Page 67 of 76 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 67

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Meeme, thanks for your suggestions I looooooove rice pud., but with nutmeg and just milk and butter, which I will replace with coconut milk should be yummy for the occasional treat.

Yes, I was thinking I would feel more secure with an epi pen or something, just incase I get a sudden worse reaction. I am the same with eggs and now cashews. Peanuts have always given me an upset tum. Oddly I have never been able to have tea. It gives me a migraine.

Quote Originally Posted by vatuck View Post
    Some thoughts here.....I am 47, but I have been on the hormonal rollercoaster too. I use BHRT. If I don't, my symptoms are just intolerable. Get your levels tested, though. I tried to just use progesterone, but that was a big flop and once my doctor tested my levels, we found out why. I am deficient in everything, so I am now on DHEA, progesterone, estrogen and testosterone. I feel like a different person now.

Something that helps me with the constipation is taking magnesium. I am with you, I HATE that bloated feeling. It's miserable.

As for the food issues, the chest tightness and shortness of breath are allergic reactions and I would avoid anything that makes you feel that way. A lot of people can mistake this for lactose intolerance, but an allergy is something entirely different. Unfortunately, insurance companies usually wont cover testing or treatment for food allergies. I was tested and given the option of shots for them, but I elected only to get shots for my environmental allergies, due to the insurance issue. My insurance wont pay for the shots for food allergies, so I just avoid the foods.

Hope this helps. Take care!
    My hormone levels were tested recently and show me to be pretty much post menopausal. Although I just had two periods LOL I can't take any BHRT because I have two sisters with breast cancer. They will not prescribe, particularly eostrogen to someone with that high a risk, but I gather progesterone alone is safe.

Food wise I really am just avoiding altogether at this point. Eating out is tough though. Server..... no egg, no dairy, no grains, no sauces with dairy or grains, no msg, no salads, no sugar, so what is left? LOL. Plain meat and veg. Better and much more tasty to do at home. I have been cooking just fab. food at home. Hubby thinks he has died and gone to heaven. I will go and get proper testing, although I gather it isn't always very accurate though.

I have the Calm. Magnesium. don't think it works to well for me. I wake up with a headache when I take it, and it doesn't work. I have also had bigger doses of Vit C. that used to work. Oddly I seem to be doing better now with nothing LOL. and even better if I don't overdrink water.

Classic, thanks for your post I initially had big stomach issues, etc. but things seem to settling down somewhat. I will continue on as I have found that in general I am doing much better on this WOE. Right now I don't think I could even change back. I wouldn't dare have any gluten right now and the other allergy issues are kinda scary so I am really careful. So I think an allergist, thyroid testing and maybe progesterone is the way ahead for me right now. I don't even cheat. I have been probably more than 95 % primal for the last 3 months. The 5% is really just eating out and some things cooked in PUFA's

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Meeme, thanks for your suggestions I looooooove rice pud., but with nutmeg and just milk and butter, which I will replace with coconut milk should be yummy for the occasional treat.
    Yeah, I prefer nutmeg as well but wasn't sure your tummy would take it. I'm totally 100% so I don't eat rice anymore but it was one of my few foods for quite a while. I hope you're feeling better.

I had some gut problems at first but everything has settled down and other than bloat I'm doing really well. We'll get there!

LindaW is offline Junior Member
    Silver girl, I do add some starch to my diet in the form of sweet and small amounts of reg potatoes, and rice. I do better that way. I read the book "the perfect diet" which is very close to PB but suggest some people do better with small amounts of starches each day. I tried upping my coconut oil, but have some trouble digesting too much fat. We are all different, and have to tweak things according to our own bodies. If you want to try the flax, use the ground, an store them in the fridge in a glass jar to keep fresh. All in all the PB is so healthy we will benefit greatly from eliminating all the toxic substances from our lives.

Meme, that's how I am with the drink, I don't use it every day, but keep it handy for when I need it.

Here's a good recipe for getting in some cauliflower. I steam about a half head of cauliflower, and in a small fry pan I sauté baby portabella mushrooms with garlic until brown in small amount of oil, then add some chicken stock (preferably homemade bone broth) stir. Simmer this for about 10 minutes until broth cooks down some, add a Tbl of butter, salt and pepper, cook another minute or two and serve over the cauliflower.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    LindaW,
    That same recipe, all put together then mashed, in the food processor makes a great mashed potato like side dish as well.
    I might add that I am one of those that does a bit better with spuds once in awhile. I did that VLC carb thing for awhile but started feeling tired again until adding some starch occasionally. It seems that a lot of us older gals do a bit better with a few more carbs. I was doing around 50 carbs per day but got too tired after an initial energy boost. I do better with at least 75 to 100.
    I don't count any longer though since establishing this. I just go by how I feel.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I should add that I had to stop the T of coconut oil before meals because I started getting reflux. I guess your body tells you when you don't need to go down that path any longer. We really are an experiment of one.

Page 67 of 76 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast