Page 3 of 150 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancer Survivor Climbs Kilimangaro or Grok goes back to Africa page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I feel about coconut products the way Batty feels about her bacon. This morning I used a can of coconut milk with acai berry puree and a splash of pomegranate juice to make a breakfast shake. I was oohing and cooing over every sip thinking, "This can't possibly be healthy, it tastes too freaking amazing".

Totally IFed lunch, not deliberately, just forgot about it.

Went to a dinner function where I had no control over the menu but managed to stick to my primal guns. Skipped the bread. The soup was a yummy lobster bisque which may have had some dairy in it but I'm not going to stress over that. The entree was Beef Wellington which is basically a hunk of beef baked in a pastry shell. I peeled off the pastry (which was soggy and not very appetizing anyway) and just ate the beef. There was a grand total of 3 baby carrots served as veggies per person. I had a cup of herbal tea while everyone else had creme brulee. That, I'll admit was a bit tough. I don't have much of a sweet tooth but that is one of my favorites. When I got home I was craving something green and crunchy so I ate a whole romaine lettuce heart, just chomped through it like a gorilla. Also had a handful of macadamia nuts since the protein part of the dinner had been kind of dinky once all that puff pastry was peeled away.

So, a pretty good day for diet but I have to do better on making time for workouts. I had planned to do a Lift Heavy Things session today but the time just got away from me and the next thing I knew I was dashing out the door to get to that dinner.

Holding steady at 176 and the jeans seem to be buttoning easier. Cool.

Goodnight folks,

Robin

Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    What do you do for a living Paleobird?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    if you do come down, we'll hang out. we love hanging out with travelers from the internet. seriously, since i've moved here, i've met more internet people in real life than i did at home. also, my friends and family "call" me more often via skype. they all got skype because i moved here. it's totally bizarre.

yeah, in regards to vits. people were freaked out that i didn't take prenatals. my mothers says that ever since i was a little kid, she *could not* get me to take vitamins. but, i never seemed to have any trouble, and the blood work always comes back great, and the doctor would ask my mom if i took them, and instead of sitting through another lecture, she just started saying "yes" because they would then go "still taking the bitamins, i see! her bloodwork is great!" and it's like, yeah, "still taking them." eye roll. nope, just can't force me to do it.

finally, our family doc--the one we love-- was like "did you take a prenatal?" and i said "nope. i hate vitamins." and he goes "oh, ok." did the blood work, and he goes "wow, you are a healthy little family. i've never seen such good numbers across the board. and you don't supplement?" he knows we do fermented cod liver oil and such, but he was impressed. so, i figure keep doing what i'm doing. And you should see how my dentist raves about my teeth.

anyhoot, it's just a personal thing. simply cannot do it. would rather eat food. i love food.

i think you're going to love the kili climb. it'll be no problem for you. a bunch of my friends did the 5-day up route, and all but one of them was completely and ridiculously out of shape. I mean just terrible shape. they were fine. you'll be knocking it down.

i'm looking forward to part of the inca trail and macchu picchu myself. did i spell that right? kili is interesting, but i really want to see MP. have since i was a kid. Also, bhutan. don't know what's up with that. ;D oh well, weird, i guess.

i'll get their fairly soon. i want the kid to be able to enjoy. we're thinking about doing a walk about for a couple of years when he's 12-14. see as much as the world as we want, homeschool him during that time. best experience for a boy that age, right? i think so.

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Kane,
    I used to teach English at SDSU but I'm retired now. I was out on medical leave with the breast cancer when my very elderly and very ill aunt passed away and left me a chunk of money. The combination of mortality and money seemed like a sign from the universe that I should enjoy life to the fullest now, not wait for some future time. I've always wanted to travel. So I quit work and, since then, I have been to the south Pacific, a road trip from SD to Montana, a trans US road trip from here to Georgia and back (both road trips with my trusty wolf cub), then a trip to China and this past spring I went to southern Africa. My next big adventure is the Mt Kili climb coming up in August 2011.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-07-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Zoebird,
    Macchu Picchu is next on my "to do" list right after Mt Kili. Then the Pyramids in Egypt.

How old is your little one now?

Robin

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    he's 2. it doesn't restrict us from travel; he's got quite a bug for it.

we're building our business now (been at it 10 months or so), and we are doing a tour of the south island here in a couple of weeks (yay!). but i think a walk about--which would be just going everywhere for 1-2 years--would be better spent on an older kid than a younger. but i think we are planning a trip to somewhere each year. i'm not sure MP is on the map right now, just because the kid couldn't handle the climbs. he does well enough on the hills here, but his limit is about a mile, and honestly, he goes about 2 blocks before he wants to be held. then down again two blocks later, than up again two blocks later. i think it would drive me mad. LOL

Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hi Kane,
    I used to teach English at SDSU but I'm retired now. I was out on medical leave with the breast cancer when my very elderly and very ill aunt passed away and left me a chunk of money. The combination of mortality and money seemed like a sign from the universe that I should enjoy life to the fullest now, not wait for some future time. I've always wanted to travel. So I quit work and, since then, I have been to the south Pacific, a road trip from SD to Montana, a trans US road trip from here to Georgia and back (both road trips with my trusty wolf cub), then a trip to China and this past spring I went to southern Africa. My next big adventure is the Mt Kili climb coming up in August 2011.
    You've been through a lot, and seen a lot. I'm sorry you've been through such hardships. From what you write, however, you seem to be recovering admirably.

The reason I asked what you did for a living was because I noticed the shelves of books behind you in one of your photos. Such tid-bits always spark my curiosity, being a fellow bibliophile myself.

Take care,
    Kane

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Kane,
    Yes, I had a first date once with a guy who saw my library and said, "Gee, did you really read all of these? Personally I can't see the point in reading a book when you can rent the DVD, it's just so much easier." Needless to say, there wasn't a second date happening there. Bibliophiles of the world, unite!

Zoebird,
    Thanks for the kind invite. If your walk abouts ever lead you to southern California, I would be happy to show you around.

Morning weigh in at 175 Wooo HOOO! That's 5 down and 25 more to go.

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    If you ever feel the need to get out of the extremes of Sacramento weather, hop an Amtrak down to San Diego and I'll show you around.
    Yes! That sounds like a fabulous day of fun. Somehow, all these years living in Cali, and I've never made it to SD...

And I love the Amtrak. Don't you? One can sip a glass of wine while reading a book or conversing with other passengers. Such a more civilized way to travel than the airplane.

Paleobird Guest
    HI Jazmin,
    They don't call San Diego America's Finest City for nothing........................

My sister lives up your way near Stockton and I went to school in the bay area too so I know how the weather can get. I used to take the train home to see Mom & Dad at Xmas and Easter.

Page 3 of 150 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast