Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 9

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Ladies!

I turn 49 in June. I'm 5'4" tall and this January I weighed in at approx. 186 lbs, the heaviest I'd ever weighed. I had sciatica, constant rhinitis, and chronic acid reflux.

We started a biggest loser contest at work so I started with the conventional wisdom of 6 (or more) small meals/snacks and a little bit of exericse. By March I had dropped 10 lbs but the sciatica, rhinitis, and acid reflux were still there. I couldn't even drink a glass of water without feeling it.

On another forum I go to, a girl mentioned the Primal Blueprint, so off I went, and here I am! Since starting PB (80-90%) I'm down about another 12 lbs. On my home scale I weighed in at 164.8 this morning. I have to admit, I'm a scale watcher. But I don't let the little rises get to me. I know that things are heading in the right direction. Along with two pant sizes, the sciatica, most of the rhinitis (still the occasional runny nose or sneeze), and the acid reflux have gone . I think that creamed coconut gives me a bit of AR but it's sooo good, it's worth it

I do 20 min of exercise twice daily - walk/sprint with a set of 2 lb weights (do curls, lifts, etc.) at lunch time, ride my recumbent bike in the evening, and throw in wall pushups and other odds & ends of bodyweight stuff when I think of it.

My goal is to hit 50 in better shape than I've ever been in. Thing is, I can actually picture this happening. I love this WOE!
    Last edited by belinda; 05-03-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I have AR with Coconut oil. It might have something to do with my thyroid though.

I forgot to add that I have two daughters - the oldest is 29, the younger is 10. It's because of the 10 year old that I needed to truly get my shit together. For me to see her 50th birthday (or even to see her 40 and established in her own life) I need to live to 78 or 88 years old. There is longevity in my family but my dad, his sister, and my sister are all recently diagnosed diabetics. It's not in my lifeplan to end up taking meds every freaking day.

Barbara is offline Junior Member
    Hi. I just turned 60. I've been following the PB since January 15. I've lost over 26 pounds, and I have a long way to go! I had gotten really heavy (up to 215 at only 5'3") and I had no energy and was very depressed. But I'm off of all medication (was on antidepressants and statins) and I only eat and LOVE primal foods. I am trying to keep up with the moving slowly by walking every day, but I got plantar fasciitis, which kills my feet (and as it turns out, walking bare foot did make it worse), so I'm having to take it easy for a couple of weeks. I also use weights at the gym. Won't do my sprints until my feet are better.
    BUT long story short...I feel great and hopeful that I will be able to continue living this way for the rest of my life. After years and years of gaining weight, failing at diets, and feeling that I can never eat delicious foods again without feeling guilty, I'm loving putting delicious real butter on my veggies, eating the fat on lamb chops and other grass fed meats, eating as many organic eggs as I want, and being able to eat the skin and dark meat of chicken (yeah! No more skinless chicken breasts!!!)
    Anyhow, good luck and get in touch with me anytime!

Barbara

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I had plantar fasciitis pretty bad myself but slowly weaned myself into minimalist shoes and vibram five fingers and have not had a problem since. It takes quite awhile to strengthen your feet though. You need to do a lot of calf stretching and toe raise while barefoot. It is harder for us heavier gals to make the switch. I have always had back issues as well and they got a little worse when I first started the barefoot thing but eventually improved and I have healthy feet and no back problems any longer. That is amazing to me.

The theory is that those very "supportive" shoes make your feet weaker and weaker, kind of like a girdle would do for your torso if you wore one all the time. Our feet were designed to hold our bodies upright but the muscles in them need to be strengthened after wearing "normal shoes" for so long.

I have flat feet and pronate when I walk pretty badly. I feel like a kid sometime now when I go out for a walk in my vibrams. An amazing feeling. It does take quite awhile though. Do some more research and see what you think.

WildPlum is offline Junior Member
    I pounded the heck out of my feet (and knees and shoulders) playing tennis for a decade or so and as a result have a ton of foot, ankle and knee problems - have been trying a pair of the Merrell barefoot shoes, with limited success. Partly because this has been a MUCH colder and wetter winter and it's too damned cold to wear shoes without socks.

And, hi, all, just starting to cruise around the primal world, although I have reservations. 53 y/o, 5'10. Not at my highest weight, but back up above 200, alas. Appreciate an "over 50" (or close to) thread.

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Hi Wild Plum! Tennis is, in some ways, amazing for keeping you fit. My calves and thighs were SOLID while I was playing. But in other ways ... there's a lot of wear and tear. I can't play anymore, either, unless I want knee surgery. Kinda bums me out.

What are the reservations you have about the primal thing?

One thing I've noticed about this forum is that there are a lot of people who are just religious about adhering to the PB 100%. And at the same time there are people who color way outside the lines of the Blueprint to make it work for them. And even with the extremes it seems like everyone is very tolerant of one another's choices.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    OK, gals over 50 - question for ya'. I posted this in it's own thread and got no real answers. Did going Primal have any effect on your peri-menopause or menopause symptoms. Did you notice a change in hot flashes, vaginal dryness or any other of the joys of the change? I'm noticing a major resumption of the hot flashes and night sweats and vaginal dryness in the last month, despite remaining faithfully on my natural progesterone cream. I'm just finished a Whole 30 restriction with no dairy for 30 day. Maybe less environmental hormones without the dairy? I also introduced a lot of coconut products into my life where there were none previously. Maybe that's a factor? Any input?

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    OK, gals over 50 - question for ya'. I posted this in it's own thread and got no real answers. Did going Primal have any effect on your peri-menopause or menopause symptoms. Did you notice a change in hot flashes, vaginal dryness or any other of the joys of the change? I'm noticing a major resumption of the hot flashes and night sweats and vaginal dryness in the last month, despite remaining faithfully on my natural progesterone cream. I'm just finished a Whole 30 restriction with no dairy for 30 day. Maybe less environmental hormones without the dairy? I also introduced a lot of coconut products into my life where there were none previously. Maybe that's a factor? Any input?
    I had a short resumption of hot flashes, maybe a couple of weeks, ten it stopped.

I think I'm perimenopausal. Prior to going primal at the start of March, my previous two periods were horrendous. Two weeks in January, really heavy, a two week break, then four weeks in February, again really heavy.

I've had, I think, three periods since going primal but they have been about 5 days duration and normal flow. I haven't started with the hot flashes or dryness yet.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast