Page 63 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 63

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    I need to discover WHY I self sabotage, binge, eat cr*p for weeks - then jump back into being a reasonable human being and have to undo all the damage I did.
    This was exactly my problem and why I started with MDA. After 14 months here I have found it is not the complete answer for me but eating Primal and cutting out grains and sugar has helped. My eating yoyo is much less extreme, more a matter of not recognizing satiety signals than binging, which is much easier to control when I eat vegetables, meat and fruit instead of grain and sugar foods. I don't eat rubbish (processed food) anymore but I do need to limit the nuts. They have far too many calories per ounce and taste too good.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nervanna View Post
    Hi Folks- It's been great to find this thread and read through it...quite a varied crowd, but many similar experiences. I am 54, a petite person who all of a sudden gained quite a belly this spring! Where'd it come from? It's like being taken over by aliens! I have always exercised and watched what I ate, except for a soda and cheese addiction that goes way back. Did Protein Power and the Zone when after my child was born and lost the 30 pounds I gained. Last year I tried to get into Atkins but got sucked into the false food vortex and had to give up the products cold turkey. I found PB just as I was noticing this belly gain, and have been reading and dabbling in other Paleo plans as well. Came back to PB last week, and have started a 100 day commitment to it, to give it a chance to work, hoping to lose 15 pounds. Only 5 feet tall, this means somewhere between 1160 and 1380 calories a day, if I count them...which I will for at least a while. Not much but enough. I'm hoping it works, and many of you seem to be on the same path, with many having some success...
    Welcome and good luck! We all seem to get here by circuitous routes! I can tell you it works, though...or it has for me, anyway.
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

LindaW is offline Junior Member
    After reading some posts on calorie restriction, I may watch that more closely. I have been eating a lot more fat and that may be the reason I'm not losing anymore. I haven't gained in lbs, but my pants are tighter and my waist is larger, so I have gained some fat. On another thread it was reasoned that if you are eating too much fat and not expending the energy to burn it all then your body will not burn your stored fat because you are giving it amble fuel in what you are eating. I will tone it down some and see if I don't start losing again, and track my calories too.

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Hi all - I've been subscribed to this thread for awhile but I kept forgetting to check it. Lots of good conversation!

Barbara, thanks for the info on leptin reset. I read a bunch yesterday and decided to just plunge in today because it made sense. I have *never* been one for a big breakfast until I've been up at least 3 hours so two eggs and a can of kippers seemed like a ton of food at 6:30am. But I didn't want lunch until 6 hours later which is completely unusual for me. I'll just have to keep cooked meats on hand - I made some coconut ginger chicken this afternoon and plan to have it with eggs tomorrow morning. I could only get to 38g protein at breakfast today.

I forget who all was posting about calories - yes, I count them along with macronutrients. I lost 13 lbs keeping carbs below 50g/day but then that just stopped cold. So I've gradually relaxed that control (still eating primally - no grains, no sugar) and started looking for reasons why and what I needed to change. I'm 5'4" and usually have 1000 - 1200 cal/day.

The best thing about primal for me is not fighting hunger and cravings all the time.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

LindaW is offline Junior Member
    I'm back to report that cutting my fat intake down some has helped, I have lost 3lbs and 1/2 inch in waist, stomach and bust. So yippee I am finally moving forward. Lbs lost are not as important as the inches, my clothes are fitting looser. I hope this continues to work for me, I love eating this way and have no intention of adding grains back in my life. This way of eating has finally conquered my lifelong sugar addiction, which has put my fasting glucose levels well under 100. I do not have diabetes, but could tell in the last few years that I carried a lot of fat in the stomach area, which is a tell tale sign of pre- diabetes, or insulin resistance.

Would love to hear if anyone else is making some changes or found ways to get un-stuck.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
    I'm back to report that cutting my fat intake down some has helped, I have lost 3lbs and 1/2 inch in waist, stomach and bust. So yippee I am finally moving forward. Lbs lost are not as important as the inches, my clothes are fitting looser. I hope this continues to work for me, I love eating this way and have no intention of adding grains back in my life. This way of eating has finally conquered my lifelong sugar addiction, which has put my fasting glucose levels well under 100. I do not have diabetes, but could tell in the last few years that I carried a lot of fat in the stomach area, which is a tell tale sign of pre- diabetes, or insulin resistance.

Would love to hear if anyone else is making some changes or found ways to get un-stuck.
    Sorry to say I've made quite a few changes to get off this plateau, and I'm still circling 160! It's like my body has decided that's what it should weigh--but given my height (or lack of it), it's not! I cut down on cashews, I'm not eating pumpkin seeds any more, I don't have rum in my evening tea, I've cut way back on fruit, and often have only two meals a day, sometimes one. We do still have a vodka lemonade in the afternoon and a piece of home made dark chocolate truffle after dinner, but good grief! I'm ready to get off the plateau! I was down to 158 a few days ago...but have inched back up. No difference in what I'm eating or doing. (This plateau is MONTHS old, by the way. Sigh!)
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrenwood View Post
    Hi all - I've been subscribed to this thread for awhile but I kept forgetting to check it. Lots of good conversation!

Barbara, thanks for the info on leptin reset. I read a bunch yesterday and decided to just plunge in today because it made sense. I have *never* been one for a big breakfast until I've been up at least 3 hours so two eggs and a can of kippers seemed like a ton of food at 6:30am. But I didn't want lunch until 6 hours later which is completely unusual for me. I'll just have to keep cooked meats on hand - I made some coconut ginger chicken this afternoon and plan to have it with eggs tomorrow morning. I could only get to 38g protein at breakfast today.

I forget who all was posting about calories - yes, I count them along with macronutrients. I lost 13 lbs keeping carbs below 50g/day but then that just stopped cold. So I've gradually relaxed that control (still eating primally - no grains, no sugar) and started looking for reasons why and what I needed to change. I'm 5'4" and usually have 1000 - 1200 cal/day.

The best thing about primal for me is not fighting hunger and cravings all the time.
    hello ladies, I'm back ! I'm just into week 5 of the leptin reset. I havnt lost any weight (boo ) but I have lost one inch from around my waist ! Also what Ive found is that when I first started I was feeling varying degrees of nausea from trying to eat all that cooked brekky after eating a late breakfast for many years. What happened was that after a week or so, it got much easier. Now I have two big pieces of fatty bacon , a small lamb chop and egg and a couple of slices of tomato. This equates to around 60 gms of protein. The Jack Kruse forecast is that men will lose wieght, that is true , my DH has lost over 3 lbs. I actually put on 2 lbs in the first couple of weeks, then what happened was that my appetite really took a slide, I have a small lunch around 2pm 5 to six hours after brekky. I'm soon full,today I had some buffalo mozzarella ,about 100 gms and a cup of decaf with full cream jersey milk. I'm finding that the evening meal which has historically been the largest of the day has also shrunk to a modest meal and that I am eating in the region of 1500 cals per day following my appetite.
    I think for women that there is a lot going on, I am wondering if low levels of candida might be holding things up for me also hormone imbalance . I have also started using blue light blocking glasses after it goes dark enough to need artificial light, I put my reading specs over the top and must look quite a sight, however I have noticed a real improvement in my sleep. I am dropping off easier and not wak,ing until around 4am for a pee when I can drop back off to sleep again .I'm going to bed at 10pm ish .I'm waking now around 6.30 - 7 am as its getting darker in the mornings. I certainly think I shall contiue doing this way of eating although some mornings I may drop the protein down and see what happens.So as things unfold I'll be back to report on how its gone. I think its going to be a while before I see real weight loss. I want to lose about 14 lbs.

I have been feeling a bit odd, sort of racey heart beats which I can feel under my ribs and the stomach area
    . I invested in a BP monitor and today my BP was 98/59 a repeat gave 94/56. Does anyone know how to interpret this ,it seems kind of low.
    best wishes to you all
    .Barbara

update from yesterday.
    I weighed this morning, I have lost 1 lb.!!! (trumpets please ) That is significant because I have been gaining or maintaining for some while. I ate over 100 gms of protein yesterday and after reading paleobirds post on 'eat moar fat' I have decided to slowly reduce protein. My fat levels are already about right. The formula she gave for HSIS ? for my desired wieight is 60gms per day so nearly half of what I am eating already. I think I'll take out 30 gms and see how I go.
    I'm off to visit my Mum for a couple of days and its always harder to be precise when you are away so I'll start in earnest when i get back.
    also from paleobird's post I gleaned about the salt thing . I had not rememebered to take extra salt for some while.After I did , the racey heart thin g felt better. I think that may be the cause of that particular little annoyance.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    Gratz! It could be the salt thing. I notice a rise in wieght when I eat out and I figure they salt the food much more then I would.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Be sure to use sea salt, when salting, so you get all the trace minerals also. Never know what those little things can contribute.

Page 63 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast