Page 70 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 70

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Paleobird and Dragonfly. Glad to see a couple new oldsters. I would like to say that 50 is the new 30 but that would not be true. I was in the best shape of my life in my 30's and would give anything to feel half that good, now in my 60's.

I have been struggling to get my thyroid and adrenal issues solved but it is a slow go here.
    My next step is to get checked for Hashimotos. Since moving to the island I have to find a new Doc so that has been a challenge. Just heard word that a new Doc has set up shop in our little town so I need to make an appt..

Paleobird, I seem to remember you were trying, a mostly, no carb thing awhile back. How have you been feeling on that? Sorry if you have been talking about it in other threads but I have been too busy working on the house lately to spend time reading here.
    This is the only thread I have tagged to notify me when new posts are entered.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Yay! Me too, if you count 50 and 4 months...
    Edit- read my response and realized I did not respond to the poster! Dragonfly, you can play with the grown-ups.

Paleobird, thanks for reactivating this thread. Although I don't have much to say at the moment, I sure enjoy hearing others' voices.
    Last edited by Aili; 05-28-2013 at 03:57 PM.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I'm a qualifier for this club and will hereby reserve myself a place. I wish I'd found this last year- it would have felt good to be under-age again and sneak in
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Classic if you have hypothyroid I suggest getting tested for Hashimoto's the sooner the better as 90% of people with hypothyroid have Hashi's. The tests you need are: Thyroglobulin Antibody and Thyroid Peroxidase. My doctor noticed that I was hypothyroid almost a year ago and said it wasn't that big of a deal and that we should wait and test my TSH in 9 months. I don't know why I listened to her, she never asked if I had any symptoms, which I did. In addition the reference range the lab used is not currently the norm. I went on my merry way and continued eating low carb, supplementing with iodine (slowly increasing) and started using progesterone cream to treat excessive bleeding, (these things are like adding fuel to the fire for Hashi's). When I got my TSH checked it had shot up to 3 times what it was 9 months earlier. Even at that point she was still slow to order the other 2 tests to see if I had Hashimoto's.

So now I'm on Levothyroxine, doing the paleo autoimmune protocol and looking for a doctor that has experience treating
    Hashimoto's.

Thanks UF. I could not remember the names of the tests so it was nice of you to remind me. When I read the symptoms of Hashi's I had nearly all of them so it is a good bet something is going on here. My last blood tests showed a huge increase in all the inflammatory markers which scared the peeps out of me. My cholesterol was also up quite a bit from last year. Since I have been eating primal for about 2.5 years I found it really strange that my cholesterol and inflammation would suddenly increase so dramatically. I do appreciate the feedback. I will get an appt. set up this week.2.

Is there a different eating lifestyle for autoimmune than just being strictly primal?

This past year I have had congestion both in my head and chest. I have never had allergies but at first thought it might be a new reaction to pollen or something since it started around last Spring. It has been so persistent this past year that I even had a hard time singing harmony on Christmas Carols this past season since I cannot hear clearly. My ears are always clogged up. I have to clear my ears often like when you are on an airplane or descending a mountain. It makes me crazy.

Has anyone else had something like this or know what it could be? Could it be related to Hashi's even though it was not one of the symptoms I read about?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I just found this great new blog and am back to high fat, vlc, moderate protein. Here's the link:
    LIFEXTENSION: What I Eat; Fat ≠ Fat
    I did vlc way back when I was 6 months into Primal, but I think I set myself up for failure, since I was also calorie restricting. I just felt too tired.
    This time, I am feeling terrific! Plenty of energy, dropping that yucky bloat and my mind is clearer.
    Perhaps dropping from about 70 g carbs to 40 g was easier, too.
    That's a great blog. Thanks for the link. I'm glad it's working for you. Yes, IME, if you are going to do it at all, you are better off really going for it all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Welcome Paleobird and Dragonfly. Glad to see a couple new oldsters.

Paleobird, I seem to remember you were trying, a mostly, no carb thing awhile back. How have you been feeling on that? Sorry if you have been talking about it in other threads but I have been too busy working on the house lately to spend time reading here.
    This is the only thread I have tagged to notify me when new posts are entered.
    Thanks, Classic. Yes, I am mainly carnivorous these days with veggie as condiments, decorations, etc.

all the details here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76160.html

It's working really well. I really think that too many veggies just take up space on the plate.

The article here :http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread86435.html
    might be of some help regarding your thyroid issues.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Is there a different eating lifestyle for autoimmune than just being strictly primal?[/QUOTE]

I don't know re autoimmune eating that is different, but I was reading the stuff re Hashimoto's. I doesn't all apply to me but I feel real tired during the day. I sleep well, wake up early feeling fine, and then slide into a funk that makes it hard to get my work done. It is horrible!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Thanks UF. I could not remember the names of the tests so it was nice of you to remind me. When I read the symptoms of Hashi's I had nearly all of them so it is a good bet something is going on here. My last blood tests showed a huge increase in all the inflammatory markers which scared the peeps out of me. My cholesterol was also up quite a bit from last year. Since I have been eating primal for about 2.5 years I found it really strange that my cholesterol and inflammation would suddenly increase so dramatically. I do appreciate the feedback. I will get an appt. set up this week.2.

Is there a different eating lifestyle for autoimmune than just being strictly primal?
    Hypothyroid can affect cholesterol levels.

The autoimmune paleo protocol is much more restrictive. In addition to strict paleo, you avoid the following:

Eggs (especially the whites)
    Nuts
    Seeds (including cocoa, coffee and seed-based spices)
    Nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, sweet and hot peppers, cayenne, red pepper, tomatillos, goji berries etc. and spices derived from peppers, including paprika)
    Potential Gluten Cross-Reactive Foods
    Fructose consumption in excess of 20g per day
    Alcohol
    NSAIDS (like aspirin or ibuprofen)
    Non-nutritive sweeteners (yes, all of them, even stevia)
    Emulsifiers, thickeners, and other food additives

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No coffee or alcohol???? OMG, surely this will make you more ill.

And I'm way old enough, though sometimes (sometimes = often), I don't act it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 70 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast