Page 55 of 76 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 55

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by iateallthepies View Post
    Hi Classic and all, yes, it is a very interesting site and the dandelion soda also looks promising. I have had to supplement potassium because I was experiencing rapid heart beat and since dandelion is ,I think, high in potassium it might be one to try.
    The rhubarb season, I think is coming to an end in the UK but raspberries are coming into season. Can you use frozen fruit and if you use fruits with seeds such as raspberries do you just strain before or after fermenting ?
    thanks, Barbara
    I always strain the fruit after the first ferment in the gallon jug. I pour the the gallon jug of fermente fruit thru a stainless steel strainer into a bowl before bottling. I will see if I can email you the process I mentioned because it has pictures of every step.

I sent you the process but the pictures will not show up. Since you live in the UK the weather may be similar to our Seattle area. I had trouble getting the ferment to work well sometimes (when I first started) since our room temp year around is less than 70 degrees. I bought a seed starting mat to set the ferment on both for the initial ferment and the bottled ferment. It raises the temp just a few degrees to help the process.

Since it is summer now you may be warm enough but we are still at 68 degrees in our house. Good luck.

Thanks very much Classic, I have received the mail and have printed it off. It may take me a while to gather all the jars and bottles together and I can see that it needs some planning. I used to make home made wine years ago and sadly let all my equipment go.Is plastic ok for the large container or is glass better. ?
    Barbara

Glass is always better when fermenting because the process can leach bad things from plastic and metal into your drink.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for the interesting links. Classic, please, could you email me what you sent iateallthepies?

I'd do a Bambi eyes smiley but there isn't one available in the quick reply options....

Hi Classic, I put the starter going today. Its in a sunny window sill but I could put it in my seed propagator in the greenhouse if necesary.
    Also I have a large stainless steel pot, would that be suitable for fermenting in.? I dont have anything big enough in glass.
    I'm quite excited now, I was hoping to get my DH off the aspartame loaded lemonade. He just isnt interested in what I eat and it gives me the heebyjeebies seeing what he eats and drinks.I thought these home made sodas might just be the ticket and so much better than the b ought stuff.
    Barbara.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Thanks everyone for the interesting links. Classic, please, could you email me what you sent iateallthepies?

I'd do a Bambi eyes smiley but there isn't one available in the quick reply options....
    I will see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by iateallthepies View Post
    Hi Classic, I put the starter going today. Its in a sunny window sill but I could put it in my seed propagator in the greenhouse if necesary.
    Also I have a large stainless steel pot, would that be suitable for fermenting in.? I dont have anything big enough in glass.
    I'm quite excited now, I was hoping to get my DH off the aspartame loaded lemonade. He just isnt interested in what I eat and it gives me the heebyjeebies seeing what he eats and drinks.I thought these home made sodas might just be the ticket and so much better than the b ought stuff.
    Barbara.
    You could let it cool in the metal pot then add the "bug". Then you could pour it in 4 quart jars. for the first ferment. Do you have any smaller bottle for the second ferment? I got mine at a beer supply store. Those wire top ones are great and can be used over and over. I bought two cases of them and have been using them for a couple of years now.
    Last edited by Classic; 07-21-2012 at 01:51 PM.

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    Hi PB. I feel I know you well as I spent the last few days reading your old and current primal journals and both your calorie counting ones. You have my utmost admiration. My health issues are minor compared to yours but never the less I want to stay as healthy as possible to minimise any others that may pop up to surprise me.

I also realise through 48yrs (I'm 67) of CW eating and dieting (used WW 4 times and lost the weight but also put it all back on), that it is not so simple as to just eat more fat and ignore the amounts. I definitely need to keep a check on calories. I've been experimenting over the last 6 months by eating more fat (weighing and measuring but not restricting) and have found that if I want to eat all those nuts and lots of coconut oil etc, then the weight piles on. If I restrict back to my caloric level (around 1350 calories) I lose it again and can maintain comfortably. For me eating primal means I can maintain a healthy weight without feeling hungry but importantly not feeling deprived because I can't eat all the cakes and dessert baking I used to do. Those things do not even tempt me any more and the flavour of whole foods is so much better now that my tastebuds are not distorted by sugar.

My husband (73) has joined me in this and we have never felt better.
    Last edited by kahiba; 07-21-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: space paragraphs
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kahiba View Post
    it is not so simple as to just eat more fat and ignore the amounts. I definitely need to keep a check on calories.
    For me eating primal means I can maintain a healthy weight without feeling hungry but importantly not feeling deprived because I can't eat all the cakes and dessert baking I used to do. Those things do not even tempt me any more and the flavour of whole foods is so much better now that my tastebuds are not distorted by sugar.

My husband (73) has joined me in this and we have never felt better.
    I'm so glad both of you have decided to make this change. It is never too late. My best friend who is 81 and my Dad who is 86 have both gone Primal lately and are having excellent results, lots of medications have been discontinued, better blood pressure control, elimination of hypoglycemia, the list goes on.

Page 55 of 76 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast