Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 60

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    These to blog sites have quite a bit on fermenting veggies.
    Lacto-Fermented Dill Pickles | CHEESESLAVE

Nourished Kitchen

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I know we have kind of been talking about fermenting and gardening on here but at least it keeps the thread going. I would certainly love to hear about anything you gals can come up with.

thanks for that classic. I rather think my 'eight balls' will need cutting or shredding as theyre not a good shape for going into a jar . I'll have a go as quite frankly there sre so many of them ,the only alternative is a juggling troup !!
    Wonderful thread ladies, lets keep it going !
    Re read Marks recommendations for food last night, I'm making some changes as I SO want to make this work.I find it hard to understand why, when Ive kep carbs so low that I didnt lose weight ,so, I'm going to raise them slightly and see what happens and lower my fats slightly. I keep thinking if I tweek the numbers enough I may hit the illusive 'Sweet spot' that others have mentioned.

well ! pooh ! I just spent ages with this post and promptly lost it.
    Google Translate
    This is a link to a Scandanavian web site ,it has been translated so some things read a bit strange. Point 15 is what caught my eye and that is what I will try. The blog and replies were quite intersting too as they were seemingly from us older ladies.
    =Excercise today.
    SPRINTING through waist high wet grass after two escaped horses AND lifting heavy things....a large barrow full of wet horse manure a quarter of a mile to the muck heap. I smiled as I pushed it along as I am sure I have great muscles under this flab.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    That news is exciting Kate. I love to here successes of people we pass along our new found knowledge and personal success to. And oh so sustainable way to live.
    I wish I had discovered this when I was in my 30's when I was in my peak physical condition. I still had a lot of aches and pains that would not have been there if the inflammation would not have existed. Ah well I am thankful for what I have now as well. I try to share with everyone I can also.
    Thanks, Classic! Not everyone wants to hear it, so I'm careful how I introduce the subject, but these are two young women that I almost consider part of my tribe. SO HAPPY to have helped...
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

LindaW is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience with fermented pickles. Do you just leave them in a basement or something? Do they bubble up out of the jars eventually? I have some "pickle it" jars I want to try but don't have any cukes yet.
    Do you use wired jars or regular metal banded jars?
    After they ferment for about 3 days I just put them in a fridge in my basement. You can keep them in a crock, but it's just easier for me to do it this way. I use the regular metal banded jars, actually you can use any jar with a good sealing lid.
    Mine don't bubble out of the jars, I leave a good inch head space and only ferment for 3 days. I have had a lot of the lids pop quite hard when I open them. Actually had a jar that when my husband unscrewed it the lid flew across the room, scared the crap out of me! LOL You can look up some recipes from Nourishing Traditions on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by iateallthepies View Post
    Hi LindaW, I'm really getting quite excited about having a go with this veg. fermenting.
    I sometimes stir fry cabbage in butter with other vegetables, very nice it is too.
    Hi iateallthepies, LOL love your name! Fermenting is great, and easy once you get going. In about two weeks I will be doing all my canning, mostly making tomato sauce, tomato soup, and canned tomatoes. I may can some vegetable soup this year also. It makes for some quick meals. Last year I canned beanless chili, it turned out pretty tasty.

janagram is offline Senior Member
    Hi gals! I actually started this thread a long time (yrs) ago....how strange....I haven't been back much, but am so grateful that it is still going! It's easy to be daunted by the young sixpackabs set....not that the site is full of those, but this thread is so needed.
    What are you doing for fitness? I'm getting back into walking....not too far, but comfortable... I was into NIA dancing for a few yrs but a shoulder injury caused me to take a break. Rotator cuff....It's better now, but now I want to walk.

I go to yoga class twice a week, ride my bike, and do a weight workout in my home gym a couple times a week. I also work in a nutrition store which keeps me on my feet a lot, and I unload boxes when stock comes in, so that's some moderate to heavy lifting for me. I also count the carrying laundry up 2 flights of stairs a couple times a week!

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    I like to ride my bike most mornings. I between 5 and 8 miles. That is not far on a bike but it is all I have time for. I know some people read this and go constant cardio blah blah blah. So what? I like it. I work from home so it gives me a chance to get out. It gives me time to think about my day which I imagine most people would do during a commute to work. I live in the country, since I ride at dawn, it gives me a chance to see some local wildlife. Which is always good!
    I also walk my heeler dog 2 miles each day because she is so hyper there would be no living with her if I didn't And I lift free weights, planking, ketttlebell stuff etc. I like it. For my age, I am in good shape!

Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast