Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happiness is a disease? page 2

driver8 is offline Junior Member

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    Let's all face it...some people are just idiots.

If happiness is a problem...then I must be an addict.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious: what is their definition of happiness? What are these clustered symptoms? I think most people would agree that people that survive awful situations by remaining in denial (as opposed to confronting, dealing with and moving on) need counseling and, very often, medication. I don't consider those people happy, though.

I would take the time to investigate the answers to my questions if I cared. ha ha ha But I don't ... which is probably a large part of the reason that I am happy ... I don't believe that something is *true* just because some intellectuals say that it's so.

Same topic but different direction: I just had a delicious dinner and a cocktail with a friend down in the lovely little village of Katonah. Stuff like that makes me happy! If I keep this up, it may become chronic ... terminal ... 'til I croak. =)

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Go to work, do your job, pay your taxes, eat your food, don't look at your neighbours, keep your head down, get married, make babies. Survive, survive, survive and don't worry about living. That's a normal and acceptably functioning human being.
    This.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I'm reading the fulltext of the article now. Don't take this too seriously; it's clearly meant to be funny in a tongue-in-cheek way. But it also uses this as a stepping stone example to make some quite interesting philosophical points about exactly how psychiatric disorders are currently defined and whether value judgements should play into that definition.

Some of my fave bits that made me snicker...
    "The behavioural components of happiness are less easily characterised but particular facial expressions such as 'smiling' have been noted..."

"... happy people seem to wish to force their condition on their unhappy companions and relatives."

"Given the apparent similarities between happiness and depression, it seems possible that endogenous happiness will be characterised by positive mood first thing in the morning, a heavy appetite, and persistent erotomania."

"I humbly suggest that the ordinary language term 'happiness' be replaced by the more formal description 'major affective disorder, pleasant type,' in the interests of scientific precision and in the hope of reducing any possible diagnostic ambiguities."

"once the debilitating consequences of happiness become widely recognised it is likely that psychiatrists will begin to devise treatments for the condition..."
    Wellp, I'm off to enjoy my persistent erotomania! :D (but where is my heavy appetite?!)
    Last edited by Jenny; 12-04-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: fixing quote code
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I'm reading the fulltext of the article now. Don't take this too seriously; it's clearly meant to be funny in a tongue-in-cheek way. But it also uses this as a stepping stone example to make some quite interesting philosophical points about exactly how psychiatric disorders are currently defined and whether value judgements should play into that definition.

Some of my fave bits that made me snicker...

Wellp, I'm off to enjoy my persistent erotomania! (but where is my heavy appetite?!)
    Now that I know its satire I am going to read the whole thing. I may even send this to a few friends.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I have just read the whole paper, its 18 years old. Its short and an illuminating read that subtly shows the problems of attempting to treat psychiatry as a real science. I'm not sure what the author's intention was though.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'd consider it satire anyway. Some of those deliberately stilted phrases were downright Nacirema in style (Google that for more lulz.)

I'd say the author's point is at the end there -- that despite claims to the contrary, value judgements do and should have a place in our definitions of disorders.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

stable31 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver8 View Post

That was hilarious.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Ok, I'll read the whole thing. All I saw was the abstract. satire= good fun.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast