Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 68

LindaW is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    LindaW,
    That same recipe, all put together then mashed, in the food processor makes a great mashed potato like side dish as well.
    I might add that I am one of those that does a bit better with spuds once in awhile. I did that VLC carb thing for awhile but started feeling tired again until adding some starch occasionally. It seems that a lot of us older gals do a bit better with a few more carbs. I was doing around 50 carbs per day but got too tired after an initial energy boost. I do better with at least 75 to 100.
    I don't count any longer though since establishing this. I just go by how I feel.
    That's how I get when I go to very low carb, just tired and don't feel that great. I do best in the 75 to 100 as well.

dreadlockmama is offline Junior Member
    Hello ladies!

I am 54 and just started my primal lifestyle three days ago. I am keeping a journal on this site: Dreadlockmama's Primal Journey.

Looking forward to making friends here

Dreadlockmama

Classic is offline Senior Member
    dreadlockmama,
    Welcome. We older gals seem to have some specific issues that a lot of the younger crowd don't have (and hopefully never will have if staying with Primal eating).
    I think eating SAD really contributes to messing with our hormone balance so after years of yoyo dieting (in some of our cases) and poor nutrition from SAD we take some time to heal.
    I look forward to hearing your progress.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Hi everyone. I've been reading, trying to catch up on this thread and getting on with life. For me that can be a challenge given my energy fluctuates so often. In regard to my experiment..Histamine and what I'm reading about FODMAPS and other peoples difficulties. They are related, I'm certain. Mast cells, degranulation and various gut, skin etc. issues are related to what we're eating. I notice the FODMAPS list includes many high histamine foods and I do better on low histamine. It's also true that we are each different and what works for one may not work for another...this is why we have to experiment. The lists are a guide and place to start.

I have to control the histamine in order to short circuit the cascade that results. I found a good bit of information here.. Histamine Intolerance | THAT PALEO GUY (the comments are worth a read as well) and he updated here... Histamine Intolerance Update | THAT PALEO GUY (again the comments are informative) and it makes perfect sense for me.

I was searching for a paleo/primal take on this issue and found him. I'm going to start another food diary to track my foods and how I feel day to day because sometimes it takes multiple days to see the results of an experiment while at other times the reaction is immediate. I hope to get a handle on this so my skin will improve as well as my gut. I don't know if expecting a cure is reasonable but finding a way to live with this and be nourished would be wonderful.

I thought I'd share because I'm reading others who are suffering in similar ways looking for information and help. It's possible they may find something useful in all this.

Good health everyone...this thread rocks!!

on edit...I forgot to ask. I read somewhere here about hair loss and what it means...I'm losing hair. *sigh*

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by meeme; 10-04-2012 at 01:45 PM.

dreadlockmama is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    dreadlockmama,
    Welcome. We older gals seem to have some specific issues that a lot of the younger crowd don't have (and hopefully never will have if staying with Primal eating).
    I think eating SAD really contributes to messing with our hormone balance so after years of yoyo dieting (in some of our cases) and poor nutrition from SAD we take some time to heal.
    I look forward to hearing your progress.
    Thanks, Classic.

I have been dieting all my life!

And...I've been a vegetarian for over two decades before going primal on October 1st, 2012.

I'm hoping to put an end to dieting & carb addiction FOREVER...lose 30 to 40 pounds (for the last time!!!) and get rid of chronic low back pain that I believe is due to inflammation.

Thanks for the welcome

DLM

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadlockmama View Post
    Thanks, Classic.

I have been dieting all my life!

And...I've been a vegetarian for over two decades before going primal on October 1st, 2012.

I'm hoping to put an end to dieting & carb addiction FOREVER...lose 30 to 40 pounds (for the last time!!!) and get rid of chronic low back pain that I believe is due to inflammation.

Thanks for the welcome

DLM
    Welcome! You're going to feel so much better soon. I couldn't believe it and I'm still amazed I don't take pain pills after so many years.

I'm glad you found us!

Welcome DLM glad your here to add to the forum. I think you will notice a general decrease in inflammation right away, and once that decreases so does pain. What brought me to PB was a rise in my fasting glucose levels, not big but enough to warn me that there was inflammation and imbalances. Now my fasting levels stay under 100 all the time so I know I am on the right track. Hopefully all of us can keep each other motivated!!

Classic is offline Senior Member
    DLM, If you have not eaten meat for a long time you may find some digestive issues at first due to lack of bile your body needs to digest meat. I think it takes a little time for your body to adjust. I guess if you have been eating eggs and/or cheese already you should be fine.
    Switching to animal fats instead of PUFA's should help with inflammation quite a lot as well as dropping the grains of course. I just seem to have more trouble with PUFA's than grains. I guess I should say I have a more immediate response to PUFA's than grains.

Man I am so off track this week! I have to get a grip and get back on plan, just craving and eating carbs! So angry with myself!!!

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
    Man I am so off track this week! I have to get a grip and get back on plan, just craving and eating carbs! So angry with myself!!!
    We all break out from time to time...remember Mark's 80/20 rule? Cut yourself some slack, realize this week was your 20%, and regroup.
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast