Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 73

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Dragonfly, thanks, I will take a look at that.

Urban Forager, my thyroid was tested fairly recently.At that time I was low in D and had to take mega doses. Am now on a maintenance level, but probably should get re-tested to make sure I'm actually in the normal range.

Would I ask my GP for hormone testing? I don't really know much about this area though I have learned some about how the hormonal shifts at this stage of life can affect women.

MarieD is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent girl View Post
    Would like to hear about the hormone balancing...how did you discover they were out of whack, how do they know what and how much you need to take, and is there some point at which you quit taking them?

I knew the were out of whack since I was having hot flashes and feeling pretty rotten. I could not lose weight - I would lose a little and then gain it back - I felt like the fat was glued to my thighs and butt. I've always exercised - fairly irregularly though, plus had a long commute and sedentary desk job (I'm a financial analyst).

Your weight loss is very heartening! Did you exercise much?

Exercise did not seem to play a major role in my weight loss. I started exercising more consistently and noticed I would lose more during the weeks I exercised 2-3x, but I was losing consistently most weeks - not rapidly, but 1-3 lbs a week.

I eat pretty decently--good foods, almost nothing processed, and pretty low carb. I'm not losing weight though, so I think I have to become more strict about what I eat, and maybe measure for a while.

I started weighing and measuring and it was key for me. As I said I joined WW, just because I like using the point system for tracking - but I stayed in ketosis most of the time. Unfortunately I have to restrict my portions in order to lose weight, even when eating clean and low carb - I'm not one of the lucky ones. I especially needed to cut back my protein portions - I have a big appetite and love all forms of protein, particularly beef. I upped my non starchy veggies so I was eating the, with every meal. Drank my water. No sugar, no starch, no alcohol. But until the hormones kicked in, I couldn't produce results. My doctor started me on a little testosterone in late summer 2012 and that seemed to help me re-shape my pear-shaped (estrogen dominant) body. Once the weight started coming off I was heartened and couldn't believe it to be honest. I have gone from a size 14-16 pants to size 8 now. I started tracking my food in August, 2012, so about 10 months ago. I'm still tracking my food and I weigh myself 1X / week.

What else have you gals done that's made a good difference in getting excess weight off?
    Good luck - I hope my experience helps you - believe me it I can do it anyone can do it.

MarieD is offline Junior Member
    Sorry, my answers are embedded in the quote above!

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I'm approaching 50 (turned 48 in April), and have been in the midst of perimenopause for about 7 years. Cystic acne on chin/hairline (age 41), increase in anxiety/rapid heart rate (42-44), downy hair growth on cheeks/chin (46-now), fat gain around middle (46-now), inability to stay asleep (47-now), etc.

I started getting hot flashes earlier this year. In March 2013 they were coming up to 24 a day! Right before the wave of heat I would get very alert which made for some poor sleepless nights. Not sweaty, just a heat wave.

I removed all sugar (even most fruit sugar) for 60 days at the end of April. Within a week, my flashes were reduced by half. Within 3 weeks, they were gone. I actually did a Whole30 program, so I also removed dairy and gluten. I had been gluten free off and on for many years so I don't think it was gluten. I guess it could be dairy, but I suspect sugar.

I'm trying to stay sugar free now. I am able to eat some raisins and I am hoping to add raw honey for cooking. I actually did eat some cookies today and did not get a hot flash, which was a very different story from the 4 times I cheated on the Whole30 with sugar (well, it was Whole60; cheated 4 times in 60 days and got hot flashes 3 of the times within an hour).

My weight has stayed within 5lbs for the past 25 years, but it has shifted. I have a small belly now where I used to be quite flat. My thighs and butt are bigger. Not sure how that all happens when I really weigh the same that I did a few years ago when all was flatter/tighter!

I am struggling to find a way to exercise well, since I developed a pelvic organ prolapse in November 2012 which has sidelined me (permanently?) from my cross-fit/heavy lifting days. Honestly, that level of fitness was partly to blame for my current condition. I also have slight scoliosis so my alignment is not normal for running/lifting/jumping, etc. Hoping to get my upper body developed again. Six months and I'm soft! Feminine, but I miss the muscles!

I'm rambling. I may have posted here earlier. I cannot remember. Oh, and my mental clarity has SKYROCKETED since going sugar free. I highly recommend it for anyone struggling with hot flashes, brain fog and low level depression. 30 days should be enough of an experiment to see if it is for you. Removing all sugar is tough (brown sugar in bacon, fruits, dried fruits, honey, stevia; all of it).

My skin looks amazing, too.

~Pam

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew649 View Post
    I'm 47 on my way to 48, will that do?
    too young, too masculine to be a gal over 50 but what the hell
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    It's really helpful reading the range of experiences--thank you to all who have (and will) contribute!

I used birth control pills until 50 1/2. All my life I've tended to overheat easily, so I don't really know if I was experiencing any mild hot flashes.

In the past 12+ months without BC pills, I haven't had a period or any bleeding. So I guess I'm post-m. And not losing much weight--I figure I have at least 50 pounds to shed.

I need to really get that going, so hearing others' experiences and ideas is most helpful.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    I'm 47 on my way to 48 too but I'm definitely female. So I'm gonna try and sneak in... I hope I can read this whole thing!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

dancermom09 is offline Member
    Just found this thread yesterday though I've been on MDA for a while. I read about the first 20 pages or so, then skipped to the late 2012 posts. Glad it's still going!

I turned 60 in May, have been mostly Primal for about 18 months. A couple of years before that, I had lost about 35 pounds on a low carb diet (still gone, but could lose 20 more). That was inspired by discovering that I qualified to be a Type 2 diabetic. I have also been diagnosed with Sjogren's, chemical sensitivities, and had a bout with breast cancer in 2012. I had a right side mastectomy with no radiation or chemo, and declined to take aromatase inhibitors.

You would think me to be extra motivated to stick to the plan, but not so much lately. Too frequent intake of GF goodies, even the occasional pizza. A bit too much good wine. And I recently discovered that Costco has bags of organic popcorn cooked in coconut oil. Oh my.

Anyway, some signs of inflammatory problems are creeping back in. Primarily joint pain, mostly in the hips. So I'm going to hang with you ladies and see if I can get back on the program!

Aili is offline Senior Member
    I'll be 62 in a few weeks, and have a story that may help you dancermom09. 22 years I wanted to quit smoking and happened to read a book about compulsive behaviours, by Janine Roth. In it she talks about how her compulsion to overeat led her to realize how critically she was hurting herself. So, she learned to ask herself "What is it about right now that makes me want to do something I know is hurting me?" I learned to ask this about smoking. One day a few months later (June 4, 1991), I was sitting on a lumber pile, decided I did not wish to smoke, butted out and have not craved a cigarette since. It is the same for me with grains for the last 2 years. Writing this I am reminded to not even have a little local honey for a sweetener, as I did yesterday. I function best with no sweeteners, perhaps a bit of Xylitol a few times per year. My journey is not over and I continue to learn about what works for my body, or not.
    It sounds like you have ready access to foodstuffs from large stores. Maybe I would be more tempted if I were too. We have what most folks in the paleo/primal world would consider the ideal circumstances for local, pastured meats, dairy, fresh water fish, active outdoor life, gardens and networks of people. Also, we live 30 minutes from the nearest stores and 1.5 hours to the nearest Costco I have not one excuse for still packing 25 extra pounds, but there you go....
    I am amazed by your resilience and happy for your successes, including dumping the cancer. I think women our age are at vantage points, in our lives, that provide all sorts of opportunities. We need to 'seize the day'.

Alaskarunner2002 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just turned 48 and started paleo lifestyle 3 months ago, my hubby thought it would help with my digestive problems....it has been a god send and I've went from 155 to 138 with simply eating clean and still doing my weights and hiking...no more stomach aches, bloating, etc

Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast