Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 8

entwyf is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Back in January, I posted here among the mature and womanly Primal types. At that time, I was a Primal noob, having started eating right and exercising right in November. At that point, I had lost about ten pounds. As of today, I am seventeen pounds down, not eating to satisfy purists (I like potatoes; I have cheats), not doing that much exercising.

Right now, my biggest issue is stress from work that leaves me exhausted at the end of the day, the kind of exhaustion that has me putting my head down on the dining room table for half an hour or more when I come home from work. I read a comment somewhere in one of the forums that someone found a lot of stress relief in exercise. I need some kind of stress relief to free up energy to exercise. A couple of weeks ago, I was getting up early every morning to ride an exercise bike, alternating fairly strenuous exercise with fairly gentle for ten to twenty minutes. That went well until work started to kick my butt.

Now I'm back to being tired when I wake up, tired when I get home from work. I'm managing to do well as far as eating goes. I just wonder what in the Primal lifestyle might really help with stress.

The fastest way I've ever known to relieve stress and tension at the end of a long day is a shot (or two) of good rum. Bam! Immediate mellowness. If I could find some Primal way to get that immediate kind of stress relief--or the nearest thing to it--I would be happy happy happy.

Any suggestions for doing the impossible?

Thanks,
    Edith

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Hi, gang! I'm 50, 5'6", somewhere around 140-145 lbs (I'm currently half way through Whole 30, so I haven't weighed in 2 weeks). I have a very fine frame, so my ideal weight (to get to 25% BF) is actually around 129-132 lbs. I have struggled to get below 150 for most of my adult life. I am in the throes of menopause, regular hot flashes, only 1 period in the last year, on bio-identical progesterone cream (a life-saver for hot flash symptoms!)

Three years ago, I discovered the Shangri La Diet and lost about 18 lbs, down to a range I had never managed to achieve before. I stayed in the 130's for over a year, then some of the weight came creeping back. I am a runner and was training for and running half-marathons in the spring and fall. Last spring, I injured my Achilles tendon, but kept running. It stayed mildly inflamed for months and months, never getting better. My weight crept upwards again as I trained for long races and let myself eat more than I should. Last fall, we travelled to Germany and Spain for 2 weeks, and by the time I returned from that trip, rolled right into Halloween and both my son's birthdays, I was topped out at 156 and not fitting into any of the clothes I had. I had actually gone out and bought "fat pants" for the trip!!

In November, I got my act together and started eating more Primal, but with the support of the Shangri La oil to help with appetite suppression. It was a great combo. Cutting out the bulk of the grains and sugars helped me to lose 10 lbs by Christmas, to 146. Much better, but a long way from my goal. Since Christmas, I have fluctuated between a lowest point of 143 and a highest point of 151. Now, with firm commitment to Primal eating and Whole 30 for April, I can tell that I'm losing weight and inches.

It's great to find this thread of "Masters" Grokettes! Wisdom and beauty come with age.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If I could find some Primal way to get that immediate kind of stress relief--or the nearest thing to it--I would be happy happy happy.
    Try EFT.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I'm 47 and have been paleo since Jan 4th 2011. It's made me feel so much better - so much more in control - I have much of my confidence back. I used to be one of those people who was hungry and hour after I ate and couldn't even go out to breakfast without eating first. Now I can IF with out any trouble and have lost 75 lbs in the past year - 50 since becoming paleo this year. I was also having lots of anxiety - probably due to high insulin levels (which also made me have hunger "emergencies"). I've had a very stressful Spring and feel that paleo has helped me deal with it without the help of drugs.

I lost weight last year after removing nightshades from my diet. I was in so much pain all the time I was mostly curled on the couch waiting to feel better - taking lots of Ibuprofen and needing narcotics to sleep. It was so bad I was wondering if I would see my 2 yr old sons 5th Birthday and highly doubted seeing him become a teenager. I went to the Dr. and asked about a diet for arthritis and he said there was none (and then gave me more narcotics). About a week later I was asked to research nightshades for my brother and decided to avoid them too. Within days I was pain free.

Based on my research about nightshades and lectins, I believe the paleo way of eating is essential to feel my best and now look forward to a long life.

Nanzi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I love this thread. We women of a "particular age" need to share more with each other. After all, our issues differ from younger people. I'm 67, I lost my husband of 48 years 3 years ago. I miss him so much but I still have a lot of living to do. I intend to do just that as soon as I get out of this wheelchair (broke my leg need to stay with my daughter and son-in-law till it heals). Let's keep this thread going!

I was thinking I was the oldest 50 + woman here, then I read your post, Rosemary231. So sorry you lost your best friend. Mine is still here and doing Primal eating with me, after 45 years of marriage. I will be 67 in June, was born on the original D-Day!!
    I had done Atkins about 10 years ago and had lost 30 lbs and let my Dr talk me out of Atkins, now 15 lbs heavier than when I started Atkins, I am back to serious low carbing, Phooey on the Dr, and shame on me for letting him rule.
    I started PB the first of April, and have lost 7 lbs since then. We have had a few non primal meals since then using up food that I refuse to throw away.
    I had a couple of reactions to some of it with grains at first, and wondered if I was gluten intolerant or grain intolerant. Toed the PB food line since then. I will give it a test after a month of compliance. I am probably 100% food compliant now. DH is not. He still has his full grain bread with breakfast, and occasionally a burger roll, but eats everything else I put before him.

In the almost 3 weeks I have noticed the following: I sleep better, I have more energy, I do not get up fog brained, my ears do not itch and flake half as much, the external yeast infections are almost gone, and the weight is down 7 lbs. That is a big deal for me as I had been steadily gaining a pound here and another there, and was almost scared skinny at where it might stop. Oh and I am drinking water like crazy, I want it in the mornings, beside my bedside and am trying to sub it instead of an alcoholic drink or 2 before dinner. Some days I am more successful than others.

I am not big on exercise, I have one replacement knee and the other is ready for replacement, but doesn't hurt nearly as bad as it did pre PB. And most of my other aches and pains are gone, gone, gone. I will start swimming laps when we get the pool open in another month or so, and will walk our 2 acres with our greyhound on paths DH made for us, as soon as the ground dries some. Kind of muddy mushy now.

I am awaiting the arrival of the PB cookbook in the next few days and have read the Primal Blueprint book cover to cover. I am trying to get our son to try this too. He is single and lives in Mannasses Va where there are many, many great ethnic restaurants, which he frequents. They are delicious, but definitely not Primal, tho I suspect he could find some of the meals that are closer than what he eats now. How I envy him his minimum of 3 days a week eating sushi. Sashimi would be a better choice.....I could eat it every other day, no problem. DH & I go get a pound or so of raw salmon and have a feast of it, salad, and a miso soup I make at home.

Looking for this to be the change I need for finishing my life in a healthy way. And lose about 100 lbs along the way.

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Hello!

So happy to have stumbled on this thread. I'm going to bookmark it and call it "home" as far as this site goes. It's nice to have one another to relate to sometimes.

I'm going to be fifty freakin' three in 28 days. Don't want to be wearing my same dang one pair of extra-fat fat jeans when it happens. Even if it means I am sporting a huge muffin top and it takes pliers to zip them up - I WILL be wearing something from my old jeans collection on my birthday. LOL

I do journal - here - mostly because it makes me accountable. I guess I should say that I'm lucky that my greatest obstacle is my own sloth and lack of self-discipline.

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    I am 44 does that count??? I feel over 50 some days.
    Gretchen in Wyoming
    Princess to the King
    Mom of 3
    Grandma of 1
    Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

Metta is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't have found this thread if I hadn't stumbled into the PrimalCon sub-forum looking for something else. I thought most of the posts here were about the event. I'm so happy for the accident. But I wonder if the thread would get more traffic if it were moved to another section?

sghulett - I remember those days when I was 44.

Edith - I still give myself the RITUAL of the after work cocktail. Rituals help. In the evening, I drink my bubbly water in my prettiest wine glass. It makes me feel good. Get a wine glass that you love with a big bowl and fill it up with Crystal Geyser sparkling mineral water and Live It Up.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Sghulett, I felt ancient and had many health issues around 44. Now, ten years later, things have greatly improved.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Hello All,
    I will be 59 in June 2011. Have dieted my entire life. Was hungry most of my life. I AM NOT HUNGRY ANYMORE!!! That is soooo amazing to me. I started eating this way in February of 2010. I lost 18-20lbs the first couple of months and all my bloodwork was greatly improved. My cholesterol went down 45 points. CRP is normal now yada yada yada.

The best part about this entire style of living (other than no hunger) is that I do not hurt all over any longer. I am still working on my energy due to hypothyroid/cortisol stuff but. I think that is why I have not lost anymore weight. Once the water was gone I have just been hanging on to that fat for dear life.
    I do have a journal here but am sporadic at my entries. Primal Journal - Classic | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 9

Great thread. Lets keep it going. I want to hear how all of you are doing as you progress or learn new things.

Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast