Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page

janagram is offline Senior Member

Cool gals over 50?

Shop Now
    I love all you primal folks, but I wanna read a journal of someone over 50!! A female. To see what you all have accomplished later in life! We can do it!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I'm 52, but I don't have a journal. I know Kunochi is somewhere around my age; she has a journal.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I'm 57 but am not a journaler. I started PB about 6 months ago after 5 months of Protein Power and 6 months of Weight Watchers. I lost 30 lb. with WW and another 10 with PP and PB. I'm here for life as Ihave no interest in dieting forever or being chained to a treadmill.

I have seen improvement in my hip osteoarthritis but it has not been eliminated, darn it!

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I'll be 54 in a few weeks. I don't have a journal but since January 1, 2009 I have lost 65 pounds. The first year, or so, was low carb. I found PB early in 2010.

The daily pain from bone on bone osteoarthritis of my left knee is only now an occasional event. The prescription meds needed to control the pain are history.
    Last edited by marcadav; 12-03-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Dragonfly...it'll do nicely! Good to hear from all you voices of experience! Adrianag, sounds like WW worked well for you.....dang! I can't see doing WW, that is why I'm here....(tho I heard they have recently made fruits and veggies zero carb!!) ....but wondering what it takes to actually drop lbs....as soon as possible....there's a lot of leeway on Primal. But that's the beauty of it, too. You can live with it.
    marcadav!!! your weight loss is da bomb! How inspiring! Can you share some of your tips? lo carb is verrrry close to primal.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    janagram,
    Some of the things that worked for me:
    1. Deciding that changing my ways was for health reasons, not weight loss. I told myself that if I got and stayed healthy then I would be successfully even if I stayed overweight. The weight loss has been a nice perk. Getting healthy--priceless.
    2. I spent a few months getting my head ready before I took action. This meant deciding what I could and would do.
    3. I do some type of exercise M-F. I also do it first thing in the morning. That way it's harder for me to make excuses.
    4. I set goals or challenges for myself every so often. This month, until my birthday, is no dairy or sweeteners. Hard because Diet Pepsi is my downfall--day 7 & counting. Also, the longest I've gone without Diet Pepsi in over 20 years. I'm also realizing butter and cheese are my favorite satiety fats.
    5. I record weekly weight, exercise, and brief thoughts. That way when things get tough I can look back and see what worked, what didn't and how far I've come.
    6. Finding PB has helped make better food choices and exercise smarter.

Finally, my strong family history of obesity and diabetes is my impetus. My father lost toes and then died this year from unhealthy choices. I have sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, a niece, and BILs that are diabetic. Most of my extended family members are either overweight, obese, or morbidly obese.

Thanks for your great tips!! Your path is a courageous one! Your progress is super inspiring to me and I like the challenges you set for yourself! Best of luck!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janagram View Post
    Dragonfly...it'll do nicely! Good to hear from all you voices of experience! Adrianag, sounds like WW worked well for you.....dang! I can't see doing WW, that is why I'm here....(tho I heard they have recently made fruits and veggies zero carb!!) ....but wondering what it takes to actually drop lbs....as soon as possible....there's a lot of leeway on Primal. But that's the beauty of it, too. You can live with it.
    marcadav!!! your weight loss is da bomb! How inspiring! Can you share some of your tips? lo carb is verrrry close to primal.
    WW works but you are obsessed with food, counting and tracking every single bite and you are chained to the treadmill. No way to live and those carbs and grains are still bad for you which is why I switched to primal.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I'm 45 so not quite 50 but I've had some really good changes lately...

1) If I keep my fat levels high (60-70%) my binge-eating tendancies seem to disappear
    2) I do have to keep my calories under 2000 to keep from gaining weight so, for me, calories do matter
    3) Lifing weights works better than running for body scuplting

I'm still struggling with finding good fat sources. Recently I've been exploring fattier proteins which is an eye-opener since I've only ever looked for lean protein sources.

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast