Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Always Frustrating at the Start? page

Stizzorm is offline Junior Member

Is it Always Frustrating at the Start?

Shop Now
    I have made several attempts to start this diet, as I like the research and empirical evidence behind/surrounding it. I keep running into snags, and they all seem to be for different reasons. The first few times, people talked me into something that was particularly delicious and/or rare (regional foods, etc). Last night, it was this ravenous hunger that apparently came from out of nowhere, and I, like a fool, had not prepared and talked myself into a nacho snarf. I know I don't have to be perfect, but how do I get out of my own way? I have thought of telling people to consider it like vegetarianism, where you stop offering the person things they don't want, but other people are only part of the problem (me being the most of it). I'm not going to beat myself up over this, because I know it's a learning experience, but how did you successful PB-ers do this? Thanks.

shadowfoot is offline Junior Member
    I don't think it ever gets "easy." There will always be people in social settings trying to feed you food you don't want to eat. There is no getting around it. What gets easier, in my opinion, is that with time you get better at A. Saying no when you really don't want something and B. Accepting some of the things people give you as 80/20 without worrying too much about them. It is always important to not stress yourself out about it, which in my mind diminishes a lot of the benefit of eating this way.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I think you nailed the answer when you mentioned planning ahead. ALWAYS have something primal prepared and handy to get you through until your cravings diminsh and new habits form.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Stizzorm is offline Junior Member
    Also, has anyone found an "induction phase" helpful, or is this unnecessary doing BP? Thanks again.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stizzorm View Post
    Also, has anyone found an "induction phase" helpful, or is this unnecessary doing BP? Thanks again.
    There does seem to be value in an Atkins-like "induction phase" in terms of bodyfat loss, but not everyone is the "cold turkey" type -- so if they try induction, they may suffer the ol' low carb flu and/or fail repeatedly and give up. Obviously, those people would have been better off to baby-step into primal and stay there. Other people prefer to tough it out all at once.

Either way works just fine. Consider your personality and decide what will work for YOU. Remember, the goal is not a crash diet, but a sustainable lifestyle.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Some people go cold turkey for a month. Google "Whole 30" for that approach. For you, that might be a good thing to try. Others ease into it gradually - I started out just cutting the grains, then started thinking about the oils, etc etc. That worked for me. Just like smoking, I think the method depends on the individual.
    BTW, "does it ever get easy" - yeah it gets very very easy to the point of being fun and a no brainer.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Take it one day at a time, if you fall off the wagon, get back on. It's no big deal unless you let it be...

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I would say go 100% for just a few days and you'll be surprised, at least I was. I had intended to ease into things but, for me at least, the effects were amazing and almost instantaneous.

And, to quote Grizz in another thread, "you must eat fat." This is still the sticking point with me but among other things it will lead to satiety and stave off the hungry horrors. This is something I got more from this forum than the book.

I went to a reunion last week w/ a predictably bad Chinese buffet. I had a plate of turkey before I left the house and was able to start right in on the scotch as soon as I arrived. Most other functions should have at least something primal be it the roasted meat or cheese, and my favorite 20%, pumpkin pie.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Having the occasional plate of nachos or meal out with your friends does not mean you are failing. Eat primal foods most of the time. The little slip ups are more of a mental problem than a physical one.

It is important though to develop a few primal staple meals and snacks and keep in the house all the time. I always have ground beef, avocados, almonds, and a few other items - so if I am ravenous and not prepared, I can eat some of those.

Also, it is very true that if you are eating a lot of fat with your primal meals, you will not be tempted by non-primal food. The fat changes that way your body craves food.

Good luck. Just stick with it, it will come.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Actually if I stray off course or gain a few pounds, I always do the Atkins induction for a while, but with primal foods. So I don't go over 20g of carbs a day. It is immensely helpful for getting rid of cravings and water retention and it is almost impossible not to lose weight this way. And yes, you should always plan ahead although it does get easier after a while.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast