Page 59 of 76 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 59

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    No worries Badabing. The thing I like best about this WOE is that if I mess up for a couple of days it only takes a day or two to feel back to my old self. I have been eating this way for over two years now though but I seem to remember that I felt much better, even in the beginning, a few days after I started this WOE.
    BTW congrats on not having any ill response for your nights sleep.

well you ladies do seem to do differnt things with cabbage.I have never heard of pan broiled AND with vinegarr and spices. I just steam mine lightly...very boreing.

LindaW is offline Junior Member
    I like to make fermented pickles and also a blend of hot and mild peppers. I ferment them in quart size jars. For the pickles I use the pickling cucumbers with mustard seeds, sea salt and dill. For the peppers I use mustard seeds, sometimes dill or Italian spices and i add onions or cloves of garlic and sea salt. I make probably 20 jars of these in the summer and we eat them all year as a condiment with our meals. We are not huge fans of sauerkraut. I have also made some of the other fermented recipes in Nourishing Traditions, but find we eat the pickles and peppers the most.

Speaking of cabbage, my favorite way to eat it is sauteed in some olive oil with salt and pepper, put a lid on the pan and cook till tender.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    I'm so grateful to be able to pass this concept ON! I'm going to be 70 this year, started Primal last September and it's been wonderful for me. 30 lbs. of excess weight dropped off, GERD is gone, hernia isn't tender any more, mood swings evaporated, BP is pretty much normalized.

I suggested they try it it to a young friend who'd just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and another who'd suffered horrible allergies most of her life...and recently they've both told me how much better they are. Makes me tear up I'm so happy! Both are young mothers and have a wonderful life ahead of them...HOORAY!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

That news is exciting Kate. I love to here successes of people we pass along our new found knowledge and personal success to. And oh so sustainable way to live.
    I wish I had discovered this when I was in my 30's when I was in my peak physical condition. I still had a lot of aches and pains that would not have been there if the inflammation would not have existed. Ah well I am thankful for what I have now as well. I try to share with everyone I can also.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
    I like to make fermented pickles and also a blend of hot and mild peppers. I ferment them in quart size jars. For the pickles I use the pickling cucumbers with mustard seeds, sea salt and dill. For the peppers I use mustard seeds, sometimes dill or Italian spices and i add onions or cloves of garlic and sea salt. I make probably 20 jars of these in the summer and we eat them all year as a condiment with our meals. We are not huge fans of sauerkraut. I have also made some of the other fermented recipes in Nourishing Traditions, but find we eat the pickles and peppers the most.

Speaking of cabbage, my favorite way to eat it is sauteed in some olive oil with salt and pepper, put a lid on the pan and cook till tender.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with fermented pickles. Do you just leave them in a basement or something? Do they bubble up out of the jars eventually? I have some "pickle it" jars I want to try but don't have any cukes yet.
    Do you use wired jars or regular metal banded jars?

I think cabbage is one of the most versatile vegggies. Everything from stir fry, kraut, slaw, pouches for rolling meat in. AND oh so nutritious. Cruciferous veggies in general are our favorite. It is hard for us to rotate our beds because most of them are cruciferous stuff.

Has anyone used eight ball zucchini /courgettes to ferment ?. I grew four plants and have never grown them before so I had no idea they would be so prolific.There are only so many you can eat or give away. They are lovely stir fried in butter .

Hi Classic, I love my cruciferae,however ,slugs have been a big problem this year for cauliflowers but the romanesco have done fine and I have several types of cabbage coming along.DH is a big fan of brussels sprouts, the variety 'Brilliant' starts in September and then we have a late variety. Sorry if this is turning into a gardening post.
    Also ,our family dog had a lump removed 17 months ago, it was an adenocarcinoma which had effaced a lymph node ,prognosis ,poor. We decided against chemo ( they gave her three months ) and went to an holistic vet. We took her off a commercial diet and She too is on a primal diet ,although not raw as she cant digest it well.I steam it lightly and then she has a whole load of brassica vegetables also lightly steamed. I am convinced that this diet ,along with some herbs and supplements have helped her so much. You wouldnt think there is anything the matter with her if you saw her. Fingers crossed she has more years to come.
    Sorry if this is too OT.

Hi LindaW, I'm really getting quite excited about having a go with this veg. fermenting.
    I sometimes stir fry cabbage in butter with other vegetables, very nice it is too.

Page 59 of 76 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast