Page 62 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 62

denise is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Helloooooo

"over 50" here. (Just don't tell anyone cos no-one ever guesses above 45)

This is a LONG thread so please cut me some slack that I am just joining in without reading it all.

First, forgive me, I am not exactly primal at the moment.... I am concentrating far too much on losing the weight I have gained this year and so am (*sounds embarrassed so says it quietly*) calorie counting! I know, I know, but evil times need evil deeds - or something.

Thing is, Primal is fab, makes me feel great - but I can only ever maintain on primal. So, having fallen off the "primal wagon" and face first into the "binge-ditch", I am doing what I have to. BUT I am painfully aware that in the not too (about 8kg) distant future, I need to swap over again and manage my diet for lifelong health. I am part of another, more "CICO" site and becoming nervous when confronted by "maintainers" living permanently (in their heads cos it won't last in their bodies) on 1400 calories a day. Or am I being unduly harsh and thats reasonable. With a BMR of 1850+ I wouldn't want to attempt that for life!!

So I am a bit like a circus performer at the mo - one foot on each of 2 different horses. Help, advice, comment, inspiration, criticism, suggestions - gardening tips (joking, sadly no garden) work out tips (not joking, I work out every day) all welcome. Just wanted to "join in"

Badabing is offline Junior Member
    Hey gals:

Enjoying this WOE and looking forward to the lifestyle but having worked all week, I now need to go out and buy a sh!!t load of food cause I managed to eat absolutely every vegetable that I have in the house. I am down to one avocado and 18 eggs. Oh, well, guess I could have that...lol. Farmers market this morning so will see what they have today. I don't usually have Fridays off, usually Wednesdays but did a switch and now I have a 4 day weekend..yipee. Speaking of work, I am now more determined than ever to rid myself of this extra poundage (about 20 would make me back to the past) and to move more. The reasons....one of the ladies (younger than me, she is only 55) had a heart attack this past week. She had been complaining of the chest pain, went to the doctor at least 4 times in the last two weeks, said it was heartburn and that her tests results were good, a little bit of high BP and then last Saturday, after our staff BBQ she had chest pain that lasted all night, so off to outpatients and bang, she was having a HA. They did the angiogram and found that one of her front valves was blocked 90%. She is overweight about 75 lbs, is somewhat inactive, quit smoking 2 months ago (she wasn't too heavy a smoker). So, I guess it was another eyeopener in the way of life!! She blames some of it on the frozen meals (weight watchers, lean cusine) that seem to contain too much salt.

Yes, this way of life is even catching on with DH who usually doesn't care but in explaining this to him, he was all...yes, that is true and I do feel much better when I eat the right foods and I am more regular...ha, ha! So, nice to know that I do not have to cook the starchy carby foods for him...he can eat them when we go out...which is usually once a week after golfing with our friends.

Unfortunately, the weight is not dropping off me either, so iateallthepies (could hardly type that) if you find a solution let us all know. I barely ever cheat and am around 1550 calories daily with betyween 50-100 carbs and yet, I seem to be maintaining. What's up? I have somewhat been trying to IF at lunch times at work eating only an Atkins bar but perhaps that needs to stop and I really need to IF. I belong to My Fitness Pal and I have a friend on there who has lost 75 lbs doing JUDD which is about 500 calories every other day and anything goes every other day. She is doing fantastic!

Enough blab for now, happy to have found this group!
    Last edited by Badabing; 08-03-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Hi LindaW and anyone else struggling to lose weight despite being goody two shoes for months.
    leptin resistance, Dr. Jack Kruse, weight loss, Why is Oprah still obese? - Jack Kruse
    I am on day three of the leptin reset. I was very dubious about this mainly because the thought of downing all that food at the crack of dawn made me think I could not do it. However something needs to give and I am going to give it the 6-8 weeks quoted as being probably the necesary period for reset.
    First ,I had never even heard of leptin and it seems to be a recent discovery.However I am excited after trawling through hours of responses and counter responses on Dr. Jack's pages that he has definitely hit on something.
    So, and this is for those who have not lost or in my case even gained wieight.

Day one ate 49 gms. of protein within 30 minutes of rising probably around 6.30. ( 6 strips streaky bacon and two eggs) I felt blerrr for ages and then it passed. I followed this quickly by my version of bullet proof coffee which is bulletproof cocoa ,big teaspoon of CO and a big tespoon of ( in my case ) butter with sea salt.

Day two. Due to an error in calcuLAtions and being too late to do anything about it when I realised I only consumed 30 gms of protein followed by the cocoa. However I didnt even begin to feel hungry before 1pm and didnt eat until nearly two, I had a quarter of a large apple ,11 walnut halves and some cottage cheese for lunch and two boiled eggs for tea (dinner).
    Not feeling too bad, not much excercise as a back malfunction occurred somewhere between putting on socks and rising from edge of bed.
    A funny thing happened, I am still experiencing hot flushes but after my brekky I noticed that not only was I having a hot flush BUT I was raging hot across my shoulders and upper backand it felt different from the usual.
    OK< day three actually woke early, and hungry, ate 64 gms of protein in the form of 142 gms of ground beef ( we call it mince ) three scrambled egss and two rashers of streaky bacon, ate the lot no problem. I have realised that you need to eat pretty quickly before you start to feel full, not chewing every mouth full a hundred times.Also I dont drink before eating, I usually have a glass of water first but have deferred that in order to feel the hunger still. I feel quite clear headed this morning and have been for a wlk with the dog already.
    Another thing I have noticed is that with not eating within five hours of going to bed I am sleeping very well,I have not experienced night hunger and I didnt awake until 4 am for a pee and then went off to sleep again. This too is unusual for me. I'm often up three or even four times, not really because of bladder issues but because I awake and think I may as well have a pee whilst awake. Also this morning my husband complained he was cold in bed, he put his dressing gown over his side,I was like a little furnace despite being close to the open widow, this too is unusual,its usually me putting my dressing gown over my half.
    Sorry if thits a bit long and maybe I should've started a journal but not really sure this is going to be of any interest to anyone not in the same boat as me.
    Finally, I heartily recommend Dr. Kruse's web site as worth a long read. Stuff in there that is new to me but some of it over my head but it does make me see that most people arnt over weight because they eat too much but because their bodies are not working as they should.
    I'll report back when I have anything of consequence to say.
    bye now
    Last edited by iateallthepies; 08-03-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Hi Badabing ,sorry about the handle.Try Barbara if its easier. I did want 'Sparetyre' but some one already had that one.
    I'm not a foot ball fan but they sing 'who ate all the pies'you fat b*****d,who ate all the pies ' at matches for some reason and it seemed as good as any.
    Well , your story is nearly the same as mine. I have been so disappointed because I KNOW that this is the way to eat and yet it wasnt working for me in the weight loss stakes and I have have been feeling not quite right either, lacking in energy and very lethargic . I usually run at around 160lbs ,current BMI 27.5. I should be around 147lbs and thats no where near thin ,which i think is unlikely and at my age undesirable due to baggy skin syndrome. A little bit of flesh plumps it out a bit . Ha ha.
    DH is very over weight too,nearly 20stones at 6' , we have a good basic diet but he drinks beer, takes sugar, eats bread and potatoes and crisps (potato chips ),he is 63 and amazingly dosnt take any meds for anything. However I feel he is balancing on the cliff edge.
    recently my local NHS have launched a study into diabetes ,he received an invitation to go for blood tests.This is followed by diet and excercise advice and followup blood tests.The diet is YUP ,you've guessed ,low cal ,low fat. FOR GOODNESS SAKE!
    Anyway, I have persuaded him to take the tests to see what is actually happening and then decied for himself which food track to take.I will of course be advocating the LCHF but as you can see, at the moment ,I am not a shining example of success am I ?
    Barbara

HI Denise, sorry, I seem to be reading all the posts backwards for some reason known only to someone other than myself.
    I like the picture of you straddling two horses. I know the feeling well, I have been having major doubts myself but when I look at other eating alternatives ,I know there isnt an alternative.
    My advice which I have taken on board myself is to keep tweaking the basice theme until it works for you. As you have hopefully seen I am counting on leptin resistance as being my main barrier to weight loss. I have been aware of Circadian rythms but didnt fully understand how all this wrks, still dont but working on it. I think we need to see our bodies as one large working piece of machinery not just bits and bobs of an organism and when we get that machine working as it should we should see a difference. When I get my Ferrari firing on all fours or six perhaps ! I'll let yer know ! meanwhile keep posting and chewing the fat metaphorically and literally !
    barbara

Brighthorse, I only have free range eggs, organic meat seems hard to come by here and also mega expensive. In the UK I feel lamb is a better bet as its always grass fed and most beef is too as even when yarded in winter they are fed a conserved grass diet and some grains. Free range pork is one I'm not sure of as most sytems I have seen are not grass fed but housed outside and fed supplemetary feeds which could include soya and such like.

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    Hi Denise !

I'm a pretty new member ..also over 50 (yikes how did that happen?)I read your post with interest, of course I have also done the CICO thing too, what woman in the west has not ! But I came across this thread here on the site which I found really interesting and also helpful in terms of the whole CICO debate and weight loss particularly reference to women in their 40's n 50's http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html
    Hope that this link works ok , for myself I have found it much more difficult to loose weight as I got older but I am v much enjoying this way of eating and am seeing some benefits in energy and weight loss but since that is a bit slow I have been digging around the site for more info. Also a regular exerciser and gym hostage in past really love these shorter workouts suggested by Mark , so far seem to suit me much better and don't feel so drained but it's all early days for me and I have lots to learn, some women on the site are lifting serious barbells which is pretty inspiring and I haven't done but I am working towards that use dumb bells at moment...Also love yoga and have been doing sprint workouts in gym (rower n elliptical) which make me feel pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by artyscat View Post
    Hi Denise !

I'm a pretty new member ..also over 50 (yikes how did that happen?)I read your post with interest, of course I have also done the CICO thing too, what woman in the west has not ! But I came across this thread here on the site which I found really interesting and also helpful in terms of the whole CICO debate and weight loss particularly reference to women in their 40's n 50's http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html
    Hope that this link works ok , for myself I have found it much more difficult to loose weight as I got older but I am v much enjoying this way of eating and am seeing some benefits in energy and weight loss but since that is a bit slow I have been digging around the site for more info. Also a regular exerciser and gym hostage in past really love these shorter workouts suggested by Mark , so far seem to suit me much better and don't feel so drained but it's all early days for me and I have lots to learn, some women on the site are lifting serious barbells which is pretty inspiring and I haven't done but I am working towards that use dumb bells at moment...Also love yoga and have been doing sprint workouts in gym (rower n elliptical) which make me feel pretty good
    Thanks, will have a look at the link.
    good luck!

ah, it's paleobirds calorie thread - yes, I followed this at the time. Some "yes" moments - some "no" for me
    Last edited by denise; 08-04-2012 at 06:17 AM. Reason: checked thread

Quote Originally Posted by iateallthepies View Post
    HI Denise, sorry, I seem to be reading all the posts backwards for some reason known only to someone other than myself.
    I like the picture of you straddling two horses. I know the feeling well, I have been having major doubts myself but when I look at other eating alternatives ,I know there isnt an alternative.
    My advice which I have taken on board myself is to keep tweaking the basice theme until it works for you. As you have hopefully seen I am counting on leptin resistance as being my main barrier to weight loss. I have been aware of Circadian rythms but didnt fully understand how all this wrks, still dont but working on it. I think we need to see our bodies as one large working piece of machinery not just bits and bobs of an organism and when we get that machine working as it should we should see a difference. When I get my Ferrari firing on all fours or six perhaps ! I'll let yer know ! meanwhile keep posting and chewing the fat metaphorically and literally !
    barbara
    agree completely about needing the n+1 continual experimentation, find what works for you. I am currently in "mental mode" cos there is much more to my weight than "I eat a it too much sometimes". I need to discover WHY I self sabotage, binge, eat cr*p for weeks - then jump back into being a reasonable human being and have to undo all the damage I did. One thing I like about threads like this is we're all n a similar journey but in fact we are coming from and going to quite different places. You just sometimes hear something from someone that makes your own journey a bit easier or your own path a bit clearer.

Nervanna is offline Junior Member
    Hi Folks- It's been great to find this thread and read through it...quite a varied crowd, but many similar experiences. I am 54, a petite person who all of a sudden gained quite a belly this spring! Where'd it come from? It's like being taken over by aliens! I have always exercised and watched what I ate, except for a soda and cheese addiction that goes way back. Did Protein Power and the Zone when after my child was born and lost the 30 pounds I gained. Last year I tried to get into Atkins but got sucked into the false food vortex and had to give up the products cold turkey. I found PB just as I was noticing this belly gain, and have been reading and dabbling in other Paleo plans as well. Came back to PB last week, and have started a 100 day commitment to it, to give it a chance to work, hoping to lose 15 pounds. Only 5 feet tall, this means somewhere between 1160 and 1380 calories a day, if I count them...which I will for at least a while. Not much but enough. I'm hoping it works, and many of you seem to be on the same path, with many having some success...

Page 62 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast