Page 7 of 76 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 7

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by HBarrett View Post
    Latecomer to thread -- 63 yrs. old, primal since July. All went well (inches lost, if not too many pounds) till October when my body dried out and I got the first yeast and urinary tract infections I'd had in decades. It seems I'd gone too low in carbs. Tweaked PB with a few more safe starches and felt better. Gained 5 lbs. and am now testing a few ideas:

1) Even the sugar in coffee or lemonade is too much.
    2) I can't eat all the fat I want -- above a certain point, calories count. In fact, I need to watch food portions even of PB foods.
    3) Am resuming a pilates class along with tai chi practice -- my aging metabolism is so slow I need to move as much as I can.

I liked what you guys wrote about expectations. Having gone through a learning curve, I'm now just thrilled with any improvement and the whole process is much more fun.

Holly
    Holly, what you wrote about getting your first urinary and yeast infections in decades...from my research this is often related to a drop in systemic estradiol, and your estradiol level could have been impacted by your weight loss. Estrone is produced in fat cells and the body can convert estrone and estradiol back and forth. So if you empty out a significant % of your fat cells, your estrone factories are shut down in those cells, which lowers the effective amount of estradiol in your system. Low estradiol is associated with urinary tract infections and yeast infections. The other major cause of those two conditions in undiagnosed Diabetes or pre-diabetes (per Elizabeth Vliet, MD.) Just thought I would throw that out there.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janagram View Post
    wow, that is amazing about the teeth. I hope I stop grinding!!
    I hope you do too, Jana! I had ground my teeth for years and years . . . my dentist said if we didn't do something, he'd end up capping every tooth in my head! Lots of damage because of it, and frequent cavities. He fitted me with a mouth guard, and while maybe it protected what tooth enamel I had left, there were unintended consequences of creating fine lines around my mouth, and rearranging the spacing of my teeth, not in a good way. I had also developed a nasty thing (probably from trying to unconsciously get rid of that thing between my teeth while I was asleep so I could grind) of not being able to unlock my jaw in the morning for a half an hour or so.

I don't wear the mouthguard anymore, and I haven't had the jaw locking problem. If I've eaten grain for a few days, as when we've been travelling or something, it sometimes feels like I've been grinding in the night.

I've told this story to my dentist, but I don't think he's convinced. Just think of all the money and time and tooth enamel that could be saved if people knew this.

"Lady silver-backs," LOL! I love it!

Possibilites for office exercise:

Get standup desk.
    Sit on big exercise ball and move around on it instead of sitting in comfy chair.
    Bicep curls with heavy stapler or other weighty object.
    Get into the stairwell and go up and down during coffee break or if you're going between floors.
    Wall pushups anywhere.

Would they let you install a chin-up bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    During those months I completely stopped all strength training and sprints. I figured there was no point in adding physical stress to my body when it was already overly challenged by mental and emotional stress.
    I really needed to hear this. Thank you, Barb! I was a competitive athlete when I was young, and some part of me still thinks I can be that physical . . . but it's different now. It takes longer to recover from even pretty mild workouts. I'm doing Mark's fitness program, and thinking maybe I can't do the weekly rotation. I might need to spread it over 10 days, or maybe I could just cut back on reps? I would like to be able to do a pull up some day, am working toward it, but I might just be stressing myself out thinking I HAVE to be able to do one.

The big PB challenge for me now is the stress management. I'm wondering whether having "fitness goals" or "weightloss goals" might actually be doing more harm than good?

Anyway, thanks, Barb. That seems very simple: if your body says "no," take a break from the goals.

Dabblertante is offline Junior Member

Shrinking skin

Thanks Inquisitiveone, I use coconut oil inside and out regularly so maybe my rolls and flaps will recede! Have been pushing the greens. Also find a small amoun of dried fruit helps (think prunes but I have been using dried cherries)

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitiveone View Post
    I'll be 50 this fall, and am postmenopausal since 43 or so. I'm only one month in to my primal adventure, and I think I may still be consuming too much fruit and dairy, but I'm seeing positive results. Best of all, I'm feeling good about the changes I'm making in my life.

@Dabblertante: welcome! My understanding is that skin can shrink. Factors influencing whether it will (and by how much) include genetics, how quickly one loses weight, and how well one cares for one's skin. I've read that coconut oil can help rejuvenate skin, and keep it supple, which should help it bounce back as one loses weight. Regarding the bowel issue, sometimes a significant change in one's diet is enough to trigger constipation. Maybe drinking more water will help with it; eating vegetables—especially leafy greens—will help offset the absence of beans and oatmeal.

HBarrett is offline Member
    Holly, what you wrote about getting your first urinary and yeast infections in decades...from my research this is often related to a drop in systemic estradiol, and your estradiol level could have been impacted by your weight loss. Estrone is produced in fat cells and the body can convert estrone and estradiol back and forth.

Thanks, Canarygirl! My doctor has prescribed estradiol cream for me but I am not always conscientious about using it -- I'll be mindful now!

meatme is offline Junior Member

New to PB but amazed already

I'm 65 and only discovered PB a week ago. Just reading the book I knew this was for me because I have an "anthropomorphic" body, love meat, love fat, and felt so relieved that I didn't have to be perfect! I had been about 97% on for about 3 days when I woke up in the middle of the night feeling rather "funny". I discovered that my blood sugars were very low. I am on a lot of diabetic medicine and thought that I would have to lose a lot of weight in order to get off them. Not true. I am so encouraged that I will be able to get off all medicine, and I actually enjoy eating with out guilt - probably for the first time in 55 years. This alone is why I stay primal with great ease. I hope to loose some weight, but already I have experienced many benefits of primal living and can see many more on the horizon. Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories. They are encouraging.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    I love this thread. We women of a "particular age" need to share more with each other. After all, our issues differ from younger people. I'm 67, I lost my husband of 48 years 3 years ago. I miss him so much but I still have a lot of living to do. I intend to do just that as soon as I get out of this wheelchair (broke my leg need to stay with my daughter and son-in-law till it heals). Let's keep this thread going!

Sweetpea is offline Junior Member

Cool Trying again!

Hey y'all!! I love this thread - it is so motivating! Anyway, I am 51 and just went PB exactly one week ago. I have lost 5 lbs so far and I am very motivated to go the distance.

As far as my background, I did Atkins about 9 years ago and it worked extremely well for me until I remarried 5 years ago. I went off LC while trying to cook and eat with my DH. He is a marathoner so carb loading is the norm at our house. So in 5 years I have added back about 30 lbs. While I knew that I needed to go LC again, I didn't like the thought of giving up my fruits and vegetables. Then I read Gary Taubes book which lead me to Mark's Daily Apple. The PB is exactly what I was looking to find.

My goals include better health, shed those 30 lbs, and to get my groove back! I don't feel 51 so why should I look like it???

Honeybear is offline Member
    I'm 52...I blog at pinesiskin. About my struggles with overeating...which I am hoping will soon turn into a journal of primal triumph! Would love to see you there and hear your comments.

Page 7 of 76 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast