Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 74

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    That's great Alaska! I wish my sis who lives in your neck of the woods would get on board with primal, she has so many health problems I know she would get some benefit, but alas my success with it for the last 3 yrs. hasn't swayed her.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Alaskarunner2002 is offline Junior Member
    Yeah I have found when I talk about health and what has worked for myself and hubby nobody wants to hear about cutting sugar and processed food out!

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Hi all..it's been a while since I posted, but I'm plugging along as primally as possible! I even started a new group on Facebook, mostly to offer a support group for friends who are primal--but we've grown nicely! ("Paleo/Primal on Facebook" I'd give you the link but my computer's hosed and I can't open FB right now...)

ANYway, a lot going on with me...still trying to avoid knee surgery, so went for OrthoVisc shots in both knees (meh! Exspensive but not a great result), and have been having PT since late June. Sometimes good, sometimes not so great.

Planning on branching out to Reiki and acupuncture, has anyone tried those for osteoarthritis? I have very little cartilage in my knees, and a few bone spurs to boot. I REALLY prefer to deal with this as naturally as possible.

I take fish oil, turmeric, and nibble dried cherries...mainly would like to be a little more active and have LESS PAIN!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    Hi all..it's been a while since I posted, but I'm plugging along as primally as possible! I even started a new group on Facebook, mostly to offer a support group for friends who are primal--but we've grown nicely! ("Paleo/Primal on Facebook" I'd give you the link but my computer's hosed and I can't open FB right now...)

ANYway, a lot going on with me...still trying to avoid knee surgery, so went for OrthoVisc shots in both knees (meh! Exspensive but not a great result), and have been having PT since late June. Sometimes good, sometimes not so great.

Planning on branching out to Reiki and acupuncture, has anyone tried those for osteoarthritis? I have very little cartilage in my knees, and a few bone spurs to boot. I REALLY prefer to deal with this as naturally as possible.

I take fish oil, turmeric, and nibble dried cherries...mainly would like to be a little more active and have LESS PAIN!
    Kate, how is your D3 blood level? I keep mine at 80 ng/ml for my asthma (all gone!) and now my knee pain is gone, too. I also take 500 mg krill oil and Magnesium.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Kate, how is your D3 blood level? I keep mine at 80 ng/ml for my asthma (all gone!) and now my knee pain is gone, too. I also take 500 mg krill oil and Magnesium.
    I don't know, Dragonfly, I need to check the D3 level. I DO take Vitamin D and Magnesium though...forgot to mention!
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    I had acupuncture for the severe arthritis in my knees. It helped for a few days but the pain came back slowly. Because I was in my late thirties at the time, we were trying to wait until I was at least 40 to do a double replacement. Exercise along with NSAIDs helped more than all my various injections. I bought an elliptical trainer and did water aerobics in addition to pt. The knee replacements changed my life and I wish I could have had
    them sooner. If you have that option, I would recommend it. I have no pain now and full range of motion. Going through security at courthouses and airports is the biggest draw back.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    D3 really rocks for inflammatory conditions. Oh, and bone broth is essential. I drink some almost daily.

Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    I had acupuncture for the severe arthritis in my knees. It helped for a few days but the pain came back slowly. Because I was in my late thirties at the time, we were trying to wait until I was at least 40 to do a double replacement. Exercise along with NSAIDs helped more than all my various injections. I bought an elliptical trainer and did water aerobics in addition to pt. The knee replacements changed my life and I wish I could have had
    them sooner. If you have that option, I would recommend it. I have no pain now and full range of motion. Going through security at courthouses and airports is the biggest draw back.
    Had a giggle about the security! I do have that option, but I don't really want to go that way if I can possibly avoid it. I'm 70, though...
    Best--
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    D3 really rocks for inflammatory conditions. Oh, and bone broth is essential. I drink some almost daily.
    I need to go have some bone broth! 2 jars in the fridge and I forget to drink it! Thx...
    Best--
    Kate

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Kate, I understand wanting to avoid knee replacement as long as you can. Recovery is tough but after the first week or two the surgery pain was no worse than the arthritis pain. If the pain gets too bad and is impacting your life too much, don't hesitate. I think eating primally really helped with my recovery.

Another thing that was helpful prior to the surgery was icing my knees, both front and back, everyday. It was a bit painful when I did it but I could tell a difference when I did it. Good luck!

Valerie