Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What about water... Reverse Osmosis specifically page

it1958 is offline Senior Member

Question What about water... Reverse Osmosis specifically

Primal Fuel
    I am hearing that we should not drink reverse osmosis water not only because the good trace minerals have been taken from it but also because RO water LEACHES minerals from our bodies as it passes through.

I continue to search the internet to get proof of this claim but do not find anything conclusive: most claims come from either side of the spectrum who are selling something.

I've actually put this question to the author of my daughter's science book so am awaiting his response as well.

I'm also interested in the outlook here on the quality of your drinking water.

Thanks

Karen

xntrik is offline Member
    Personally, I'm cool with RO as long as minerals are added back in later. Our household water is rainwater off the roof, so it has very little mineral content to begin with. We use RO in our drinking water system because to get rid of any mercury picked up in the atmosphere, the choice is basically RO or distillation. Following the RO is a calcite mineral cartridge and a Japanese Wellness Filter, which has all sorts of other minerals in it. You can also add a liquid mineral concentrate, like ConcenTrace.

b4ds33d is offline Member
    i seriously doubt RO water has any negative effects on your health. almost every Navy ship has RO water systems, and i've never seen anything that would suggest there would be a problem. the only thing that would be put in the water after RO would be bromine, and in very small amounts. the buffer systems in your body can handle most fluctuations in your systemic mineral and lyte concentrations as long as you aren't deathly ill. i think you answered your own question, sounds like marketing.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Interesting question.. I remember talking to the wife of an RO eqpt dealer and she commented about how spraying shower doors with plain RO water removed scale from her glass shower doors.

Quote Originally Posted by b4ds33d View Post
    i seriously doubt RO water has any negative effects on your health. almost every Navy ship has RO water systems, and i've never seen anything that would suggest there would be a problem...
    I've read reports about the military using RO, too, but, as my son is a Marine, I do hear what the military would have our boys do and I'm not real positive they care about them except as live meat..... So I don't put too much stock in to what the military does for their men, sad to say...

But thanks for your input...

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Interesting question.. I remember talking to the wife of an RO eqpt dealer and she commented about how spraying shower doors with plain RO water removed scale from her glass shower doors.
    ummmm. yikes!

that would match up with some of what I am reading, that it is OK to drink RO or distilled water for a limited time to help clean out toxins... eesh.

b4ds33d is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by it1958 View Post
    I've read reports about the military using RO, too, but, as my son is a Marine, I do hear what the military would have our boys do and I'm not real positive they care about them except as live meat..... So I don't put too much stock in to what the military does for their men, sad to say...

But thanks for your input...

Karen
    having been a medic for both the marines and the navy, i can understand your sentiments. i never prescribed to that theory however, and looked at people as just that, people. not bullet fodder. but you have to look at it like this. why would the Navy spend millions having RO plants put into ships, if the old style flash evaporation units were better? why would the military intentionally spend more money on equipment that is gonna have negative effects on sailors health? with all the hearing loss and asbestos lawsuits the navy is dealing with these days, i doubt they would set themselves up for more litigation on that large a scale. you present a reason why, at the cellular level, RO water could be dangerous or not. i'd be interested in seeing your rationale.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    If you use RO water for a freshwater fish tank, the fish might die. That's always reassuring!

Saltwater do okay since you mix the RO with the salt mix anyway...

For people though, i have no idea. Go with the remineralization suggestions above, to play it safe, I guess...
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Oh my my, however did GROK do without RO?
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    Oh my my, however did GROK do without RO?
    Well, Grok's water probably wasn't as nasty as today's water is. From what I'm reading, the US has some of the cleanest water in the world. The rest is all deteriorating and has to be treated to get the nasties out of it, which is what an RO does.

With today's chemicals, etc., i'm not real "Grok-ie" about drinking just straight "tap" water myself.

We have an RO on our water. We live in the country, real close to the main river in our area and there's a lot of agriculture above us, so husband is quite concerned about the quality of our drinking water, esp as our water table goes up and down with the seasons. The poor ground just isnt what it used to be as a water filtration system.

And to b4DS... I am not the one that came up with the idea that RO water leaches minerals from our bodies, if that's what you were asking about. It's what I've heard and been told and trying to prove or dis-prove...

Karen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast