Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are high doses of Vitamin D Healthy? See this article page

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member

Are high doses of Vitamin D Healthy? See this article

Primal Fuel
    I heard this interview on NPR this past week: http://www.npr.org/2010/11/29/131668...d-on-vitamin-d

I think it's worth a look. I never took a lot of Vitamin D until I got on MDA, and heard from so many that it was necessary to increase my intake. I felt fine before that however. I currently taking about 8000 units daily, but think I will reduce it to about 1000-2000 until more research is done.

I remember when Vitamin E was the big thing about 10 years ago, and it turns out that taking too much actually shortens lifespan based on studies.

It seems we all can get on a kick about certain supplements from time to time.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    John, you should have your level checked. I take 10k units a day and my last level was 63, right where it should be. Before I started (at my Endocronogist suggestion) I was very low, in the teens and had pretty bad depression during the winter.

Also, take this study with a grain of salt. There's plenty of exsisting threads where this study has been discussed extensively.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    The Institute of Medicine panel rejects those claims [cancer, heart disease, etc]. The only benefit, it says, is to maintain healthy bones.
    Healthy bones? I'll take it.

Interesting stuff though. I'll keep taking my 6,000iu/day but keep an eye out for more studies.
    The Institute of Medicine experts worry that taking vitamin D in large doses over a long period might harm some people. The evidence is inconclusive

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    There's a great reply to this report here.

Think about it--we create 10,000-50,000 IUs of D3 just from sunbathing (bikini exposure, Southern states, summertime)--it makes sense to me that we are designed to expect larger amounts than the article recommends. Read the Vitamin D thread here for more anecdotal evidence of the value of making sure your vitamin D levels are sufficient per the Vitamin D Council recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    John, you should have your level checked. I take 10k units a day and my last level was 63, right where it should be. Before I started (at my Endocronogist suggestion) I was very low, in the teens and had pretty bad depression during the winter.

Also, take this study with a grain of salt. There's plenty of exsisting threads where this study has been discussed extensively.

I did get tested, and I was at adequate levels, although I was taking Vitamin D supplement of about 1000 per day at the time. However, based on what a lot of people in here were recommending, I still increased my dosage to 8000 per day. So, I think if my test results show I am fine at 1000, then I will probably stick at that.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    "Adequate" is normally a term used to describe the bare minimum amount needed to not induce major system malfunctions. It's almost always very far from optimal. Considering that we now know that vit D is a factor in the proper transcription of over 200 different genes and that it binds at over 2000 sites along our genome including many areas related to a number of different autoimmune diseases (ScienceDaily), I think you can properly discount the advice of any paper which states vit D is only for bone health as being severely outdated.

I did get tested, and I was at adequate levels, although I was taking Vitamin D supplement of about 1000 per day at the time. However, based on what a lot of people in here were recommending, I still increased my dosage to 8000 per day. So, I think if my test results show I am fine at 1000, then I will probably stick at that.
    Out of curiosity, what were your levels? Was the test done by LabCorp or Quest?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Out of curiosity, what were your levels? Was the test done by LabCorp or Quest?
    My results were 42, and it was LabCorp.

My reason for posting this is for everyone to think about why they are taking how much they are taking. Just as I pointed out, Vitamin E was the miracle supplement in the early 90's, and it turned out to be really negative in high doses. I am on suggesting that high doses of Vitamin D is unhealthy. But for myself, I am going to keep my dosage on the lower end for now until further studies are completed.

My results were 42, and it was LabCorp.
    OK, so I imagine you know already that this would not be considered adequate by the Vitamin D Council folks. Their recommended range is 50-80. Dr. Mercola noted that he personally felt best when his levels were at 79--the upper end of the range. I am waiting for my test results to see where where I am at after supplementing 8,000 IUs/day for a year.

But for myself, I am going to keep my dosage on the lower end for now until further studies are completed.
    Your choice, of course! I think you may be waiting quite awhile for further studies. There is little financial incentive by pharmaceutical companies to do testing and I doubt that the government will act very quickly. I am going by how I feel, backed up by my test results.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast