Page 45 of 76 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 45

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Hi Chatty,
    When I saw your statement "I'm on cholesterol medication for the first time in my life (because I didn't lose the fat) and I'm hoping to be able to
    dump it with PB."
    I just had to send you a note. I have done a lot of reading researching the side effects of Statins and am horrified when I hear people say they are on them.
    Please have a look at this article by an MIT researcher on how the brain works and the affect Statins and lowfat eating can have on it. Let me know what you think. If the link does not work let me know and I will email you a copy.

APOE-4: The Clue to Why Low Fat Diet and Statins may Cause Alzheimer's

Eating primal will help you get your cholesterol into the appropriate balance. Read Griffs Cholesterol thread on this forum for how to interpret your cholesterol panel correctly. A lot of doctors don't even know how to interpret it correctly.
    That is a very scary article, I knew they were bad, my poor Mum had dreadful side effects (she went temporarily blind from muscle weakness, among other things), but did not realise how bad. And the worry is my older sister and her husband embrace CW and eat low fat and take everything the doctor orders (incl statins). I get lectured about my 'terrible' diet when I visit.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

SueB is offline Junior Member
    Since I'm 62 I qualify as over 50. I don't "journal", but I'm glad to report to all that primal has been a tremendous success for me. Since going primal last September when my grandson was born, I've lost somewhere in the 40 pound range, have stopped my anti-depressants, and generally have adopted a much "younger" attitude for life. My RA is less bothersome, my horse is happier, and I get a kick out of people I haven't seen for months not recognizing me. In January I started a group weight class called Hour of Power which I can recommend to most everyone. You pick your own level of resistance, and the group support helps me go back about 3 times a week. My little arms are bulking up, and I feel like I can follow the program on into the future.
    It is a wonder that it has taken this long in my life to figure out how to make my body work as designed, and I am very thankful for MDA.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve72 View Post
    I love all you primal folks, but I wanna read a journal of someone over 50!!
    I'm over 50, I have a journal.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I'm over 50 and have just started both PB and journalling and enjoying both very much. This forum is so inspiring and motivating!

Three years ago my doctor put me on statins because he said it would be a good idea to 'drive my cholesterol as low as possible' even though I was already at the low end of normal. I don't know what I was thinking. Actually I wasn't thinking. I took them for awhile, then tossed them. When I went for a physical, I lied and said I was taking them (Why was I scared to tell him the truth?). He congratulated me on my low cholesterol count - proof statins are good, etc. I need to find a new doctor.

I am really curious to find out what my labs look like after a few months on PB!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Three years ago my doctor put me on statins because he said it would be a good idea to 'drive my cholesterol as low as possible' even though I was already at the low end of normal. I don't know what I was thinking. Actually I wasn't thinking. I took them for awhile, then tossed them. When I went for a physical, I lied and said I was taking them (Why was I scared to tell him the truth?). He congratulated me on my low cholesterol count - proof statins are good, etc. I need to find a new doctor. <snipped>
    Omigosh, yes, NEW DOCTOR. Bless his heart, what was he thinking since you were on the low end of normal?!? Good luck with all of it!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member

Darn BP

...I've been doing so well in just about all other areas of my Primal journey...lost weight (25 lbs so far), sleep better, less anxiety, more sociable, no heartburn or reflux, skin's softer, even my hernia isn't tender any more, usually. I'm exercising more, as much as I can with bad knees...Thera-band and yoga and some resistance/isometrics.

So I'd love to get off the Tenormin--I only take 25 mg. a night, but still, it CAN trigger type 2 diabetes, which I don't need.

So I tried taking it every other night, with low-dose aspirin in between...and the stupid BP popped back up. Not killer-high, not even freaky-high, but not good (160 over 90 when I'm usually 130-something over 70 or 80). I know it fluctuates, and I fasted for a while and rested and it was back down next time I took it, but I hate taking drugs and I hate even THINKING about this stuff...

Cutting back on fruit...upping the green veggies. Meh...advice anyone?

OH yeah, I"m still about 25 lbs overweight, and on a plateau...
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    ...I've been doing so well in just about all other areas of my Primal journey...lost weight (25 lbs so far), sleep better, less anxiety, more sociable, no heartburn or reflux, skin's softer, even my hernia isn't tender any more, usually. I'm exercising more, as much as I can with bad knees...Thera-band and yoga and some resistance/isometrics.

So I'd love to get off the Tenormin--I only take 25 mg. a night, but still, it CAN trigger type 2 diabetes, which I don't need.

So I tried taking it every other night, with low-dose aspirin in between...and the stupid BP popped back up. Not killer-high, not even freaky-high, but not good (160 over 90 when I'm usually 130-something over 70 or 80). I know it fluctuates, and I fasted for a while and rested and it was back down next time I took it, but I hate taking drugs and I hate even THINKING about this stuff...

Cutting back on fruit...upping the green veggies. Meh...advice anyone?

OH yeah, I"m still about 25 lbs overweight, and on a plateau...
    Me too, being 25 pounds of stuck fat overweight, and have been for several months. I feel that dairy must go as well as some of the fruit I've had since buying a Vitamix. I also, would appreciate any help others can provide.

Bashajz is offline Junior Member
    Hello, women of a certain age--we will be the vanguard of the baby boomer wave hitting the beach like beached whales.

Some current facts about me in a nutshell: 65, 5'7" 139 lbs, married, no children, working full-time, hoping to retire in December to start my farmstand and paint.

At age 60, however, I knew I was losing my "life force!!!!" I would lie in bed after eating a lot of ice-cream late at night (lifelong sugar addict), and feel my life force leaving my body. I knew that, like my father, I was well on my way to becoming a Type 2 Diabetic. So I called a friend who was doing something called Greysheet, and I told her I was ready to try it. She had lost 90 lbs twelve years prior and had kept it off.

Lying in bed, feeling bloated, losing my life force, depressed, with an chronically-ill husband, exhausted, having tried Weight Watchers a few years prior and went from 180 to 155, and then gained back some of that weight-loss, I was ready to even, gulp, GIVE UP THE GRAINS and SUGARS!

On Weight-Watchers, I did lose some weight, but it was a struggle. My friend said: well, you still have cravings, because you are still eating grains and sugars, and ingesting those sets up the phenomenon of craving, just as if you were an alcoholic!

Greysheet came out of Overeaters Anonymous, which was based on the 12-Step program of Alcoholics Anonymous. The Greysheet was the food plan that seemed to work, and when Overeaters Anonymous did away with their different food plans, those who found success on the Greysheet started their own program. I have been doing it for four years, now, and it is similar to a lot of the Primal stuff I read, but more structured. If anyone wants to know more, I will be happy to tell you more.

However, since reading Mark's Daily Apple for the last six months, I have gotten quite an education, and identify a lot with the people eating this way. My husband has even improved, and he finally got off the sugar, for the most part, although I suspect that he still cheats. One of the sayings in Greysheet is "keep your eyes on your own plate," which saves me from trying to nag him into better health.

So I eat grass-fed meat, wild fish, eggs from our chickens (the darkest yolks I have ever seen), our own vegetables, and I do not eat between meals. For the Greysheet part--I weigh and measure every meal, and the prescription of amounts is always the same. I use coconut oil, which I love to also put on my skin, grass-fed butter, and extra-virgin olive oil. We drink raw milk.

From the Primal people, I have learned a lot about supplements, have started taking Vitamin K, Selenium (working up to trying Iodine), increased my Vitamin D dose, and I also take some Lutein for my eyes, fish oil, magnesium.

From other people (12-Steps, Course of Miracles, Eckert Tolle) I practice mindfulness, and daily meditation. I try to place trust in a "higher power" even though my critical mind is always judging that and telling me that there is none. I try not to listen to the critical mind.

For me, on this date of Friday the 13th (a very critical day in my life, and three family members passed away on different Fridays the 13th) I believe that the single most important thing I do today is what I put in my mouth. I now go to radical lengths to eat the best food, the healthiest, and I bring my food with me wherever I go, if I need to have my meals out. We eat better at home than in any restaurant that we can afford, and I love my food.

Benefits I have seen in my health: Greatly improved gums and teeth, vision improved, retina improved, energy level fantastic, plantar fasciitis gone. My life changed dramatically when I put down the grains and sugars, and learned how to eat more "good fats," and stopped eating between meals. is there room for improvement? I want to be around for as long as my Dad lived (95). but he had Diabetes, and I do not want that. I also want to be useful and help others. I can do that in Greysheet, and have sponsees there, and I hope to be able to do that in this community, as well. It's hard to do anything alone, and I believe we need community to achieve the kind of vision shown in these pages and forums.

Good luck to all my sisters! If I can reach 95--I want to be a beautiful 95-year-old crone!

Aili is offline Senior Member
    @Bashajz...I have an image of many beached whales, different sizes, colours and all wearing suits with wild patterns. I enjoyed the rest of your story too.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Very inspiring story, Bashajz! Thank you for sharing it. Do you have a journal? Another raw milk drinker here! I feel it is almost like cheating, it tastes like ice cream this time of year.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Page 45 of 76 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast