Page 46 of 76 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 46

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Hi Chatty,
    When I saw your statement "I'm on cholesterol medication for the first time in my life (because I didn't lose the fat) and I'm hoping to be able to
    dump it with PB."
    I just had to send you a note. I have done a lot of reading researching the side effects of Statins and am horrified when I hear people say they are on them.
    Please have a look at this article by an MIT researcher on how the brain works and the affect Statins and lowfat eating can have on it. Let me know what you think. If the link does not work let me know and I will email you a copy.

APOE-4: The Clue to Why Low Fat Diet and Statins may Cause Alzheimer's

Eating primal will help you get your cholesterol into the appropriate balance. Read Griffs Cholesterol thread on this forum for how to interpret your cholesterol panel correctly. A lot of doctors don't even know how to interpret it correctly.
    My husband is slim (only 155 lbs.) and I weighed 202 when I started BP. Both of us have tossed out statin medications and trying to control things with PB. Time will tell next time we get blood work done. It's so much better to treat our body with good food than medication/with all the side effects. Wish us luck!...and thanks for your concern (that article is great!)
    Last edited by Chatty; 04-14-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Bashajz is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, Siobhan, I only did the obligatory introduction, have not started a journal. I don't get much time on this website due to full time job, and other stuff to do at home.

My husband is lactose-intolerant, but he can drink raw milk without a problem. It IS sooooo good, I agree. I usually have one glass in the morning, and sometimes put a raw egg in it. I also put some in my morning coffee, yum.

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Very inspiring story, Bashajz! Thank you for sharing it. Do you have a journal? Another raw milk drinker here! I feel it is almost like cheating, it tastes like ice cream this time of year.
    BashaJZ

SueB is offline Junior Member
    I fooled around with dried fruit, figuring it was primal because no added sugar. Not a good effect on weight loss. I also think I started eating more than one piece of fruit (but they are so small). Perhaps there were a few cravings the fructose scared up, I started loosing weight as soon as I abandoned the dried fruit.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Interesting input everyone! I am finding that high fructose fruits are a problem as well, for weight issues and also OA. I have not, until the last few days, lost a pound in months, and have wavered in terms of caloric intake (depending on how many nuts, how much fruit and how much high-fat dairy I have in a day). I overdid it for sure and had decided that handfuls of nuts and a lot of yogurt are not what I need and stopping weight loss (I have about 30 pounds to lose), and that I needed moderation. The good part is that all this has been mostly from a primal perspective (100% at home, but not socially), so all was not lost
    Lately- perhaps it is the time of year -my appetite for nuts has waned, also for dairy and fruit. My physical energy is up too....and I am trimmer. I enjoy carpentry so it keeps me busy when I am not at the computer for work.

Marianne is offline Senior Member
    Hi all -- It's been a while since I checked in on this forum (that Life Thing, ya know?) but now that I'm catching up here and on other threads I'm struck by the number of people who have written about stalled weight loss. I'm definitely one of them, too. It's occurred to me that the seasons really have more to do with this than our busy modern world/conventional wisdom surroundings acknowledge. Maybe Mother Nature intends for us to hold onto a bit more weight during the traditionally cold, dark, and hard times. I went for a long winter doldrums period (about four months) when I battled the same two pounds over and over again. And this is in California with not even one snowflake to shovel! Still, I really felt like hibernating. But now that Spring has finally committed to showing its face, I'm re-energized, feeling great, and dropping pounds again. Anyone else experiencing this?
    My Journal 60 Is the New 40 (more musings, less stats) --
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46274.html

ConnieSB is offline Member
    Been reading so many other discussions on MDA, finally checking back into THIS one! It seems I'm always "starting over" on PB, don't know why I can't just get it together. I think deep down its fear of failure yet again....I don't give it more than a couple days before I vere off the path again....

Went to the grocery after work yesterday to buy fresh produce as we have our own grass fed beef and pork (we're farmers) and a neighbor supplies us with farm fresh eggs for FREE! No excuse for me not to eat PB...so here I go yet again with PB.

Been reading some of the debates on counting calories when doing Paleo/PB. I personally think counting is the only way for me to lose all the wt I need to lose (45-50 lb) I can lose 6-8 lbs in the first week without counting (fluid I know) but after that nothing unless I count and this is when I usually give up cuz it drives me nuts. I think I will give myself 30 days without counting this time. Even if I don't lose wt, I will still be making progress right?
    Exercise is not an issue, I love working out but I sit in front of a computer all day so even with daily exercise I still don't burn off a lot of calories! I will be finding ways to move around more througout the day. It is encouraging to read about so many women my own age having success with wt loss.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Marianne,
    I think you may be onto something with the seasonal thing. I do think that makes a difference. For me it makes a difference because of the length of daylight hours. I live in the NW so in winter we really feel like hibernating and in summer I never get any rest because I work till dark. (and it does not get dark till almost 10pm sometimes) I love the long days but I have to admit I love the cozy hibernation phase as well.

I have lost 15 pounds over the last few months after not losing at all for nearly 18 months. I have been really paying attention to sugar intake and dairy. I stopped drinking raw milk for the duration till I hit my goal wt. Milk just seems to slow things down.
    The sugar thing can be so sneaky. I have a couple of small pieces of dark chocolate then I have some more later in the day. Pretty soon I am eating a couple of figs as well (thinking "oh it is just my 20% here"). When I am very diligent I lose a pound or two every couple of weeks.

I don't seem to gain any back when I am just eating primal without paying much attention but I still have about 50 lbs. to lose. I guess I am happy with it coming off very slowly as long as I am not gaining it back when I am not being so diligent.
    I have lost a total of 30 lbs since starting primal 26 months ago.

ConnieSB is offline Member
    Classic, congrats on your wt loss. Not gaining back wt is a good thing too.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, that yo yo thing of the past seems to be gone now with very little effort. I think that is the best thing about primal eating.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Yeah, that yo yo thing of the past seems to be gone now with very little effort. I think that is the best thing about primal eating.
    I agree! I don't feel the need to binge, I have almost no cravings, and I love the simpilcity of it. Like others, though, I'm sort of plateau-ed. Time to knock off the cheese for a while...I AM building muscle, so that may be part of the plateau. I can tell the belly's down, and yesterday I fit easily into my husband's too-slim jeans, so maybe I won't have to buy new ones of my own for a while.
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Page 46 of 76 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast