Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greek Full Fat VS No Fat Yoghurt page

shoreline is offline Member

Greek Full Fat VS No Fat Yoghurt

Primal Fuel
    Bought some Full fat and No Fat greek yoghurt the other day
    Full Fat only as 11g of Protein while the Non Fat has 20 g!!!!
    The full fat tastes way better in my opinion but is the most heavily laden saturated fat product I have ever eaten. From reading my understanding of optimal health is to balance your fats. too much one one type of fat causes inflammation. In the Paleo world how does one balance their fat intake if eating only full fat products. For example if on Monday you have greek yoghurt, a steak, veggies in coconut oil, that's a heck of alot of saturated fat. Then what happens if you have a slip up day or two where you eat refined carbohydrates, what then happens with all this saturated fat in your body.Unless one is disciplined with Paleo eating are we putting ourselves at risk for disease if we have slip up days while still eating alot of fat?

peril is offline Senior Member
    You really need to read the book

There is nothing in PB about balancing fats per se. The one exception is that one should make sure one balances one's omega-3 fat intake against one's omega-6 intake, while MINIMISING the latter.

There is no evidence that saturated fats are bad for you
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If you stick to natural, unprocessed food, then your fats will already be balanced. While the monounsaturated fat content of a food can vary widely depending on whether it's from an animal (grass-fed versus factory farmed further changes the ratio) or a vegetable, the food that we consumed as hunter gatherers was always heavy in saturated fat and light in polyunsaturated fat. There is nothing bad about saturated fat. It's essential.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    btw, the non-fat greek-style yogurt is higher in protein because it has dry milk added. they legally do not need to put dry milk powder in the ingredients list.

shoreline is offline Member
    I didn't know about the dry milk added to the non fat greek yoghurt. The balancing of fats is addressed with keeping the Omega 6 lower. I was thinking about saturated fat being a bad thing if you sometimes slip in following strict paleo food intake as this would cause a potential fat imbalance. Another way of looking at it is if one was to consume a high carb diet which would be more unhealthy. High carb only or High carb high saturated fat?

b4ds33d is offline Member
    why do you ask about paleo diet in a PBP forum? there are some similarities, but they are different diets.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed that the three places I usually food shop don't even carry full-fat anymore. I've been wondering if it was a poor seller or a misguided attempt to offer *healthier* choices to an unwitted public. I suspect the latter since it has a fairly long shelf life, for a perishable.

Has this happened where you live/shop?

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
    I didn't know about the dry milk added to the non fat greek yoghurt. The balancing of fats is addressed with keeping the Omega 6 lower. I was thinking about saturated fat being a bad thing if you sometimes slip in following strict paleo food intake as this would cause a potential fat imbalance. Another way of looking at it is if one was to consume a high carb diet which would be more unhealthy. High carb only or High carb high saturated fat?
    Cabot Greek yogurt has added whey protein which boosts protein content and carbs up compared to other brands.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Shoreline: I went through the most recent posts you've started - almost every one of them is anti-fat fearmongering crap like this. Give it a rest, go to the library, and do some homework. You know the books you should be reading.

ritz is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    I've noticed that the three places I usually food shop don't even carry full-fat anymore. I've been wondering if it was a poor seller or a misguided attempt to offer *healthier* choices to an unwitted public. I suspect the latter since it has a fairly long shelf life, for a perishable.

Has this happened where you live/shop?
    I've had a really hard time finding anything but fat-free in the stores also...it's disappointing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast