Page 57 of 76 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 57

Keldeb is offline Junior Member
    Hey, you "Gals Over 50!" Got a question . . . How do I lose this extra belly fat that menopause has dropped around my waist in the past six months? I've been Primal for two months, keeping my carbs to 100 or below, walking every day. Everything's thining out, the pounds are dropping slowly (but dropping nonetheless), but nothing's happening to my waistline. It even appears larger since everything else is getting smaller and tighter. I'm on bioidentical hormones. Could that possibly be keeping me from getting rid of the excess?

LindaW is offline Junior Member
    Hi Keldeb, I am having the same problem with my waist area. I am losing inches but not in the waist. I am hoping eventually that will start going down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldeb View Post
    Hey, you "Gals Over 50!" Got a question . . . How do I lose this extra belly fat that menopause has dropped around my waist in the past six months? I've been Primal for two months, keeping my carbs to 100 or below, walking every day. Everything's thining out, the pounds are dropping slowly (but dropping nonetheless), but nothing's happening to my waistline. It even appears larger since everything else is getting smaller and tighter. I'm on bioidentical hormones. Could that possibly be keeping me from getting rid of the excess?
    Yep, I'm having the same problems myself. I dont know wether I should be eating more, I tried that and my waist got bigger so I am assuming that calories do count for me and I'm trying to keep cals around 1400 with an emphasis on fat,I have reduced my protein slightly as well. I shall keep pushing on as I know this is the way to go but all the same I'm frustrated as Ive been wrestling with the same stone of flab all my adult life. Deep sigh !
    I'm not on hormones of any kind .

Keldeb is offline Junior Member
    I talked with my holistic practitioner yesterday about this. He gave me a supplement called Endo Supreme, which is supposed to help out with the endocrine system. He swears by it. I'll let you all know what happens. I've been lazy on the exercise trail recently and am pumping that up. Who knows? Maybe that will help. Please keep posting about your failures/successes. Hopefully, we can figure this out together.

' Please keep posting about your failures/successes. Hopefully, we can figure this out together.'

I will certainly be posting and watching for what works for you all. There is certainly much more to this for us older ladies and we need to work out what it is.
    OK, I'm off to cook my lamb chop now.

ok, this shouldnt be happening I know, but I am storing dietary fat. I have gained another pound of lard.
    Yesterday ,which was fairly typical consisted of
    1475 cals
    130.4 gms fat
    17.8 gms carbs
    70.5 gms protein
    Now ! the only significant weight loss I experienced was with the Dukan diet, ( 10lbs in five days) yes, some was water but the rest was lard .Dukan is nearly all protein and low fat . Oh yuk. I only did this for seven days, couldnt hack it any longer.
    However, it does signal to me that more protein and less fat is possibly where I need to go.Also, Ive never been heavy into carbs, never had a sweet tooth and kicked sugar in the last century so maybe going uber low carb didnt have the same affect on me this time that it has in the past .
    Before anyone asks, I have no health issues that I know of,no aches and pains etc but have always been a stone (14 lbs) os over weight. I am aiming for 147 lbs which givemn my 5' 4" height I believe still not skinny. I am currently 160lbs.
    I am ( along with the rest of the world) currently experiencing stress, but then I was in January when I lost on Dukan)

Todays menu might be looking like this
    Cals 1223( ( may try to up this but dont want to up the fat )therefore need cals but not fat ,any ideas ?
    fat 84.8 gms
    carbs 37.7 gms
    protein 89 gms
    So, I'll try this for a few days, if things dont change I may lower fat again and up the protein,although I'm not sure how to do this unless I get egg bound !
    Also, reading extensively through the archive at 'women's problems' I read one thread that suggested that grokette might not have had access to the prime fatty cuts the hunting boys got to eat. If a kill was made miles from camp and CW says that they may have had to track animals to a standstill for days before they could make a kill, lets face it theyre not going to haul a woolly mammoth back to camp are they?They're going to gorge themselves on the good bits and maybe take the rest back to camp to be dried etc. as and when they can get grokette to do the hauling.( yes, I'm assuming male dominance here )
    .Grokette might have been back near base camp gathering berries, eggs ,nuts etc in season and perhaps roots and bulbs in winter. Her diet may not have been so rich in fat and may have had higher carbs.
    OK, ladies, thanks for reading my thoughts and any suggestions will be given serious consideration.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Keep in mind that if you are feeling deprived in anyway you may hang on to the weight no matter how low in calories you go. At least that is what I have learned about myself.
    You mentioned that you lost weight the last time in the winter??? As a previous post I mentioned that it is much harder to lose weight in the summer. Maybe you should work on your food intake to be what makes you feel satiated, then in the fall try somethings that may help in losing like dropping any dairy or nuts you may be eating.
    I can't remember if you partake of either of those.
    I am going to do a GAPS style plan this fall. You might want to explore that. Have you heard of GAPS? It helps heal your gut so that you can digest food efficiently and without pain.

Has anyone on this thread done the GAP? If so I would love hear how you did. I tried it this past winter and lost another 15 lbs. I have not gained that back and just have been eating 70-80% primal with out tracking anything. I love that.

Hi Classic ,it was at the end of the winter, January to be exact. I lost the 10lbs quickly.
    I have just finished my evening meal and am feeling quite content,in fact I havnt felt that hungry all day but I am aware that eating too low might cuase an unwanted effect. Which was why last week I upped the calories and ended up with another lb. around my middle so I have come to the conclusion that some people can eat an unlimited amount and still drop weight but I dont seem able to do that. In order to keep weight off on a calorie counted diet I would need to be around 1000 calories. Its just not sustainable which is why I am playing with figures a bit to see what combination works.
    I did read somewhere that someone had had success at around 80/80/80.That seems a lot of carbs to me but I may try it if necesary
    I havnt heard of the GAPS diet but will go and take a look now and see if I can learn anything.
    Thanks for your comments.

Badabing is offline Junior Member
    FOUND YOU LADIES, I knew there must be an over 50 thread somewhere in here. Totally am awed by MDA, this I believe is the way of eating. Who needs carbs? Not me that's for sure!

I would like to lose this 10-15 lbs and keep it off for good....sound familiar. I am 57, in pretty decent shape, few aches and pains like all of us. I quit smoking in March of 2011 and gained a few but lost the few and now have gained the few back once again. i do believe that is my entire life....lose some, gain some. Seems like every holiday puts back the lost pounds. BUT I refuse to rule out the holidays. This way of eating seems totally workable on a holiday.

I have been primal for 2 weeks on Monday and lost a couple but am afraid that it was water loss. Still not feeling much thinner in my work clothes. I track my calories fairly religiously on My fitness Pal and have been staying around 1500 a day. I found in the past that I needed to stay around 1100 to lose but that was before going Primal. I was doing low cal which I was always hungry on.

Let me know who figures out the waistline thingy. I am trying to remember when I had a waistline...lol! Extra weight on me goes right around the middle. I am 8 years post meno so all those issues should be long gone....well, not some nights of night sweats. Last night was one....I had a glass of zinfandel before supper and it might have done it. Well, tonight is staff BBQ so will see how many sweats I have tonight! Fun, fun! But I am still going to primal as much as I can tonight...wish me luck.

Going to check out GAP now...looks interesting.

Donna

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Donna, oh dear dosnt this all sound very familiar ? I'm 59 and about 5 years post menopause but I still get some flushes although I am sure they are diminishing and they arnt too bad. Ive not used any hormone treatment. I find alcohol and caffeine made things worse so Hve given them the elbow.
    It makes me wonder if the ladies who can drop weight easily are a different shape, maybe taller and more angular in build, I am 5 ' 4" ,short waisted and I am very top heavy a UK 16 on top and UK 14 on the bottom ,current weight is 160lbs. I dont put weight on my backside and thighs but tend to have it around the middle and also on my bust which is generous to say the least at 34 G. I am quite heavy boned and my mother describes me (still ) as 'sturdy' Get the picture ?
    barbara

Page 57 of 76 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast