Page 52 of 76 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 52

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ok gals, I have question for you all. Have any of you experienced feeling clumsier than usual? Lately I have been very clumsy. Breaking dishes and running into things. I really hate it because I have always been very coordinated.
    I have noticed a slow decline in my coordination for a few years now but it seems to be getting exponentially worse. Maybe turning 60 threw me over the edge of something. Maybe I have a deficiency of some kind.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

medic36 is offline Junior Member
    Wow, you ladies are very motivating. Reading through your posts gives me great encouragement and some insight. I just got on the PB bandwagon a few months ago. I did atkins and South beach but always drifted back to lazy habits, and during medic school developed a minor addiction to red bull. In the few months since I've been serious things changed! Then when I fell off the wagon for a few weeks, I noticed how much had changed for the better when my face broke out (I'm 51) and my energy dropped to about a 1. I got back up on the wagon and I feel so much better, but reading your posts made me realize that my mouth hasn't bothered me for a few months. I was getting terrible constant canker sores and inflamed taste buds since menopause first started. No doctor or dentist or holistic practioner could help, although the DOM I saw noted that the flareups had a monthly cyclical pattern about them. Since eating primal (90% anyway) I haven't had a flareup. What a Godsend to be free of that pain! You have no idea how painful it was to eat, talk, smile. Rock on ladies! This is awesome and I'm sold. Now if my soft in the middle belly fat would also exit stage left I'd be a happy freakn grandma.

Hi Medic36 and all ,Ive been reading the posts from the begginning to try and get some answers. What I found is that we are all different. MEdic36 I too am lookijng forward to getting rid of my belly.
    I'm a bit confused because depsite playing by all the rules and scoffing the fat like its going out of fashion I have manage to gain three pounds and 1.5 " around the waist. I was so disgusted I didnt measure elswhere.
    In desperation I am on day2 of a fat fast. Today I woke feeling barely hungry despite thinking I couldnt do this. I hope some weight loss follows it.
    I have been lo carb since January and have never been big into junk food anyway, always cooking straight food and growing my own veggies. I'm beginning to think that the 90 or so gms of protein I have been eating are way too much and maybe they are producing carbs on top of what I eat. I did really feel quite rough for about a month, no energy for anything much excpet sitting around. I seem to be getting to the other side of that now depsite being on very low carbs. I will let you know if the fat fast produces anything of note.
    BTW since putting back 3lbs I now need to lose 12lbs to get to my goal weight of 147 lbs. I would really like to do this by my 6oth birthday in December ,when I started in january I thought it would take no time at all. HUMPH !!
    Barbara

Paleobird Guest
    Well, since I turned 50 a couple of months ago, now I can *officially* come over here and sit at the grownups table. I love this thread all tucked away from all the forum hubbub.

If anybody hasn't been over to the MDA site for a day or two, my "Friday Success Story" was published yesterday. It proves that getting older does not have to be about falling apart and giving up. Zoebird referred to my birthday as being "halfway through your first century". I liked that.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I'm 55 and I've been about 60% primal most of my life without realizing what it was--until a year ago, when I discovered paleo. Then a few months ago I found Mark and the Primal Blueprint, and I really like the whole-life approach. Now I'm maybe 95% primal and 90% paleo. (I don't want to give up cheese although I don't eat it often!) I've never had a weight problem, and I think that's because I've been semi-primal for so long. I was raised on meat and veg, with potatoes only occasionally and bread was just for school lunch sandwiches. Even then I sometimes ate the guts of the sandwich and threw away the bread!

@ Classic--have you had your vision checked lately? Sometimes "clumsiness" is really because you can't see quite as clearly as you used to.

Glad to meet y'all!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Hi gals,
    I'll be 52 next week and I reached my goal of 5 chin-ups by my birthday yesterday so I'm pretty happy. It's a big deal for me because I've been a wimp all my life, I've never been athletic. So I'm pretty happy to be in my 50s and be stronger than I've ever been. I remember thinking in my early 40s that it was going to be down hill from then on, I mean that's what everyone tells you.... aches and pains, lack of energy, trouble sleeping, oh that's just part of aging. So not true!

Hi Classic , I'm not sure what the problem could be. Ive not nticed that myself but I had noticed that I was getting forgetful and many days seemed as though I was in a fog. That seems to be a whole lot better since I have tried to adopt most of the suggestions for the BP ( I too have not given up cheese or dairy but choose the very high fat alternative) I think maybe a normal diet ,even a fairly clean one dosnt include enough fat for the brain to work well. Someone on the forum( not this thread) posted a video given by Barry Groves , who is the first author I read on the subject and amongst other things he was talking about some trials which had been conducted on Vegans over several years and the startling results were that their brains were 5% smaller. I'll see if I can find it and post. Maybe it takes a while for the extra fat energy for the brain to go through the system (probaly talking out my backside here as I am no scientist)
    Barbara

Hi Classic , I'm not sure what the problem could be. Ive not nticed that myself but I had noticed that I was getting forgetful and many days seemed as though I was in a fog. That seems to be a whole lot better since I have tried to adopt most of the suggestions for the PB ( I too have not given up cheese or dairy but choose the very high fat alternative) I think maybe a normal diet ,even a fairly clean one dosnt include enough fat for the brain to work wel for some people . Someone on the forum( not this thread) posted a video given by Barry Groves , who is the first author I read on the subject and amongst other things he was talking about some trials which had been conducted on Vegans over several years and the startling results were that their brains were 5% smaller. I'll see if I can find it and post. Maybe it takes a while for the extra fat energy for the brain to go through the system (probaly talking out my backside here as I am no scientist)
    http://vimeo.com/10533993
    Here it is, if the link dosnt work its in the thread titled 'Odds and Ends' posted by Moochy on 07/08/2012
    Barbara
    Last edited by iateallthepies; 07-15-2012 at 12:35 AM.

LOL, clearly my brain is that much better as I'd forgotten I'd already sent it !!
    Barbara

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    hello ladies - have really enjoyed reading this thread as am having some menopausal issues so good to hear other peoples experiences

- I am 52 and thought my periods stopped earlier this year but they came back with a vengance 2/3 months ago - really long and very heavy ...but am hoping that perhaps eating primally may help ? I have just started really at end of June and already feel some benefits , tum not so bloated, jeans a bit looser - its great that there is this thread as I am sure my body behaves differently now

I hope I can pick up some tips and ideas here as really struggle to loose weight and stay motivated and share anything that I learn too .... I do need to loose weight am in the overweight category 5' 4'' at 163 lbs and have always been a bit over ...have been on some kind of diet most of my adult life and am sure there's a carb link somewhere , chonic cardio also so now have bit of a dodgy knee (severely strained ligament) ..other than that tho I am lucky as so far no other health issues

Page 52 of 76 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast