Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight - HELP page

mobettabody is offline Member

Gaining weight - HELP

Primal Fuel
    About 3 months ago I was diagnosed as being prediabetic, my BP was real high and I'm considered obese. I began working out and watching diet and dropped 16 lbs in 2 months. Now my weight loss has come to a complete halt. I'm keeping my carbs under 100g, I'm exercising 5 days a week and for the last two weeks my weight has not budged. Now I've gained 2-1/2 lbs in the last 2 days. I recently added poultry back into my diet as I was feeling bad about eating all that dairy. I was a pescatarian before, eating mostly vegetarian with some fish. I'm following PB dietary guidelines and cannot figure out why I am gaining weight. I'm very frustrated. Does anyone have any ideas?

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    just switch something up. drop carbs to under 80g. do a different type of exercise. hell there are tons of things you can do. stop micromanaging your weight for one. try weighing yourself only once a month.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    You're probably still eating too many carbs. In my opinion, 100g a day is too much for somebody who is pre-diabetic. What do you normally eat in a day? I'm a diabetic and never go over 50g a day.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    We need way more details about what exactly you're eating on a daily basis. But just that one comment about "feeling bad about all that dairy" is a big clue. Some people do just fine with dairy, others don't. I suspect that you don't.

Well, I always have two eggs in the morning cooked either soft boiled, scrambled with butter, or in a vegetable omelet. If it's an omelet, I add a little cheese. I add veggies to my morning meal in one fashion or another; sauteed zukes or spinach, a smoothie with spinach and blueberries (only 1/2 a cup) or something of that sort.
    I'm in school so I take a cheese stick and chopped up veggies with me and usually a handful of unsalted mixed nuts. Sometimes a cheese stick and half an apple or cottage cheese and veggies. If I'm home I have a big salad with shrimp or chicken on it.
    Dinner is salmon or chicken, baked or broiled, and a veggie like broccoli or chard.
    4 or 5 times a week I have frozen raspberries with a little plain Greek yogurt for dessert. Once in a while a couple squares of dark chocolate.
    Maybe I need to cut down the nuts and cut out the chocolate?
    You think I should cut out the dairy? OMG it feels like I've cut out so much already.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Drop the nuts and cheese. Are you getting plenty of good fats - lard, tallow, olive oil, coconut oil, butter? Smoothies are also a bad habit - almost like injecting calories. Eat your food whole or chopped. Is the chicken lean? Try chicken thighs with the skin on. Reduce the berries.

This is all about being sated on good food so you don't eat much of the fattening bad food
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    seriously, it doesn't sound like you're eating too much. are you cheating with stuff irregularly that you're not including in that? if not - then frankly, i would just keep on trucking for a couple more weeks and see what happens. if you're still not losing weight, then yes, change something up. stop weighing yourself every bloody day.

Alan M is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't sweat not losing any weight over two weeks. I've been in the low 160s for about two months. My last plateau was when i was in the 180s and that lasted several months. My ultimate goal is good health, the weight loss is a side benefit of the primal/paleo lifestyle. The weight loss will happen though. Reflect on the long term--good health isn't a foot race; it's a marathon. I feel better today than I felt when I was in the 180s. At that time I felt much better than I did when I was over 200.

Some suggestions...

You may be working out too much. It's good to move around slowly, but working out five days a week may be adding undue stress to your body. Ease off a bit and try to get plenty of sleep.

Cut out the dairy. It's good for a growing boy or girl but not for an adult who isn't trying to bulk up. If you must have dairy stay with butter and heavy cream. Coconut oil and coconut milk would be better substitutes.

Hopefully, you're getting enough omega 3s. Fish oil, or lots of fatty fish will go a long way in helping cool your body's inflammation.

As suggested above, you could probably ease off on the carbs. Replace them with fat. There's nothing better than non-starchy veggies cooked in fat along with a steak.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Insulin resistance can be greatly improved by being in ketosis. Are you in ketosis? Definitely cut down on the dairy too and I would avoid fruit and chocolate.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I really don't cheat and that's why I'm so bewildered. I will drop the dairy, that sounds like a common thread. And I still try to keep the fats to a minimum, old habits die hard, so I'll work on incorporating more good fats. I'm concerned about giving up berries as they contain valuable phytonutrients and I only eat a 1/2 cup a day. So do any of you eat fruit?
    Thanks everyone

Oh, also wondering about fiber. I eat lots of veggies but still not as regular as when I was eating grains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast