Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those of you who are VLC (like 20-30gr/day) page

splunky is offline Senior Member

Those of you who are VLC (like 20-30gr/day)

Primal Fuel
    I am seriously contemplating doing this for at least a few months. There are a few things holding me back though. The only time I have restricted carbs to that extent is when I did Atkins, both recently and a few yrs back.
    Those times resulted in immediate weightloss, but long term weight gain due to lack of self control, frankly, mostly due to social setting and missing fruit or variety of veggies.
    The day I increase my carbs even 5-10 grams my weightloss stops and i bein to gain ever so slowly but definately! It's very frustrating, and that point is when i usually give up and eat "normally" (according to dh) again.

How do you handle social settings (ie christmas parties)?

Do you limit the specific foods you eat? Like, no carrots etc? Do you ever include 2-3 strawberries at all, they are real lc. Do you ever allow yourself do go higher carb (not binging, but maybe up to like 50 grams) for an event and go back the next day? What were the results?

I know everyone is different, I am just interested to see what others do, what has worked and what definately has not worked. I really want to get a handle on this but truthfully I am fearful to start losing weight again only to wreck all progress when I go to inlaws fr Christmas!!! Thx.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    When I was VLC, I didn't eat anything veggie that wasn't leafy, and I didn't eat fruit at all. And I should go back to that as my weight loss has slowed up way more than I'd like.

Face it: You may never be able to eat "normally" again, if you are severely insulin resistant. Yes, social settings will always be tough, but you MUST stick to your guns. This is your health and your life that you're talking about. Is that worth risking to make sure someone isn't upset that you won't eat their fruitcake? It's a health issue; you MUST be firm about it - both with the pushers and with yourself.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    When I was VLC, I didn't eat anything veggie that wasn't leafy, and I didn't eat fruit at all. And I should go back to that as my weight loss has slowed up way more than I'd like.

Face it: You may never be able to eat "normally" again, if you are severely insulin resistant. Yes, social settings will always be tough, but you MUST stick to your guns. This is your health and your life that you're talking about. Is that worth risking to make sure someone isn't upset that you won't eat their fruitcake? It's a health issue; you MUST be firm about it - both with the pushers and with yourself.
    Thanks for your thoughts! You know, I so often take care of everyone else, but when it comes to myself I end up getting pushed aside. Sometimes I want someone to tell me to "take care of yourself!"
    That said, what exactly would be "severly insulin resistant"?
    I test my fbg on a home monitor every once in a while. My mom just got put on Glucophage, she did atkins for a few yrs, did fantastci, but when she wanted to eat "normal" again she noticed her sugars went up. Tired of worrying all the time she went on meds.
    Mine aren't that high. Fasting is about 100-110 (this morn it was 115 for the first time, but had a late night snakc and am sick)
    2hr postprandial isn't high at all, 130's but I am already grain free, very little sugar or dairy, just occasional choc and small amt cheese daily.
    My dr says my sugars are normal and have no need to worry. But, from what i read on the ADA website, these numbers show "pre-diabetes" Now that's scarey!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    You are teetering on the edge there, dear. 110 is the absolute top for a normal FBS and 115 is abnormal!! Ideally, shoot for double digits (99, less). It's concerning that you say you're eating so clean, yet the numbers are that high. How long have you been eating primally?
    Last edited by TigerLily; 12-04-2010 at 10:57 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

I just found PB about 1 mo ago-ish, can't rmember. I don't eat super clean all the time, and just came off vacation, where my hostesses bought me GF bread, cause thye knew I couldn't eat gluten. Felt bad and ate some. Also ate trail mix, in the car alot. We drove 11 hrs 1 way, then back. Stressfull.
    Anyway, I have been low carb on and off for yrs. But in between lowcrabing, I was a raw food vegan to heal severe leaky gut, and severe adrenal insufficiency. I now know that was bad for adrenals, but my gut is much better now!
    Anyway, in general I eat real clean! My "cheats" are blue corn chips with cheese, dark chocolate, or sometimes I indulge and eat the real starchy stuff with my family like squash, sweet potatoes etc. I love fruit, but don't eat it daily anymore.
    I did Atkins in August and did fantastic, but is just so diffciult to maintain so low carbs. Wondering how to do it over Christmas at the inlaws!

So, I had dinner late last night, at 9:30 while watching a movie. I have been sick and not wanting to eat at normal times. I had 2 eggs cooked with about 3tbsp flax, 2tbsp cream cheese and 2 tbsp of salsa.
    I was also up until 2am (insomnia due to illness-very much wishing to sleep!), and I drank a cup of herbal cold care nighttime tea.
    My fasting blood glucose was 112 this morning (at 9:30am)!
    Does the tea effect it? Being sick? That late of meal, even though it wasn't bad, and pretty low carb (maybe 7 nc total)?
    Maybe this really is becoming a reality. I guess it just stinks when I eat so good compared to the average joe (and my husband!)

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    you worrying about this weight is what's keeping it on, i bet. chill, eat unprocessed foods, and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonph View Post
    you worrying about this weight is what's keeping it on, i bet. chill, eat unprocessed foods, and you'll be fine.
    You know, I've been told-more times than i care to admit- that I over analyze things. I do. It's what keeps me going. I love trying to get to the bottom of things, and nutrition/healthy living is my passion. So many people, in my family alone are suffering greatly due to lack of knowledge and just following thier dr blindly. I won't let it happen to me!

But, honestly, I think you have something there. If I could let it go and stop stressing about the weight, it wouldn't be on the forefront of my mind, and I might ease up a bit to lose some of the excess.

I do think i know what I need to do, and I need to just do it. Stop analyzing and just do. Easier said than done though :-)

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    In social settings I would stick to cheese, and meat.

I started the whole30 on the first, and I think I would qualify as vlc (though I do not count macros.)

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by splunky View Post
    You know, I've been told-more times than i care to admit- that I over analyze things. I do. It's what keeps me going. I love trying to get to the bottom of things, and nutrition/healthy living is my passion. So many people, in my family alone are suffering greatly due to lack of knowledge and just following thier dr blindly. I won't let it happen to me!

But, honestly, I think you have something there. If I could let it go and stop stressing about the weight, it wouldn't be on the forefront of my mind, and I might ease up a bit to lose some of the excess.

I do think i know what I need to do, and I need to just do it. Stop analyzing and just do. Easier said than done though :-)
    Hey splunky. I'm it1958 and I over analyze everything, too! Oh, and I take care of "everyone" else first, as well!

When I started high fat, low carb eating just over a year ago, it was all about losing weight. Like you, i discovered that my blood sugar was 'above normal' (but not to the diabetic stage...yet!). Now that i've been introduced to the concept that i have Candidiasis (yeast overgrowth) and have really been serious about eating the "right things", the weight issue has really taken a back burner. Now it is all about healing the inside which is what it sounds to me like you need to do, as well.

As far as being successful at VLC... i think making sure you consume enough good fat is important. I've got a buddy who will have a whole pound of burger and 5 eggs in a meal. ya. that's plenty of fat! Hoy! :-))

And for the Christmas events? Anything that is not protein or fat is SUGAR. And not good for you. So, yes, take care of you. Stick to proteins and fat and realize you are doing this for YOUR HEALTH.

Blessings!!

Karen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast