Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 75

Rhoda Jayne is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    Kate, I understand wanting to avoid knee replacement as long as you can. Recovery is tough but after the first week or two the surgery pain was no worse than the arthritis pain. If the pain gets too bad and is impacting your life too much, don't hesitate. I think eating primally really helped with my recovery.

Another thing that was helpful prior to the surgery was icing my knees, both front and back, everyday. It was a bit painful when I did it but I could tell a difference when I did it. Good luck!

Valerie
    I have arthritis on my right knee and that's one of the main reasons that I wanted to go Primal/Paleo. Icing does sound painful but I will try that. Did you also use heat?
    thanks, Rhoda

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoda Jayne View Post
    I have arthritis on my right knee and that's one of the main reasons that I wanted to go Primal/Paleo. Icing does sound painful but I will try that. Did you also use heat?
    thanks, Rhoda
    I would soak in the tub with Epsom salts sometimes but my physical therapist recommended against heat. He said it could add to the inflammation in the knee. It did help with the muscle soreness I would get elsewhere because I was altering my gait to try to ease the knee pain. Following activity or exercise, I always iced. I used to keep four bags of a mixture of 1/3 rubbing alcohol and 2/3 water in the freezer. It is a little more slushy and conforms to the contours of the knee. One on front and one on back.
    They make a wrap that you can fill with ice water too.

Great discussion! I've never been diagnosed with arthritis, but I've had joint pain since I was a teenager. It's always worse when I don't get enough sleep and it took me years to figure out it was worse if I've had caffeine. I'm frustrated that going Primal (since Oct. 2012) hasn't made it go away which I was hoping it would. I'm going to have to do some research on D3 and bone broth. I tried a magnesium supplement with horrible results. It acted as a diuretic and after two full days of taking it I woke up one night with kidney pain that was relieved when I went to the bathroom. I threw away my magnesium the next day!

Thanks for letting me listen in!
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Whoa, that's interesting about the magnesium problem! I haven't had that one...we're all different, I guess!

Tart cherries or cherry juice seems to help as well, so I try to do that...

I may be nuts, but I keep hoping to either eliminate the pain without surgery. I DO try to avoid medications like NSAIDS, but don't always manage. Actually mine only really hurts when I walk too far (meh, a block!) or stand too long. If I can sit occasionally, I'm okay, so I take my little folding stool grocery shopping these days!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

I do use ice when I think of it, thanks for the reminder!
    Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    Kate, I understand wanting to avoid knee replacement as long as you can. Recovery is tough but after the first week or two the surgery pain was no worse than the arthritis pain. If the pain gets too bad and is impacting your life too much, don't hesitate. I think eating primally really helped with my recovery.

Another thing that was helpful prior to the surgery was icing my knees, both front and back, everyday. It was a bit painful when I did it but I could tell a difference when I did it. Good luck!

Valerie
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Aili is offline Senior Member

knee pain, for me, related to food I ingest

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    Had a giggle about the security! I do have that option, but I don't really want to go that way if I can possibly avoid it. I'm 70, though...
    I have found that grains and sugar cause inflammation, and when I avoid them, the inflammation goes away.

I've avoided grains and sugar for almost three years now, unfortunately (or, well, fortunately, really, but still have knee pain!)

Quote Originally Posted by Aili View Post
    I have found that grains and sugar cause inflammation, and when I avoid them, the inflammation goes away.
    Best--
    Kate

drheather is offline Senior Member
    Just 45 but in perimenopause. Working hard on being primal to minimize the symptoms. Hoping things settle down soon, generally feeling up and down with the hormone fluctuations.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    Yep, I've been using turmeric for a year or two. I think it helps...not sure how MUCH, but I think it does!
    Best--
    Kate

Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast