Page 44 of 76 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 44

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    You can start out with gentle lifts and stretches, too...I love my Thera-band, and I do some light yoga. (I just don't do the poses my knees hate!) I've lost 25+ lbs since September on PB, need to lose more for my knees' sake, but I'm a LOT better. I lift light weights, too...and I'm 67. You GO girl!
    Wow! YOU are the one going! I lifted weights with SB and had much rather lift weight than "bounce around to a video."
    Guess I was never intended to be a cheerleader with all that bouncy rhythm.

Hey everyone. I'm only 48, but feel much older. Had a total hip replacement at 46, which I dislocated 7 months later. The past several years have been filled with pain, depression and weight gain. In January I gave up wheat and sugar, followed by low carb, now moving toward primal. I've been primal in lifestyle (without calling it that) for most of my adult life. Cutting firewood for heat, hauling water, eating game and berries. I've always been extremely active which is how I kept my weight in check, although I always struggled with weight. I would guess my caloric intake to have been about 3,000-4,000 calories a day, with a hefty majority of that being carbs and beer. Since going low carb I eat about 2,000 calories a day and mostly feel satiated. I have added IF for healing as well as calorie control. I have started doing a lot of bone broth, this makes so much sense to me. I wish I had learned years ago about Wheat Belly and the wheat/arthritis connection. I started out at 234 and now have lost 27 pounds to 207. My goal is 170, but I have no idea where I'm headed with this. Where ever my body settles will be fine. So far I'm sleeping better, less muscle and bone pain, softer skin and no cracked heels, lower blood pressure, joint pain still there in various parts of my body but not getting worse like it was. "They" say you can't rebuild cartilage, but I'm trying anyway. Oh yeah, and my pain sent me into early menopause. Lots of hot flashes (but not when I'm fasting!), I'd like to stay away from taking hormones if possible. My exercise is biking so I have added sprint to my biking, can't do the primal lifting due to joint issues. There is a great thread on lowcarber.org called Lab Rats on a quest that is mostly older women struggling to lose weight even with VLC. They have a lot of great insights and links. Best of luck to everyone out there. We are all lucky to have found this lifestyle and be open to it. It has changed my life for the better.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatty View Post
    Wow! YOU are the one going! I lifted weights with SB and had much rather lift weight than "bounce around to a video."
    Guess I was never intended to be a cheerleader with all that bouncy rhythm.
    LOL! Nope, no cheerleader here, either. Not only would my knees take exception to that plan, it's just not me.

And what's SB?
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    LOL! Nope, no cheerleader here, either. Not only would my knees take exception to that plan, it's just not me.

And what's SB?
    SB = South Beach eating plan. I lost 40 pounds there (but was hungry all time). Until I figured out how to make SB work -- keep the carbs low!

When I reviewed the PB plan, I knew it was for me!

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatty View Post
    SB = South Beach eating plan. I lost 40 pounds there (but was hungry all time). Until I figured out how to make SB work -- keep the carbs low!

When I reviewed the PB plan, I knew it was for me!
    I should have figured that out! My family keeps doing South Beach and complaining about how hard it is. And I just smile...
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

lizeroo is offline Junior Member
    I am almost 51 and making a huge change in my health on a permanent basis. I can't imagine going back to SAD after feeling so good these last three months. I have lost 30 lb with another 30 to go but the best part has been my increased energy and resolved joint pain...NO MORE knee and hip pain after 15 years!

SueB is offline Junior Member
    I am 62, and have been primal since last September. I decided to follow my friend into primal eating when she was seeking a cure for her diabetes. I thought loosing some weight would be nice.
    I've lost 35 pounds, and don't have much more to go. I'm hoping my RA will abate, with indications that the inflammation is lifting. My depression has lifted and I no longer need antidepressants.
    I started wight lifting in a class- to music. Its called Hour of Power, and is franchised throughout the US. It is great for me- you are in total control of the weight you use. I finally am getting after those weeny arms left after the weight loss. I can lift my saddle to my horse easily, and generally feel stronger. My artificial knee no longer aches with effort- Resistance training seems to be critical to overall fitness.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Hello everyone and welcome to our newcomers!

I am 55 and have been on the menopause and primal journey for over 2 years now. Eating primal made things better for a while - much better energy - but then the hormones went crazy and I had terrible hot flashes, anxiety, and sleep problems. I decided to go on hormones - bioidentical - and got relief from most of the hot flashes, but the anxiety attacks were still a big problem. While I have always been a bit of a control freak and a worrier, I had never had these heart pounding, irrational bouts of anxiety before. They were waking me up at night, and making it difficult for me to cope with any stress at work.

The next thing I knew I was losing lean body mass - my weight was dropping, my clothes were way too loose, and I was feeling weaker. I am a small person and cannot afford to lose any weight. I did not have the energy to do weight training. I was just in this downward spiral. I made a couple of changes a few months ago that have pretty much turned things around for me.

First, I started prioritizing sleeping in a dark room. I bought room-darkening window shades for the bedroom. I decided that I would stay in bed, in the dark, even if I was awake. No more getting up and reading or using the computer when I had insomnia. I found that oftentimes after lying there quietly for an hour or so, I would calm back down and go back to sleep.

Second, I added Acetyl-L-Carnitine at bedtime. I had read that studies show it increases the secretion of Growth Hormone at night. Within a couple of weeks of starting this, my weight started to come back up and I started filling out my clothing again. Supplements rarely work "as promised" for me - the claims always seem to be inflated and my actual experience with them is underwhelming. But this one produced the desired results. I continue to take it and continue to see positive results.

I have tweaked my eating so that I no longer snack in between meals. As Jack Kruse said - of course we are supposed to have snacks, we are just supposed to get them from our liver! We are designed to store excess energy after eating and then feed it back to ourselves to sustain our energy levels for hours. If we are eating frequently, we stay stuck in storage mode and the enzymes and mechanisms for using what is already stored decline due to underuse. I feel best on a moderately low-carb diet (maybe 75 grams/day). I easily go 6 hours with no hunger. The only exception to this is spending lots of time outdoors in the cold during the winter - to cope with cold stress, I need carbs!

The last few weeks, as the days lengthen and spring is making its presence known, I finally feel like my body is waking up in synch with the earth. I have more energy, I feel more aliveness. My anxiety is much, much less. I am starting to think I will make it through this menopause thing. Thank god for primal eating and living. In addition to The Primal Blueprint by Mark, I recommend these other books:

Lights Out - Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
    Deep Nutrition
    The Brain Trust Program

Best to all on your journeys!

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Hi Chatty,
    When I saw your statement "I'm on cholesterol medication for the first time in my life (because I didn't lose the fat) and I'm hoping to be able to
    dump it with PB."
    I just had to send you a note. I have done a lot of reading researching the side effects of Statins and am horrified when I hear people say they are on them.
    Please have a look at this article by an MIT researcher on how the brain works and the affect Statins and lowfat eating can have on it. Let me know what you think. If the link does not work let me know and I will email you a copy.

APOE-4: The Clue to Why Low Fat Diet and Statins may Cause Alzheimer's

Eating primal will help you get your cholesterol into the appropriate balance. Read Griffs Cholesterol thread on this forum for how to interpret your cholesterol panel correctly. A lot of doctors don't even know how to interpret it correctly.

ravingkiko is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post

If I am really craving a cookie I eat one and then I am fine for months.
    I hope I'm there in two years, Classic! Right now a cookie or a square of dark chocolate sends me to the convenience store for Cheetos, Coke and Ben & Jerry's. I do believe that with enough time my metabolism will be reset so a bit of chocolate won't send me down a river of junk food.

Hi everybody! Glad to have found this group. I'm 59 and I stopped dieting 6 years ago. I decided I would eat anything and as much as I wanted. Yo-yo dieting had contributed to my weight topping out at 263 lbs. (it wasn't the only cause of my overweight of course). But even though I was making terrible food choices, and binging frequently during those years, my weight dropped naturally to 240 lbs.

About a year ago I finally got my depression (Dysthymia - mild, chronic depression) under control for the first time since I was age 15, and suddenly, I wanted to do something about my health. I started to see a trainer. I was working so hard with her that I didn't feel right about stuffing all that junk food in my mouth, so I started eating much better (in a cw sort of way) and I lost 40 lbs. But I could see that counting calories, and weighing and measuring every bite wasn't sustainable.

I stumbled on to paleo/primal by this path: Med-ex gym equipment to Wayne Westcott to super slow weight training to Body By Science to the paleo/primal rabbit hole. Thank you, thank you Dr. Doug McGuff! I love shopping for grass-fed/organic/local foods. I like cooking it; I always hated cooking before. Food choices are so simple, as long as I'm eating at home.

I had a long stumble from Christmas to the end of February; I really just couldn't get back to eating well, even though I knew how good it would make me feel. I finally hauled myself up from the murky depths (ok, being a bit dramatic here) and am eating very well again.

I try to be very strict: no grains, legumes, dairy (except grass-fed ghee), industrial seed oils, starchy vegetables, sugar/sweets (except a tiny bit of Stevia in my chai tea and the occasional Larabar) or processed foods (again, Steve and Lara excepted). I can say "no" without a problem, but don't seem to be able to say "ok, just a bite" without jumping off the side of the boat. I have a lot of metabolic healing to do yet. 80/20 is something to look forward to, but not something I can adopt right now.

I'm trying to find ways to play more. I'm thinking about taking circus classes! Sounds fun, doesn't it.

Page 44 of 76 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast