Page 51 of 150 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancer Survivor Climbs Kilimangaro or Grok goes back to Africa page 51

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Is it because they wouldn't want to eat it if they knew what it was or because you would want to keep it all to yourself and not share?
    Mostly the former...they all like their meat to recognizable as pretty standard stuff, and a bit of the latter...if it was really good! I do have some grass fed beef liver and kidney from my last farm order that I have to figure out what to do with, and hubby already gave me strict instructions to not even try to give him any. Yet he likes pate, and ate my turkey giblet stuffing when I used to make that.

And happy birthday to you!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    I took a break over the weekend, but I'm gonna give the calorie counting one more week and then I'll weigh and measure and see if it made any difference.

I hear you lost some. Congrats!
    I've come down somewhere in the middle of the "to weigh or not to weigh?" question. I've decided that I weigh every day but that no weight loss or gain is "real" until it is there consistently for several days. If you only weigh infrequently, you might happen to get the one day that is the anomaly and have it skew your impression of a whole week. If you have more data points, you can see an anomaly sticking out and disregard it. I didn't brag about the 176 until it had been there for four days. But yes, I am pretty stoked about it. Thank you. I really hope it works for you too.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 03-15-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Mostly the former...they all like their meat to recognizable as pretty standard stuff, and a bit of the latter...if it was really good! I do have some grass fed beef liver and kidney from my last farm order that I have to figure out what to do with, and hubby already gave me strict instructions to not even try to give him any. Yet he likes pate, and ate my turkey giblet stuffing when I used to make that.

And happy birthday to you!
    Thank you. If you have a grinder or a processor you could always slip some of the offal into marinara sauce or chile. Nobody would know the difference but you.

Paleobird Guest
    So, I had an excellent primal birthday. I took the Wolf Cub for a nice long walk to his favorite dogpark, about 5-6 miles round trip. It is shorts and tank top weather here so I got my vitamin D along the way. I did my pull up practice. Then my Dad took me out to dinner at Outback Steak House. I had this big motha of a porterhouse steak with salad, veggies, and a glass of Pinot, no dessert. I had some panther bar later when I got home. And, according to Sparkpeople I still came in at almost exactly 1500 calories. I just had a protein shake for breakfast and IFed lunch because we were going for an early dinner. The Wolf Cub had hours of fun gnawing that steak bone dry.

Aila is offline Senior Member
    OOH! Belated happy birthday wishes to you, Robin!!

What a delicious dinner and lovely day! I agree, a Most Excellent Primal Birthday!

For the record, I too do a daily weigh in, which I track using Withings (it automatically posts to my laptop and iPhone, and makes cool charts...). I "count" the weekly Wednesday weigh in, but it is very validating for me to learn about the daily ups and downs, and actually helps me be less freaked out. In this, as in all things, I say, do what works for you - and regular weigh ins work for me.

May this coming year bring you all good things!
    50 yo single mom
    5'3"
    Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Paleobird Guest
    Thank you Aila.
    In my academic geek mind info=power so the more data points I have the better. I know for some people even looking at the scale is an emotional trauma in which case best to get your head on straight first before trying any major tracking. I haven't tried Withings. I just found out today on sparkpeople that they have an app for calculating your walking miles. You trace out your route on a map and they tell you exactly how far it is. Cool.

Paleobird Guest
    So today I made a huge batch of venison biltong in the dehydrator. Smells yummy but I'm too full to try it now.

B: 3 eggs + acai berry puree and whey powder shake
    D: 13 elk meatballs and a really big container of pickled mustard greens (which is doing weird things to my digestive system. Gurgle, gurgle......I know it's the mustard greens not the meatballs because I had the meatballs yesterday too.)
    panther bar snackage and still at 1400 calories for the day. The calories on the meatballs are guess-timated because Sparkpeople didn't have any listing for elk offal. The elk meat mix is 1/4 each of muscle, heart, tongue, and liver. They had numbers for elk meat but for the others parts I had to use cow numbers so I think the real total is less since elk is in general less caloric and fatty than beef. Oh well, calorie counting doesn't have to be THAT exact.

I got in a good LHT workout complete with pull up practice. I am managing to do a few reps with the less strong woody band and then finish up the set with the stronger one. Yesterday I could only do 1 with the less strong band, today I did 2 (2 each of Chins an pull ups). I've moved up half a level in the pushups to doing them on my dining room table edge (about mid thigh for me). Next is two chairs next to each other and then maybe some all the way on the floor. It really feels good to be seeing some tangible progress.

Oh, and today I had to get a hole punch out of my Dad's workshop and make a new tighter hole in my favorite belt.

Paleobird Guest
    Today I did a walk/sprint/walk/sprint......... with my Wolf Cub for about an hour. About a dozen good sprints involved. Something in my elbow joint was telling me to leave the pull up bar alone for today. Tomorrow Raphaella and I are going for a 1/2 marathon walk which means I am going to have to keep up with a 23 year old. Wish me luck.

Dashed out with only wheatgrass juice for breakfast today then had some of my new venison biltong for lunch. I think I finally have got the spice and everything perfected. Good stuff. Then dinner tonight was a top round steak and a bowl of mashed butternut squash with coconut oil plus nutmeg and cinnamon. Since I'm still a little low on protein for the day , I think I'm going to make one of my whey shakes for dessert.
    The only difference that my new calorie and macro tracking system made to my day is that I measured the coconut oil, instead of just throwing in a huge dollop. This isn't deprivation, it's just being sensible.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Tomorrow Raphaella and I are going for a 1/2 marathon walk which means I am going to have to keep up with a 23 year old. Wish me luck.
    Hopefully her boobs will weigh her down.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Hopefully her boobs will weigh her down.
    Hehe! Turns out, she flaked on me because she was and I quote, "dying of women's disease". So the wolf cub and I walked the 1/2 marathon without her. Jeesh, bunch of wussie kids.

Page 51 of 150 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast