Page 2 of 150 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancer Survivor Climbs Kilimangaro or Grok goes back to Africa page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Yikes! Sounds like you had a much worse case of tailbone bonking than I have. I took your advice an got up and did some stretches and twists and that helped a lot. Something at the base of my spine went "Click" as I was twisting and suddenly the pain was much less. I've still got the muscle soreness but I think I got things re-aligned.

Thank you for the compliments. That really cheered me up.

Robin

Paleobird Guest
    This has been a weird day. The only thing getting a workout is my fingers on the keyboard.
    I just kind of snacked all day, not really meals. Didn't have any appetite.
    Acai protein shake
    goji berries
    pine nuts
    bag of Flax Snax (they're a mix of flax and sesame seeds pressed into little wafers and baked I found at Henry's, wouldn't really recommend them)

The rear end is feeling a lot better than this time yesterday however. Then I could barely get up the stairs. Now I'm just sore. Another Advil PM night for me. Yes, I hate to take pain killers but sometimes they are necessary.

Tomorrow can't help but get better.

Goodnight all

Robin

BeagleMan is offline Senior Member
    So...do you know which route up Kilimanjaro you are taking? I had postponed my trip there....and it kills me. In the past week, I read that you were going, and the topic came up with a co-worker who asked me when I was going. My problem is that it's big bucks...and I have other big trips planned with family. I'm likely going to Qatar this time next year to see my inlaws who are working there for 3 years. I have started looking into going there for a few days, fly down to Tanzania from there to do the climb, then back up for a week...while wife and kids stay in Qatar with her family.

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yikes! Sounds like you had a much worse case of tailbone bonking than I have. I took your advice an got up and did some stretches and twists and that helped a lot. Something at the base of my spine went "Click" as I was twisting and suddenly the pain was much less. I've still got the muscle soreness but I think I got things re-aligned.

Thank you for the compliments. That really cheered me up.

Robin
    You got it! Glad the twisting and turning helped a little. It seems counterintuitive, but it really helps. ~Click~ ~Snap~

Paleobird Guest
    Hey Beagleman,
    BTW, your dog is adorable but then I'm sure you knew that.

About the Kili climb. I'm doing the Rongai route on the way up and the Marangu route on the way down. That way I get five days up and two going down.
    For those who haven't researched Kilimangaro as thoroughly as Beagleman, the fastest way to climb it is the main tourist route (Marangu) affectionately known as "The Coco Cola Route" because there are established bunk houses along the way where they will sell you a Coke. The price goes up with the altitude and westerners' desperation for some caffeine and sugar. This route is 3 days up and 2 days down but it has the lowest success rate of actually getting to the top because people try to push too much altitude too fast and end up with AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) and have to get carried down. AMS is nothing to screw around with. In its milder form, it presents as headaches, dizziness, confusion but if it gets severe it can cause embolisms in your lungs or in your brain that can kill you.

The way I'm doing the climb gives me five days on the way up including one do absolutely nothing and just let the old bod acclimate to the altitude day.

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Jazmin,
    Feeling much better this morning. I managed to get a good night's sleep without any pharmaceutical help and that was a plus. Those always leave me feeling foggy-brained the next day.

If you ever feel the need to get out of the extremes of Sacramento weather, hop an Amtrak down to San Diego and I'll show you around.

Robin

Paleobird Guest
    Well, I think this journaling thing really works. If I didn't feel the need to check in this evening I might have spent another day feeling sorry for my bruised tailbone. But this turned out to be a really good day. I got off my rear and did some floor stretches and yoga moves to limber up my hips and legs and then took the hound out for a long walk. We did about an hour and a half round trip to the leash-free dog park he so adores.

I also figured out how to make olive oil mayo in the blender today and used it on both my meals it turned out so well. The mayos at the health food stores may say, "Made With Olive Oil", but a closer examination with the reading glasses on shows that they are mostly canola "with" a teensy bit of olive.

Speaking of BS labeling, did you know that there may be sugar lurking in your garlic salt? Yep, Lawry's, one of the biggest spice brands around, has sugar in it. You don't think you need to read the label on something as simple and straightforward as garlic salt. It should have two ingredients, garlic and salt, right? Those sneaky SOBs.

The moral of the story is: Always bring your reading glasses to the market.

The menu for the day:

wheatgrass juice early with emails.

late breakfast of egg salad made with my new mayo

dinner was a big ass salad with a pork burger patty (also with mayo on it)

I think I will now curl up with some internet TV, a glass of Pinotage, and a square of dark chocolate.

Life is indeed good.

See you all tomorrow,

Robin

Paleobird Guest

Why I don't think I need supplements

I just read the post about "Grok didn't take supplements, why should I? I think it's great that Mark is upfront about the fact that most of his income comes from supplements and I don't at all begrudge him a way to make a living. I think that supplements are necessary for a lot of people, just not me. This all boils down to two things:

1) I have the world's most stress free life.

I was fortunate enough to be able to retire early so all of the stresses that go with, commuting, idiot bosses, and annoying co-workers are not there. My time is also my own so I get plenty of sleep plus I can take my time with shopping and cooking primally (I like to cook and I'm quite good at it so I'm told). I'm also not stressing about the mortgage payment or if organic meat is a little more expensive. I'm not Lear Jets and Lambroginis kind of wealthy, just comfortable that there will be a roof over my head and food in the fridge for the rest of my life without the daily grind of a 9-5. Once a year I have a few stressful days as I wait for the results of my latest mammogram to come back, but I am learning not to let those get to me. In fact, I think my close brush with mortality in the form of cancer has given me a new zest for living in the moment.

I also don't have a spouse and kids. It's not a coincidence that all the people I know who have little kids all look exhausted all the time. For me, not having kids wasn't a choice, I can't have them physically. I didn't find this out until I was married and it was basically the reason the marriage ended. I love playing with my friends' kids and then handing them back to their parents and going home with my quiet obedient dog. To all the people out there raising kids, good for you, I'm so glad you are. Somebody has to but it's not in the cards for me. I would love to find a compatible partner but I would rather be alone than in a relationship that is an energy black hole. Since I don't need a guy for any of the wrong reasons like financial support, social status, or to be the father of my kids, I don't have to put up with a guy who is acting like a jerk. If he doesn't come around, I move on. This may mean that I end up not ever getting pair bonded for life but I'm ok with that. I do date and I also have the most wonderful friends anyone could ever ask for plus the world's greatest Dad so I'm not lonely. Plus the primal wolf cub is always good company.

2) I live in sunny San Diego.

We have all the vitamin D in the world about 99% of the time plus very rarely is there a weather related excuse not to exercise. We also have year round access to a large variety of fresh locally grown organic produce and enough health conscious people that there are many stores carrying organic protein and produce, making it a competitive market. We also have all the fresh wild caught seafood you could ever want and a large part of my diet is seafood.

So I like to eat and drink my vitamins, minerals, fish oils, antioxidants, and probiotics rather than take them in pill form. And I have the time and tools to do that. I also don't put poisons in my body like drugs or smoking and I keep the red wine to a one or twice a week. And I keep away from exposure to anything chemical like dyes and scents in soaps, etc.

I think supplements are a good backstop if you need them. I just don't need them. No matter how hot Mark looks in swim trunks and he does indeed (ladies, am I right?), he is not going to convince me to buy supplements. (Yes, I know he's married, rats!)

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    even though i have a job and family, i still exercise, eat well, and get vit d, so i don't take supplements either, honestly. just not my thing.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Zoebird,
    Yep, it's a personal decision. There are a lot of studies saying that the actual absorption of supplements in the concentrated processed pill form is so low that they are basically a waste of money. You are better off putting that same money into some good quality food where your body can fully absorb the nutrition.

I can see if someone lived in a really cold climate, they might need some extra D or if someone doesn't have time to eat right, say if they travel a lot for work, they might need some supplements. I didn't mean to imply that everyone who has a family is at the end of their rope, just those with little tots always seem to be. I think it's the sleep deprivation of 4am feeding etc. If you have a good relationship with your spouse and raise your children to be well behaved, I think having a family can actually be a stress buffer against the rest of the world. From reading your journal, you seem to be doing an admirable job of it.

I was only in NZ once and only got to stay one day (a cruise ship stop over) but it was breathtakingly beautiful. I would love to go back there some time and stay a while.

Robin

Page 2 of 150 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast