Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 58

Hi Classic, the GAPS looks very complicated and I would need some more equipment I think. I will try and see if I can get the book from the library, Ive bought so many books and alot have been rubbish. However the stews and soups thing looks interesting and I do like good comforting food in the winter and often make both soups and stews.
    Ive not had success with may ginger bug, I think temperature fluctuations have been the problem and I will start again and use my seed propagator in the greenhouse and see if a constant temperature does the trick. I am assuming that I would need this for sauerkraut ? Ive never done this and have never even tasted it. Dosnt life take you off at odd tangents. better go and brush up on that too.
    thanks, barbara

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    The only ingredients my husband uses for sauerkraut are shredded cabbage and salt. He adds a few spices to jazz it up a bit but they are optional.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Hi Kahiba, does a natural ferentation process take place then ? I need to look into this abit more. Sauerkraut isnt a big thing in the UK.I dont think I've ever tasted it. We have pickled red cabbage, thats about it.

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    Hi iateallthepies. We got the recipe from balancedbites.com. I think it was January 2012 and called easy-recipe-raw-sauerkraut.
    On the last page Diane gives a few variations but Alan usually adds 4 garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, and 1 teaspoon dried thyme.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iateallthepies View Post
    Hi Classic, the GAPS looks very complicated and I would need some more equipment I think. I will try and see if I can get the book from the library, Ive bought so many books and alot have been rubbish. However the stews and soups thing looks interesting and I do like good comforting food in the winter and often make both soups and stews.
    Ive not had success with may ginger bug, I think temperature fluctuations have been the problem and I will start again and use my seed propagator in the greenhouse and see if a constant temperature does the trick. I am assuming that I would need this for sauerkraut ? Ive never done this and have never even tasted it. Dosnt life take you off at odd tangents. better go and brush up on that too.
    thanks, barbara
    Another reason for your bug not working may be the ginger you are using. Try for organic if you can. I just read that some ginger gets irradiated so that would kill all the beneficial things on the skin of the ginger which create the environment for ferment. The reason we use roots like ginger are because they have protective enzymes on them that prevent rotting in the soil. Those enzymes are what keep out any bad things that might want to grow with sugar and provide the invironment for a good fermentation process.
    Fermenting things is always an experiment. It always comes out different but is always interesting. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kahiba View Post
    The only ingredients my husband uses for sauerkraut are shredded cabbage and salt. He adds a few spices to jazz it up a bit but they are optional.
    Sauerkraut fermentation is lacto fermetation as well and you could use some of the juice from that to make fruit soda but it may have a weird taste. The "ginger bug" does not affect the taste of the fruit sodas.

I just picked our first big cabbages yesterday and will start a batch of sauerkraut today. There is nothing like home made sauerkraut eh?

Anybody do any other kinds of fermentation out there? I would love to hear about it. I highly recommend Sandor Katz's book "Wild Fermentation" to anyone just starting out or Sally Fallon's "Traditional Nutrition".

Kahiba,
    What kind of spice does your husband throw in his sauerkraut? I have used juniper berries and caraway seeds.

Hi Classic, you may be right. It wasnt labelled organic and there was only one sort. In fact I dont think I have ever seen organic offered. I may have to dig deeper into that and see if I can find a source. Dont you just hate it that everything is messed with ??
    BTW what veriety of cabbage do you grow for sauerkraut ? I have some cabbages ready now .

I think our cabbage was called Fremont but any round headed cabbage will do and I bet any cabbage family plants would work although I haven't tried nappa or others. They use different cabbages for Kimchi so try whatever you have.

Badabing is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry, ladies, sauerkraut is one thing that I have never found a liking for! I have no desire either. Now, pan broiled cabbage with vinegar and spices.......love it and we have that at least once a week. BBQ went well yesterday, ate steak, marinated veggies, a little caesar salad without croutons....it was the brownie for dessert and several glasses of wine that took the toll. But I guess if this is to become my new WOE that these days will come and go and one just needs to plan somewhat for them.

Off to the golf course today, walking 9 holes should help out the effects of yesterday, I would think!

Anxious to weigh in this week and see if this WOE is starting to make the lbs dissolve..........ha, ha! Dream on!

By the way, I didn't have any sweats last night from either the wine or the coffee that I had.

Donna

Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast