Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happiness is a disease? page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Happiness is a disease?

Primal Fuel
    Apparently they want to put happiness into the same category as depression and call it a disorder.
    Here is the abstract.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    If it is, then reserve me a padded room now.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Gotta sell them meds!!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I particularly liked
    One possible objection to this proposal remains-that happiness is not negatively valued. However, this objection is dismissed as scientifically irrelevant.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Good grief...
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Um, wow. I guess I'll take a room across the hall from Mimi. Maybe we can meet in the dayroom and play cards?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I particularly liked
    One possible objection to this proposal remains-that happiness is not negatively valued. However, this objection is dismissed as scientifically irrelevant.
    And order, opposed to disorder, is not positively valued. To be consistent, they have to call happiness an order
    Last edited by peril; 12-04-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    "In a review of the relevant literature it is shown that happiness is statistically abnormal, consists of a discrete cluster of symptoms, is associated with a range of cognitive abnormalities, and probably reflects the abnormal functioning of the central nervous system."

So, what then is the normal range of cognitive abilities and the normal functioning of the central nervous state?

From a methodological standpoint the proposal makes some sense for quantifying, but how long until someone takes it too far and starts to declare that too much happiness is a real psychological disorder and requires medication?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    So, what then is the normal range of cognitive abilities and the normal functioning of the central nervous state?
    Go to work, do your job, pay your taxes, eat your food, don't look at your neighbours, keep your head down, get married, make babies. Survive, survive, survive and don't worry about living. That's a normal and acceptably functioning human being.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    This sounds like a headline on theonion. Have people just run out of things to study? Do they want to see if anyone is actually paying attention by making "discoveries" crazier and crazier? Insane.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast