Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 71

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Hi Joanie, Finally someone is acknowledging my misery! One of the symptoms of Hashimoto's is depression and I tell you I wasn't depressed until I started this diet.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Hi Joanie, Finally someone is acknowledging my misery! One of the symptoms of Hashimoto's is depression and I tell you I wasn't depressed until I started this diet.
    I quit smoking way back when, and my friends were totally supportive of my blues, moods, etc. When I was finally feeling human again, I tried to quit coffee. About a week in, one of those same friends basically said, "You've become a bitch; have a cup of coffee." I didn't need any arm twisting. I sucked down a double latte like I'd been in the desert for a year. LOL

Those are a lot of exclusions, Forager - you truly have my sympathy.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Thank you Joanie. My husband is like your friends, he asked me is it worth it? I've heard it is. I could really use some support and guidance from someone who's done this before. I feel like there's nothing I can eat and I've lost my inspiration to cook for my family, which is a big deal for me since cooking and preparing food was pretty much my raison d'etre.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Wow, Forager that is really restrictive. How long have you been doing this and do you feel better yet? I don't think I could eliminate all that at once. I might try eliminating a couple at a time maybe. I do think if the cure is worse than the illness it might not be worth it.
    I have been feeling a little better since taking Armour (1 grain per day) but not great by any standard.

Paleobird, Thanks for the links it certainly will save time in searching. I am so inept at the searching thing. I will look at them over the next couple of days.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Urban forager, I'm really curious about Hashimoto's. Is there any known reason its so prevalent in the USA?
    It sounds a rotten illness to have
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Here's the most informative site I've found on Hashimoto's, the link talks about the causes:
    Primary Cause of Hashimotos | HopeForHashimotos

As far as feeling "better" on the diet goes it's hard to tell, because I caught a cold last week and my sinus is really blocked which is interfering with my sleep, resulting in my being tired all day. I've been on the diet for 11 days now. The other thing is that I wasn't feeling any acute symptoms, mine are low grade and chronic: feeling cold, very dry skin, thinning hair, puffy eyes, low libido, low energy, belly fat. These are the kind of symptoms that will be slow to change. Many with Hashi's are constipated, I'm not, I think that may be due to the fact that I take magnesium daily.

This weekend I'm going out of town with 2 friends so it may be difficult to stay on the diet. I'll just have to do the best I can.

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Count me in the over 50 group. Nice to have some company!

@UrbanForager - great link to info on Hashimoto's. Wishing you the best of luck on this restrictive diet while you resolve the problem. Hope that you're able to find healthy foods that makes you feel wonderful while on your trip.

While I'm fortunate in that I don't seem to have it, it seems like a preventable condition. I realized a few days ago that the sea salt I'd switched to doesn't have any iodine in it, so I'll find one that does. It would also seem to lend credence to regularly taking minute doses of vitamins and minerals rather than taking mega doses as they seem to be counter productive.

I'll be 50 in 6 1/2 months. Can I play?

Interesting reading about Hashimoto's. I was diagnosed about 14 years ago. I don't know what I'd eat if I had to follow that restrictive diet!!! Yikes! I don't drink caffeine anymore. Does anyone else's body ache if they drink caffeine? I had body aches for YEARS (started about the time I started drinking coffee in high school--go figure!) and discovered about 10 years ago that it was caused by caffeine. But the other thing I experience is general lethargy, so on some days I DO drink caffeine and put up with the aches because I don't have any get up and go. I can remember specifically about three times in my adult life that I felt physically completely well and energetic. One was while I was a student in Japan. Makes me wonder what I was doing differently (diet was certainly different). I recently made a post titled "Where's the energy?" asking why I didn't seem to have the energy surge other people have when going primal. I'm assuming it's sleep related, but I think I'd have to sleep 10 hours a night, something that isn't possible.

I'll shut up now. Looking forward to getting to know you amazing Primal women!!!
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Hi Ann of the Jungle! The room seems to be filling with great primal women. Passing over a few virtual Primal Truffles.

Caffeine doesn't seem to give me any aches and pains, luckily those went away with the grains. Caffeine from any form other than chocolate does give me breast cysts, so I drink only uncaffeinated products and have been cyst free for about 10 years.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, lots of new folks. Nice of you all to join us.
    Forager, that Hashimotos site you shared is very informative. Thanks. I am not done with the videos yet but have learned a lot.

Ann & Patti, I drink a lot less coffee than I used to, but mainly because I find it makes me tired shortly after drinking it. I feel like I want to have a nap shortly after a cup. I do so love the taste though, especially with rich, whole cream. Half and half seems watery now that I have been using whole cream for so long.
    I haven't noticed any more aches than usual from coffee. Grains and PUFA's are my main inflammation triggers.

Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast