs. Other areas are feeling tighter as well. My husband jokes that he'll have to start working out soon, too so I don't get stronger than him. . . ha! I'm doing a rotation that usually consists of squats, push-ups, squats with feet turned out, arm weight curls, jumping jacks or running in place, and mountain climbers. After about 15 minutes my arms feel like jelly. Whew! Anyways, thanks again!

Have you noticed any difference in your metabolism? Do you know if you're eating more calories in a day?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Have you noticed any difference in your metabolism? Do you know if you're eating more calories in a day?
    I seem to get hungry more often now. This is good, right? I'm also starting to stay a little warmer (and it gets cold here). I've been cold ever since I've shed my 100 lb. coat! It's still hard to eat more sometimes, but I'm sure I'll get over that. I'm trying to listen to my body more now. I was so sad when I realized that I had taught myself to ignore hunger pangs when I was on a low calorie diet. (I got busy with Christmas stuff earlier this week and noticed I hadn't eaten all day).