Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Fall Asleep page

MrsToon is offline Senior Member

How to Fall Asleep

(I gave this info to Mal in her success journal. She says it worked perfectly. Dragonfly suggested I post it here, so please enjoy!)

You may be having trouble falling asleep, staying up with racing thoughts etc. I used to have a real problem with this. The tossing and turning was exhausting. Now I fall asleep quickly, no matter where I am or what time it is.

Here's the trick: Resist the Urge to Turn. That feeling is actually your body requesting permission from the brain to shut down and become paralyzed during deep sleep (so you don't act out your dreams). Remember the STOP, DROP, and ROLL technique:

Stop moving. Lay with your arms above your head, and focus on your breathing. Paint a nice relaxing scene in your mind. Listen to your heartbeat. You will soon want to put your arms down, which prevent you from relaxing completely. Keep very still, until you finally

Drop your arms to your sides, or chest. Feel the muscles in your neck and shoulders and back finally relax. Keep holding still. I like to do backwards numerical countdowns, or focus on relaxing completely from my toes to legs to torso to arms etc. Resist crossing and uncrossing your feet, or repositioning your hands and arms. Those are mini "roll over" signals. Soon you will feel like turning over. Don't! Wait until you really must roll over. Countdown to it in your mind. You might notice your muscles will twitch suddenly, or you keep swallowing. Those are more little nudges that are letting the body know that you are really falling asleep and relaxed.

Roll over very slowly and gradually. Find a position that is immediately comfortable. You can make minor adjustments, but do not turn over onto your other side and you will be asleep very quickly. This works for me every time.

I got this info from Nick Newport who owns Lucidology.com and his YouTube Channel
    Specifically this one, which has much more detailed information that what I have summarized.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    This is very interesting.

Until I was in my mid-thirties, I had problems sleeping. On the whole, I sleep very well now. My technique is not anything that I could sum up as beautifully as you have.

That said, I am going to watch myself as I drift off ... I wonder ... do I do the things that you suggest?

Anyway, I have read posts here that indicate that many people have tilt-a-whirl brains and they are regularly sleep deprived. I hope they read this and that it works for them.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    When you say to lay with your arms above your head, do you mean in the air, reaching towards the ceiling?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    When I have trouble relaxing and falling asleep I have a technique that I use. It's really simple.

Get in a comfortable position- however you prefer to fall asleep.

Start at your feet and imagine either completely vanishing, or becoming immobile. In either case, you're unable to move... first your toes, then your whole foot, up to your knees... actually feel yourself becoming invisible or paralyzed. Up your thighs, waist, chest... hands, elbows... usually by the time I get to this point, I've fallen asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    This is very interesting.

Until I was in my mid-thirties, I had problems sleeping. On the whole, I sleep very well now. My technique is not anything that I could sum up as beautifully as you have.

That said, I am going to watch myself as I drift off ... I wonder ... do I do the things that you suggest?

Anyway, I have read posts here that indicate that many people have tilt-a-whirl brains and they are regularly sleep deprived. I hope they read this and that it works for them.
    Thanks, Debbie! I would be interested to hear your ritual for falling asleep. The links above have a lot more information about that weird realm between wakefulness and sleep. You actually can stay mentally aware while your body goes to sleep. I managed this a few weeks ago. Fun stuff! You will not get this when you fall asleep at night, though, only if you wake up very early and then get back in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    When you say to lay with your arms above your head, do you mean in the air, reaching towards the ceiling?
    Haha, that WOULD get uncomfortable! No, just cross them on your pillow above the top of your head. Or, put them under your head, or stretched out to the sides. Something that will become mildly uncomfortable as you continue to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    When I have trouble relaxing and falling asleep I have a technique that I use. It's really simple.

Get in a comfortable position- however you prefer to fall asleep.

Start at your feet and imagine either completely vanishing, or becoming immobile. In either case, you're unable to move... first your toes, then your whole foot, up to your knees... actually feel yourself becoming invisible or paralyzed. Up your thighs, waist, chest... hands, elbows... usually by the time I get to this point, I've fallen asleep.
    That is almost exactly what Newport describes as the Blanket Effect, the feeling like your limbs are trapped under a lead sheet, from the feet up. Your body is actually becoming paralyzed when you go to sleep, so to visualize that is a perfect trick!

Another tip: Take a few minutes to relax the muscles of your jaw and temple. The jaw can exert more force, and carries more tension, than any other muscle group in the body. A few good yawns, and gently massaging circles along my jaw really gets me in the mood to snooze.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'll have to try the jaw/temple thing. I notice I tend to tense up my shoulders and neck, and sometimes have to consciously relax them. Never paid much mind to my jaw but I will tonight.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I continue to play out a story in my head that I've been imagining for the past 21 years or so.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I have 3 methods. They all work, just depends on circumstances.
    1) orgasm. 'Nuff said.
    2) Little short stories that I've made up over the years. I have no clue how any of them end, because I'm usually out halfway in. I just start playing them out in my head and let my mind drift when it's ready for sleep.
    3) Squeeze and Relax. I read it in a book when I was around 10. Basically, starting at your toes, you tense each set of muscles as tights as you can without moving that part of the body. Hold for 10 -15s. When you relax, your body seems to "reset" those muscles, letting them truly relax. Supposedly, you take it all the way up the body. I never get past the diaphragm before I'm asleep.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Jagerbombs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast