Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 75

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Whoa, that's interesting about the magnesium problem! I haven't had that one...we're all different, I guess!

Tart cherries or cherry juice seems to help as well, so I try to do that...

I may be nuts, but I keep hoping to either eliminate the pain without surgery. I DO try to avoid medications like NSAIDS, but don't always manage. Actually mine only really hurts when I walk too far (meh, a block!) or stand too long. If I can sit occasionally, I'm okay, so I take my little folding stool grocery shopping these days!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

I do use ice when I think of it, thanks for the reminder!
    Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    Kate, I understand wanting to avoid knee replacement as long as you can. Recovery is tough but after the first week or two the surgery pain was no worse than the arthritis pain. If the pain gets too bad and is impacting your life too much, don't hesitate. I think eating primally really helped with my recovery.

Another thing that was helpful prior to the surgery was icing my knees, both front and back, everyday. It was a bit painful when I did it but I could tell a difference when I did it. Good luck!

Valerie
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Aili is offline Senior Member

knee pain, for me, related to food I ingest

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    Had a giggle about the security! I do have that option, but I don't really want to go that way if I can possibly avoid it. I'm 70, though...
    I have found that grains and sugar cause inflammation, and when I avoid them, the inflammation goes away.

I've avoided grains and sugar for almost three years now, unfortunately (or, well, fortunately, really, but still have knee pain!)

Quote Originally Posted by Aili View Post
    I have found that grains and sugar cause inflammation, and when I avoid them, the inflammation goes away.
    Best--
    Kate

drheather is offline Senior Member
    Just 45 but in perimenopause. Working hard on being primal to minimize the symptoms. Hoping things settle down soon, generally feeling up and down with the hormone fluctuations.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    Yep, I've been using turmeric for a year or two. I think it helps...not sure how MUCH, but I think it does!
    Best--
    Kate

dancermom09 is offline Member
    I think the joints get to a point where there's just nothing there as far as ligaments or cartilage that can be helped. I'm 60 now, and can really see that happening. With all the skiing, racquetball, dancing I did when I was younger it's amazing I'm not worse off. But yes, when the joint pain is from inflammation, diet really helps.

I got gluten'd yesterday. Our local Whole Foods has a new taco/burrito bar. Kind of a Chipotle thing. Tacos were only $2 each, and I decided to have a small organic corn tortilla with mine. It was delicious. But later I had heartburn, blew up like I was 6 months pregnant, and extra hip pain. Decided they must have one grill spot for both kinds of tortillas, even thought I asked if it was gluten free. SO not worth it!

Oooh sorry about the gluten! I avoid it if at ALL possible, but sounds like it wasn't...

I believe pain can be managed, whatever the cause...I'm working on it!

My favorite therapist suggested adding a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water or other liquid to get the alkalinizing effect. This is day three, so i can't tell much yet, but I'm willing to try!

And Reiki today!
    Best--
    Kate

Learn More
    I've been doing PT for a couple of months now for my arthritic knees, and recently added an online class on Reiki, looking to find an in-person one. But most days, I have measurably less pain...this is GOOD.

Had the Reiki treatment yesterday...that was NICE.
    Last edited by Kate Ruckman; 08-21-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Best--
    Kate

Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast