Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 48

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Yeah for old faves!! I have a closet of clothes waiting for me in about 10 lbs!
    Yeah, I'm not much into changing fashion, and tend to wear things till they're rags...but since I outgrew some of these, they didn't reach that stage yet. Looking forward to more old friends...
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpoison View Post
    So glad to hear this.... I am 59 and still trying to convince myself to drop the grains and processed junk..... Could you be more specific as to what this has done for you?
    No more acid reflux, no more heartburn, down 30 lbs, for me. No weird cravings. No FREAKING OUT when I suddenly got hungry...I mean no shaky sweaty teary feelings. Stronger, too. And yeah, I'm almost 70.
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    MORE energy to get through the day and less hunger, also less time spent thinking about and preparing food. More freedom from being a slave to the kitchen or the appetite!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Advantages: Stable blood sugar. No more 11 a.m. crashes with accompanying irritation and cravings and rushing for the nearest cracker or cookie. No more evening bloat and terrible, embarrassing gas issues - completely gone with the removal of gluten grains. And that's despite eating "gassy" veggies most days.

Ida! is offline Junior Member
    Hi ladies,

I've been reading Mark's Daily Apple for a few months but just joined the forum hoping to meet other 50+ women going primal...so glad to meet all of you!

My story....I'll be 52 in August, am 5'8" tall, weigh 165 and wear a size 8. I was always fat, got up to 215 in my early twenties...lost 72 pounds by starving on the vegan Joel Fuhrman "Eat to Live" diet of no fat and only produce/legumes. It worked and I loved it BUT....I developed terrible mood swings, uncontrollable anger, deep depression and an insatiable need for sugar. Gotta love that I still considered this plan a success, crazy right? I was also running 4 miles every single day and doing high impact aerobic tapes every single night. I was thin but I was miserable. When I entered menopause (which is now over, thank goodness!) I immediately gained close to 20 pounds no matter how much I ran or how little food I ate...it was time to find something new.

I started primal last week....I don't plan to get on the scale for 1 month but I've already noticed changes. My mood swings are gone, my uncontrollable anger is gone and my depression is gone....!! I'm still battling sugar but find that one square of unsweetened dark chocolate or small amount of plain Greek yogurt with 5-6 berries and 5-6 nuts seems to calm me down when the cravings are off the charts.

I love the food and minimal time it takes to prepare everything. I work out for about an hour a day now, either at a ballet barre or an exercise bike or a total gym (I have a stomach hernia so I need some support on heavy lifting until I have it surgically repaired). I must be suffering from low carb flu because I feel like I'm walking through water most of the time, not the usual get up and go that I had on the high carb diet. Would love to get back into the 140s for my weight and get my energy back....reading this thread leads me to believe I just need to be patient for a while and see what happens.

Also...loved the comments about gray hair, wrinkles etc! I stopped wearing make up when i turned 30 and stopped dyeing my hair when I turned 40...and I don't miss either of them!!

Best,
    Ida

ConnieSB is offline Member
    Good luck on your journey Ida! I'm still feeling my way around PB.

Ida! is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Connie, stay in touch, we can help each other!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Ida, I'm going to be 52 in early July and am similar in size to you - 5'6", started at about 154, now at 145.5, heading back to the 130's. Glad to hear you are off to such a good start. Eating high fat is so satisfying. Once you get over the adjustment, you'll never want to look back.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Ida, Welcome aboard! You might want to stop the workouts until your energy level comes back up. They are just further depleting your muscles glycogen stores, stressing you out until you switch over to being a fat burning machine. Go for some relaxing walks and lay off anything that feels like a lot of effort for now. Give your metabolism a chance to change and heal. Your sugar cravings will go away faster if you stop the workouts. Your energy will bounce back faster too.

Best of luck!

Ida, you can DO it! It's slow, usually, 'cause the weight didn't go on fast, but I don't consider it a diet, but a lifestyle, as they say. I've been on it since September, and have lost 30 lbs. I'm happily wearing clothes that I almost threw away, and feeling MUCH better. Hope your carb flu passes soon! I think Barb's on the right track, above...
    Best--
    Kate

Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast