Page 47 of 76 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 47

rainngirl is offline Junior Member

Pushing Statins

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I'm over 50 and have just started both PB and journalling and enjoying both very much. This forum is so inspiring and motivating!

Three years ago my doctor put me on statins because he said it would be a good idea to 'drive my cholesterol as low as possible' even though I was already at the low end of normal. I don't know what I was thinking. Actually I wasn't thinking. I took them for awhile, then tossed them. When I went for a physical, I lied and said I was taking them (Why was I scared to tell him the truth?). He congratulated me on my low cholesterol count - proof statins are good, etc. I need to find a new doctor.

I am really curious to find out what my labs look like after a few months on PB!

I also had doctors trying to push statins on me because of my high cholesterol. Problem is, neither my G.P. nor my cardiologist knew that the statins would conflict with my heart medicine! So when I went to fill the Rx, the pharmacist wouldn't fill it. Shortly thereafter I discovered PB. I've been doing it since March 9 and am holding my breath to find out how my labs are after a couple of months on PB. I'm 58 and really happy to find this thread. It took a very long time to lose ANY poundage even after giving up my sugar/carb addiction. Finally, I'm starting to see slow progress. I do Superslow weight training (Body by Science) and can do a leg press of 405 pounds now. I have easily 100+ pounds to lose and it feels overwhelming. But I have few cravings and, as long as I keep the dairy and nuts to a minimum, I expect to see continued, if slow, fat loss. (fingers crossed) I was really starting to feel like something was wrong with me that I saw zero results for so long. But now I'm starting to see other positive results not related to weight-loss. Having that *#(%@&% sugar monkey off my back is a HUGE relief!

Robin

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rainngirl View Post
    I also had doctors trying to push statins on me because of my high cholesterol. Problem is, neither my G.P. nor my cardiologist knew that the statins would conflict with my heart medicine! So when I went to fill the Rx, the pharmacist wouldn't fill it. Shortly thereafter I discovered PB. I've been doing it since March 9 and am holding my breath to find out how my labs are after a couple of months on PB. I'm 58 and really happy to find this thread. It took a very long time to lose ANY poundage even after giving up my sugar/carb addiction. Finally, I'm starting to see slow progress. I do Superslow weight training (Body by Science) and can do a leg press of 405 pounds now. I have easily 100+ pounds to lose and it feels overwhelming. But I have few cravings and, as long as I keep the dairy and nuts to a minimum, I expect to see continued, if slow, fat loss. (fingers crossed) I was really starting to feel like something was wrong with me that I saw zero results for so long. But now I'm starting to see other positive results not related to weight-loss. Having that *#(%@&% sugar monkey off my back is a HUGE relief!

Robin
    Robin, hang in there! You may need to tweak a bit further, take a peek at your fruit intake, for instance. Some people find that helps, with a plateau...also cutting caffeine and alcohol for a while to give your liver a chance to do its work.

And yeah, I'm SO not missing bread or sugar!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Robin, Sounds like you are on the right track. I have only lost 30 lbs in the past 26 months but, like I said earlier, the best thing is I am no longer gaining when I am not paying attention. That is gold. So, I will take the, little over a pound a month, loss average and feel very gratefull. At this age I have learned to have more patience with myself I think. That is a good thing.
    Last edited by Classic; 05-01-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Robin, I reckon the "other positive results" are, in many ways, worth more than the weight loss. I really feel like a new person. I gave up wheat in 2005 and thought life couldn't get much better, but giving up all grains has shown me how sick and sorry I was for 58 years. I'll be 59 in 4 days and feel better than I have since 15 or so.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Welcome Robin, Sounds like you are on the right track. I have only lost 30 lbs in the past 26 months but, like I said earlier, the best thing is I am no longer gaining when I am not paying attention. That is gold. So, I will take the, little over a pound a month, loss average and feel very gratefull. At this age I have learned to have more patience with myself I think. That is a good thing.
    I think it's a good thing too, Classic, and good on you! Isn't it nice not to have to stress over this stuff? I know what to do and I'm happy to do it, because I just feel so much better.
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

I fit comfortably into a favorite skirt yesterday! And to THINK I almost gave it away, 30 pounds ago...
    Best--
    Kate

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    I fit comfortably into a favorite skirt yesterday! And to THINK I almost gave it away, 30 pounds ago...
    Yeah for old faves!! I have a closet of clothes waiting for me in about 10 lbs!

sweetpoison is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Robin, I reckon the "other positive results" are, in many ways, worth more than the weight loss. I really feel like a new person. I gave up wheat in 2005 and thought life couldn't get much better, but giving up all grains has shown me how sick and sorry I was for 58 years. I'll be 59 in 4 days and feel better than I have since 15 or so.
    So glad to hear this.... I am 59 and still trying to convince myself to drop the grains and processed junk..... Could you be more specific as to what this has done for you?

ConnieSB is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    Congrats!! I have a closet full of clothes just waiting for me to drop some weight. I do really well for awhile....

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Oh, this is easy. Think of all the aches and pains you have gathered these last few years and envision them mostly gone. There is much more but thought I would start this off.

Page 47 of 76 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast